SCPL Online NonFiction Book Club discussion

Open Heart, Open Mind
This topic is about Open Heart, Open Mind
Open Heart, Open Mind > Travel Bug?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Clara is always on the move! When she isn’t training for cycling or speed skating she is tackling a major challenge – hiking here and cycling there. She refers to this as “the lure of distance, of travel, of movement” (p. 136).
Can you relate at all to her desire to move and explore?

Why do you think Clara participates in long bike rides in the off-season? Is she getting something out of it beyond training?

Have you ever done anything similar?

How do you fulfill that urge to move and explore?

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Anne | 15 comments Clara certainly has done a lot of traveling. And lifestyle certainly plays a part in her journey.

She is driven to compete and is driven to participate in her physical pursuits off season as well.

I think this has to do with passion. She found a passion and it drives her.

It would be interesting to see what the brain of a passionate person is like.

Passion for something drives people to pursue a dream or goal.

Not all people are wired to be as passionate or motivated as Clara. Or are as physically able.

My passions are not quite so physical or intense.

Getting involved in what I like to do as hobbies, getting to travel the world a bit and being with my family are kind of my passions.

message 3: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Yes, I agree that passion/passionate are great words to describe Clara.

Absolutely! I think it would be difficult to match the physical intensity of Clara's passions. I mean, as amazing of an accomplishment as it was to cycle the Dempster Highway in the Far North, it's not exactly my idea of a perfect Honeymoon.

I do have the urge to move and explore, but on a lesser level than Clara. I love hiking and being in nature, playing sports, and running, but not for hundred of kilometres!

Travel and family are wonderful passions, Jo!