Emily March Fans discussion

2016 Holidays & Events > Halloween Treats

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What's your favorite Halloween movie? Do you have a favorite Halloween book, by any chance?

My favorite movie is Hocus Pocus, with Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker. I don't think I've ever read a Halloween-themed book, but I downloaded one recently that I may check out this weekend. It's a novella about the Grim Reaper finding his mate.

I know Halloween is a controversial holiday, but even though I was raised Southern Baptist, we always celebrated it. It was my mom's birthday. This is my first Halloween without her and it will be very, very different. I'll be starting my health retreat that day, for that reason.

And speaking of Halloween treats, do you have a favorite Fall recipe - maybe something pumpkin - that you especially enjoy making this time of year? I have to take a treat to my writing group next week and I'm tired of the same old thing...

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Call | 106 comments Definitely hocus pocus!! I make pumpkin muffins

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Call | 106 comments Paula wrote: "What's your favorite Halloween movie? Do you have a favorite Halloween book, by any chance?

My favorite movie is Hocus Pocus, with Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker. I don't thin..."

I can give you the recipe its super easy to make and if you want you can add cream cheese frosting

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd love that recipe, with frosting, of course!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Call | 106 comments Paula wrote: "I'd love that recipe, with frosting, of course!"

Definitely! Ok here it is!

Pumpkin Muffins

In a big bowl mix with mixer

2 eggs

1/2 cup veg oil

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

1 can of Libbys pumpkin pie (30 oz)

In another bowl stir together

2 cups of flour

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1/2 of teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 teaspoon of nutmeg

Slowly pour flour mixture into the pumkin mixture, mix with mixer until its all in and mixed then put into grease muffin tins or muffin cups bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes but check regularly because they bake quick.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Call | 106 comments Oh and i either make homemade cream cheese frosting or buy it lol

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Call | 106 comments Also double everything but the canned pumpkin because this is a big can you can use either pumpkin

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Libby-39-s...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Libby-s-Pu...

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindamanthey) | 413 comments I don't really enjoy the scary part of Halloween. I have never been drawn to the horror genre. That being said, I do enjoy the children and look forward to trick or treaters, (Another first in our new home) . When I was a child we would dress up in silly costumes mostly procured from our parents closet. We would take a pillow case and go door to door all over the area trying to see if we could fill it up. We usually went home when it got so heavy we had a hard time carrying it. I grew up in Southern California so the weather was not an issue and we didn't have the safety concerns we have today. Things have really changed.
As for a favorite pumpkin recipe, my mom used to make a pumpkin pie cake that is fabulous. I will dig it out and maybe submit it to the holiday cookbook.
I love the "Halloween Town" movies with Debbie Reynolds.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Paula wrote: "I'd love that recipe, with frosting, of course!"

Pumpkin Muffins

2 eggs

1/2 cup veg oil

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of brow..."

This looks fantastic! I'll make them this weekend!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Also double everything but the canned pumpkin because this is a big can you can use either pumpkin

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Libby-39-s...

https://www.walmart.com/..."

Thanks! I'm hungry already....haven't made any pumpkin stuff yet.
P.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Linda wrote: "I don't really enjoy the scary part of Halloween. I have never been drawn to the horror genre. That being said, I do enjoy the children and look forward to trick or treaters, (Another first in our ..."

I'd forgotten about the Halloween Town movies! My mother loved them. And Ray likes the Good Witch series with a actress who used to play the Colonel on JAG. He's had a crush on her for-ever. I watch them to be a supportive spouse, but my favorite is Hocus Pocus. I don't like horror books or movies, but I do enjoy Supernatural on TV. It's a not-so-secret vice. That, and the new series Lucifer on Fox.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindamanthey) | 413 comments Paula,

I just sent this to Emily for the holiday recipe exchange but I thought you might like it now. It is so easy you can make it very quickly.

Pumpkin Pie Cake

1 large can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Beat first seven ingredients together and put in ungreased 9"X13"X2" pan.

Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of pumpkin mixture
Pour melted butter over the top
Sprinkle chopped pecans on top

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour

Allow to cool and top with whipped cream.

message 13: by Lola (last edited Oct 26, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Lola  | 1001 comments One of my favorite recipes for this time of year is Pumpkin - pecan pie, I think I too will send it into Emily.
You start with either a premade pie crust or make your own .I usually use Pillsbury pie crust . Hugs Lola
Pumpkin filling:
1 1/4cups solid pack pumpkin
1/3cup sugar
1-- egg
2tablespoons half-and-half
2teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I use a 1/2 teas. Wolf is not too crazy about spices)
1/4teaspoon salt
Pecan filling:
3/4cup light corn syrup
2/3cup sugar
2-- eggs
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4teaspoon salt
1 1/2cups pecan halves
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350F.
To prepare the pumpkin filling, combine pumpkin, sugar, egg, half-and-half, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a bowl.  Whisk until smooth.
To prepare the pecan filling, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl; whisk well. Stir in pecans.
Pour pumpkin filling into bottom of Crust. Gently spoon pecan filling over pumpkin. Bake on a baking sheet 65 to 70 minutes, until the tip of a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours before serving.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, boy -- thank you!! It sounds amazing.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Call | 106 comments Paula wrote: "Oh, boy -- thank you!! It sounds amazing."

Jessica wrote: "Paula wrote: "I'd love that recipe, with frosting, of course!"

Pumpkin Muffins

2 eggs

1/2 cup veg oil

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of brow..."

Paula wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Paula wrote: "I'd love that recipe, with frosting, of course!"

Pumpkin Muffins

2 eggs

1/2 cup veg oil

1/2 cup of sugar
..."

Paula did i tell you to double everything but the can pumpkin? Lol

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Call | 106 comments Itried to send my pumpkin recipe into Emily but it kept timing out on me.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you do a copy and paste? Or does that time out too?