Cat's Eye
This topic is about Cat's Eye
Cat's Eye, by Margaret Atwood

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Cat's Eye
Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

GR synopsis:
"Cat's Eye" is the story of Elaine Risley, a controversial painter who returns to Toronto, the city of her youth, for a retrospective of her art. Engulfed by vivid images of the past, she reminisces about a trio of girls who initiated her into the fierce politics of childhood and its secret world of friendship, longing, and betrayal. Elaine must come to terms with her own identity as a daughter, a lover, and artist, and woman - but above all she must seek release from her haunting memories. Disturbing, hilarious, and compassionate, "Cat's Eye, " is a breathtaking novel of a woman grappling with the tangled knots of her life.

I will be starting this one very soon for my 2016 Topic Discard Challenge, a book with a body part in the title. I love Margret Atwood's work and am looking forward to reading another of her works.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I started this one last night. So far I'm liking it. It seems pretty different than anything else I've read of Atwood's and I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments This book was very powerful. I really enjoyed it. The story was very reminiscent of Sylvia Plath. It got under my skin and really made me think of the relationships I had with other girls when I was younger. Even though it is a work of fiction, the book spoke volumes of the power and problems of human relationships.

4/5

message 4: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I'll have to give this one a try. I heard about years ago, around the time that Mean Girls first came out, and I'd seem some people say that the book had some Mean Girls elements to it. Somehow I don't think that would be the case, but I loved The Handmaid's Tale so it may be worth a try anyway.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Rachel wrote: "I'll have to give this one a try. I heard about years ago, around the time that Mean Girls first came out, and I'd seem some people say that the book had some Mean Girls elements to it. Somehow I d..."

There are definitely some Mean Girl's elements to this, but I would say it's almost worse than MG. It's pretty psychopathic.