Play Book Tag discussion

The Colour
This topic is about The Colour
October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Colour by Rose Tremain - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I finally finished a book in the correct month with the correct tag!

The Colour by Rose Tremain
5/5 stars

I loved the ease with which I read this book. The words seemed to leap off the page. I adore historical fiction and this trip to New Zealand 1864 was wonderful. Joseph and Harriet Blackstone along with his mother Lilian head off on a grand adventure from England to New Zealand. As life begins to form in the new house they will all share we learn why each has left, forcibly or not, and bits and pieces of their past that form their identity. It is a complex story that unfolds gently with each new character that joins the story. I was invested in all the characters, likable or not, and couldn't wait to read what was going to happen next. The title of the book is in reference to what the locals call gold in New Zealand. Even though the main part of the story takes place in the gold rush of 1864, the book is really about the unfolding of lives, friendships in unlikely places and relationships; the good, bad and ugly. Highly recommend this book.

message 2: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments How often do you find an historical fiction work set in New Zealand?!

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This sounds great. My husband was born in NZ. I think I'll add this to my list. Thanks!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments I loved it too