Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Audible Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 68 comments I don't understand the logic of recommending Book 8 of a series when I do not have any of the series. Hello! recommend Book 1. Also it would be nice if we could give feed back like. NEVER Recommend a book read by XXX. Also if I say I am not interested in say three books by the same author could you take the hint that I might not like that series or that author.

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 707 comments I've always assumed it's a behind the scenes algorithm gone haywire. Maybe some other people that also liked one of your five starred books also five starred book 8 of that series and the algorithm didn't realize it was a book 8?

Just a guess, but I agree it's nuts.

message 3: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3650 comments Yeah, I've noticed the recommendations are rarely actually helpful. They do seem to take series into account, but why recommend book 3 to me based on the fact that book 2 is on my Wish List? And the other recommendations often seem to come from their Audible Studios best sellers... if I'd wanted them, I'd have bought them as the Daily Deal when offered earlier in the week. :( I also agree that there should be a place to indicate an author or narrator who doesn't fit in with my interest. Sigh.

Still, before any of that, I'd rather have a Notify Me When... feature for new releases of authors or narrators I actually am interested in--give me a checklist or blanks to fill in, don't guess what I want though.

message 4: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1087 comments They also recommend books I already have. I could understand that if I didn't purchase it from them, but sometimes I did. I always thought the recommendations on Amazon were laughable, like "Gee, I never would have thought about another book by the same author" . Or they are just what is generally popular. Or I liked a book that happened to be set in the Civil War so they recommend lots of Civil War books, but that's not why I liked it. I have had better luck on Audible with listeners I follow, when I see they have similar tastes to mine and they recommend something, especially when I can see why it is recommended. Probably the best recommendations have come from this group!

message 5: by Terrence (last edited Oct 27, 2016 02:35AM) (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 25 comments I have a tough time sometimes parsing through whether something is part of a series or no when I go to book sales and get a book blind. Like I got Japantown and then found out afterwards it was book one in a series, and that's a bigger commitment for a blind read. It's ok if it's a continuous drama I guess, but worse if it's a mystery series where every novel feels self contained, but the overarching plot isn't typically a big deal. Never been a big fan of the week to week crime shows.

I ended up accidentally picking up books 1 and 3 of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series as well at said sale, but luckily went back in and got the second book. Thankfully the Dark Tower books I got were labeled 4-7. x)

Ah, you're talking about the feature in app. I need to check my Audible recommendations. I usually find stuff better by searching and checking related books.

Edit: Mine is mostly classics (thank whispersync and free Kindle classics for that), along with some sequels to the few space opera I own.