Gene Wolfe Fans discussion

Wolfe and Chesterton

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Defrank | 82 comments Yesterday I finished reading Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday, A Nightmare, and noticed some very telling similarities between the imagery and scenarios there with Citadel of the Autarch.

Sorry if this is old hat, but this was my first time reading Chesterton, but I'd heard some speculation about the Father Brown mysteries on the character of Silk, as well as the opinion that reading Chesterton was useful in understanding Wolfe.

After the Thursday read, I'll go further: I submit that understanding Wolfe is impossible if you haven't read Chesterton.

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric | 2 comments Thursday -- a fine, hilarious, dark story. I think Wolfe likes Chesterton a lot.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (brusselsproutsoup) | 12 comments Do tell what similarities you noticed in Thursday and Citadel.

Wolfe mentions Chesterton by name in a few of his works. Off the top of my head, he's mentioned by name in Pandora by Holly Holander.

message 4: by Robert (last edited Oct 24, 2016 09:29AM) (new)

Robert Defrank | 82 comments Charles wrote: "Do tell what similarities you noticed in Thursday and Citadel.

Wolfe mentions Chesterton by name in a few of his works. Off the top of my head, he's mentioned by name in Pandora by Holly Holander."

Off the top of my head-

SPOILERS

The Autarch and his elephant/Sunday and his elephant.

But in a greater sense, just compare the Autarch to Sunday, and the dreamlike imagery and evocations that surround the both of them.

If anything, I give extra points to Wolfe for managing capture that feeling while grounding it in 'realism' by showing how the Autarch's actions are plausible in the context of the story.