Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Jamie's Book Corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 189 (189 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jamie (last edited Oct 21, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Here is my primary physical stack for this readathon.
description

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments On my kindle I have
Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix The Asylum by John Harwood Haunted Asylums, Prisons, and Sanatoriums Inside Abandoned Institutions for the Crazy, Criminal & Quarantined by Jamie Davis Greythorne by L.M. Merrington

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Food that will be ready to go:
Homemade crockpot chili
Veggie and fruit platters
Cheese, cracker platter
pretzels
Gummy candy
Sherbert ice cream
Frozen pineapple bites
LOTS of Green tea
other munchy options I will discluse when/if I get into them. :)

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments ALL OF THESE LISTS LOOK/SOUND AMAZING!!!!!

And yes, that needed to be all-capsed / screamed in excitement.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

So organized - exciting! I too am making crockpot chili. :)

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments I'm making Crockpot Bean Soup. So not quite chili, but still crockpot and delicious.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments The crockpot is like a best friend for these. Perfect for the family since I don't have to worry about cooking during this and we call all eat whenever we want. Plus easy to eat and perfect for fall weather. Although it is still warm where I live.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Jamie wrote: "The crockpot is like a best friend for these. Perfect for the family since I don't have to worry about cooking during this and we call all eat whenever we want. Plus easy to eat and perfect for fal..."

Its still warm where I am at as well :( I was wanting cooler weather to snuggle under blankets and read tomorrow. Although, actually, looking at the weather app on my phone, the anticipated weather has come down since I last checked. High of 74. Originally it said high of 86.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments High 70s here as well. I would have preferred the rainy weekend we just had. I would read outside but our neighborhood tends to be noisy on weekends so not too sure of that idea. Still, I am beyond excited with less than 14 hours to go!

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Jamie wrote: "High 70s here as well. I would have preferred the rainy weekend we just had. I would read outside but our neighborhood tends to be noisy on weekends so not too sure of that idea. Still, I am beyond..."

Can I ask where you are at? Because I feel like you're describing my weather. It rained here last weekend as well and I thought the very same thing! And you know what is especially annoying? I looked at the weather app and it is apparently suppose to rain next weekend as well. Rain, why are you skipping readathon???? Come visit!

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments North/central california

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Jamie wrote: "North/central california"

Oh my gosh, me too! I live in Roseville, by Sacramento. No wonder our weather is mirroring so much. lol

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Yep, we are close :)

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Hour 0
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
California, USA
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I think Golden Son but there are several!
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
The sherbert in the freezer I got as a rare treat.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I tend to over plan and optionalize (as evident by snack options and book stacks). I am restless in nature so I am always fiddling with something (slinkys, cush/stress balls, or even just a pen I find lying around) when not actively busy.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I didn't force myself to start this the MINUTE this started. My job has me working nights so to get us less than 4 hours after I would normally even get home is really hard. So I slept in a little bit and am just jumping right in, instead of getting up and dressed and everything first. I am having a lazy day in my pjs!

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Alright so I have finished Crimson Hero, Vol. 12 by Mitsuba Takanashi 208 Pages
And read 30 pages of Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown
as of the end of the second hour!

message 16: by Jamie (last edited Oct 22, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Halfway through the 6th hour.

Stats so far-

Finished:
Crimson Hero, Vol. 12 by Mitsuba Takanashi The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs

Made Progress in:
Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown

Pages Read: 446

Food:
1/2 Glass of cola
Green Apple

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Go Reader Go!!!! Hope you are enjoying all of your books.

Keep reading and have fun :)

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Mid event survey:
1. What are you reading right now?
Golden Son
2. How many books have you read so far?
Finished 3 books, working on another
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
Not sure yet. Maybe hitting the saga books. Honestly not sure what from my pile I will go after next.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Sleep before this even started was by biggest interruption. So I have been battling feeling sleep much of the time. Although I did take a short nap that I hope helps.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
The likes, cheer and camaraderie, especially since there is no organized cheer-leading. There is still a lot going around!

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Stats so far-

Finished:
Crimson Hero, Vol. 12 by Mitsuba Takanashi The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs Crimson Hero, Vol. 13 by Mitsuba Takanashi

Made Progress in:

Pages Read: 742

Food:
Green Apple
A few runt candies
Small bowl of pretzels
bowl of chili
Red bell pepper slices
handful of frozen pineapple bites

Some Cola, but mostly green tea for drink.

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments 17 hours in, Stats so far-

Finished:
Crimson Hero, Vol. 12 by Mitsuba Takanashi The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs Crimson Hero, Vol. 13 by Mitsuba Takanashi Black Moon by Kenneth Calhoun Saga, Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughan

Made Progress in:

Pages Read: 1,102

Food:
Green Apple
A few runt candies
Small bowl of pretzels
bowl of chili x2
Red bell pepper slices
handful of frozen pineapple bites
bowl of Sherbert

Some Cola, but mostly green tea for drink.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Wow, your stack of books is beautiful!!
Looks like you read a lot so far! ~Ashley

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments 22 hours in, Stats so far-

Finished:
Crimson Hero, Vol. 12 by Mitsuba Takanashi The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs Crimson Hero, Vol. 13 by Mitsuba Takanashi Black Moon by Kenneth Calhoun Saga, Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughan Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown

Pages Read: 1,295

And time to go pick the next (and likely last book).....

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Re-using this again for April 2017.

And amazingly enough I thin k some of the books from the last readathon still have not been read (and others saved) and will go up as possibilities for this one.

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments A link to my physical stack of possibilites. No I will not read most of these. https://twitter.com/jljaina/status/85...

Plus anything I have on my Kindle tbr shelf.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Happy reading! ~Ashley

message 26: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments I am back for another round! Book TBR to come...

message 27: by Jamie (last edited Oct 18, 2017 12:56AM) (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Potential TBR options:

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich Vidia and the Fairy Crown by Haruhiko Kato Probability Angels by Joseph Devon Rumpled by Lacey Louwagie The Doll With Opal Eyes by Jean DeWeese Silent Night by Mary Higgins Clark Sanctum (Asylum, #2) by Madeleine Roux Catacomb (Asylum, #3) by Madeleine Roux Grimm Fairy Tales Volume 2 by Ralph Tedesco Vampire Game, Volume 01 by JUDAL Vampire Game, Vol. 2 (Vampire Game, #2) by JUDAL Vampire Game, Vol. 3 (Vampire Game, #3) by JUDAL Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare The Walking Dead, Compendium 2 by Robert Kirkman

**This will be constantly changing between now and the day before the readathon also I might have others not listed I might turn to at the last minute***

message 28: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Haha, it's sad that some books that I have stacked as options for this readathon were there a year ago....

message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments description

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Alright so the above image plus a few ebooks options:
The Apartment by S.L. Grey World of Ash (Ash and Ruin #1) by Shauna Granger Starlight (The Dragonian #5) by Adrienne Woods The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash The Siren by Kiera Cass Nameless by Joe Conlan

I want to try and slim the physical stack a bit more. Obviously I can't get to nearly all of them but I do like options. Still, 1 stack is more ideal to focus on. Any ideas (if anyone looks at this)?

message 31: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 122 comments Jamie wrote: "Alright so the above image plus a few ebooks options:
The Apartment by S.L. GreyWorld of Ash (Ash and Ruin #1) by Shauna GrangerStarlight (The Dragonian #5) by Adrienne Woods[bookcover:The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love..."

For me it helped to look at some of the books and ask would I ever actually choose this book before at least half of the rest of my list. If I wouldn't than there was little chance that I would pick it up on Saturday. This got rid of a few of the larger mysteries and had me keep sequels over untested first stories.

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments 10 Years in 10 Books
*These are not necessarily top/best of each year but still highly recommended*
2007 Otomen Vol. 1 by Aya Kanno
2008 Frostbite by Richelle Mead (Just read the whole Vampire Academy Series!)
2009 The Walking Dead Compendium by Robert Kirkman
2010 Warm Bodies by Marion Isaac
2011 Bioshock: Rapture by John Shirley
2012 Losing It by Cora Carmack
2013 Firebolt by Adrienne Woods
2014 Red Rising by Pierce Brown
2015 Armada by Ernest Cline
2016 Bad Blood By Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Actially be sure to read the whole series!)
2017 These Things I've Done by Rebecca Phillips

My response to the traveler's log challenge: "So far I have traveled to Mars and then to a realm of princesses. Next I will be exploring with an engaging dog, then off to someplace scary (destination details unknown). Throughout my travels I hope to visit the land of zombies, some haunted homes and maybe even Neverland. But this journey is far from set.

message 33: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Read so far:
Disney Princess Comic Strips Collection Vol. 1 by Amy Mebberson If You Were Me and Lived On...Mars by Carole P. Roman

Readathon Stat totals so far:

Books Finished: 2

Pages Read: 121

TIme spent actually reading: 1 hr, 11 min

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Happy Reading! ~Ashley

message 35: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Okay, got my 2 stacks ready for this weekend. Hopefully a good variety of options (will share link to pic soon). I will be doing this readathon in a hotel room. Not persay by choice but be neccessity of the weekend. Most food will be munchies but this will depend on the price of the hotel cafe. Might have a dinner at least.

More to come soon, readathon in just under 36 hrs! Woohoo!

message 36: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments My physical tbr https://www.instagram.com/p/BiGMj8jl-EQ/ Some books are WAY overdue so I really hoep to read some of those. But the ted dekker books are my main priorities.

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Just finished: If you were me and lived in cuba by Carole P. Roman

message 38: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Wow how sad my use was last readathon. Gotta love almost no internet for so much of it. :(

message 39: by Jamie (last edited Oct 15, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Alright so lets do it right this time!!

Rough TBR (in progress) of potential reads. A lot will depend what I actually read and finish before this starts and as I fine tune this. So as of right now I have:

Currently reading (if I don't finish them they will be a part of this):
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) by Becca Fitzpatrick The Burning World (Warm Bodies, #2) by Isaac Marion Skip Beat! (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4 Includes vols. 10, 11 12 by Yoshiki Nakamura Four Past Midnight by Stephen King

Novels (mix of MG, YA & Adult of various genres):
Age of Blood (Ash and Ruin #3) by Shauna Granger Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga, #3) by Jennifer Donnelly Untimed (Rules of the Regulator, #1) by Andy Gavin Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson Daughters Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics The Troop by Nick Cutter Silence (Hush, Hush, #3) by Becca Fitzpatrick Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4) by Keith R.A. DeCandido Whispers by Dean Koontz Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman It by Stephen King Rise of the Penguins by Steven Hammond Unraveling Stories by S J Garrett The Dragon Lady by Angelique S. Anderson Into the Void (Star Wars Dawn of the Jedi) by Tim Lebbon Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts Sanctum (Asylum, #2) by Madeleine Roux The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5) by Holly Black The Isle of the Lost (Descendants, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz Method 15/33 by Shannon Kirk Positive by David Wellington Swerve by Vicki Pettersson Love Overdue by Pamela Morsi Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson Nameless by Joe Conlan Poe by J. Lincoln Fenn Worthy by Lia Black Given to the Savage by Natasha Knight Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet by H.P. Wood Harrowgate by Kate Maruyama The Apartment by S.L. Grey The Donors by Jeffrey Wilson We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson The Adorned by John Tristan EverFall by Joe Hart Brightwood by Tania Unsworth Nine by Zach Hines Q Island by Russell James Carnival by William W. Johnstone

Graphic Novels
Saga, Vol. 7 (Saga, #7) by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 2 by Ralph Tedesco

Skip Beat! (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5 Includes vols. 13, 14 15 by Yoshiki Nakamura Tail of the Moon, Volume 1  by Rinko Ueda (And the rest of the series for both these. Skip Beat priority.

Non-fiction
Shirley Jackson A Rather Haunted Life by Ruth Franklin Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson The Sparkle Effect Release Your Radiance that Wins Beyond Beauty by Kristen Dalton Wolfe Snickers from the Front Pew Confessions from Two Preacher's Kids by Todd Hafer Year of No Clutter by Eve O. Schaub

message 40: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Jamie wrote: "Alright so lets do it right this time!!

Rough TBR (in progress) of potential reads. A lot will depend what I actually read and finish before this starts and as I fine tune this. So as of right now..."

Whoa! Lots picked out! Nice! Four Past Midnight is a great collection. I must insist that you read We Have Always Lived in the Castle. :) I just finished Saga Vol 2 and have Vol 3 lined up but not for the RAT.

message 41: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Elyse wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Alright so lets do it right this time!!

Rough TBR (in progress) of potential reads. A lot will depend what I actually read and finish before this starts and as I fine tune this. So a..."

With all the noticifications I am getting for this group I missed this. Sorry! I have read the first story in Four Past Midnight but want to read the rest. Saga is a good series (I LOVE Lying Cat!!!!) so if you need a fast easy read to break up any monotony I recommend grabbing that third volume!

message 42: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Okay got a few additions for the the TBR. Mostly a couple childrens books for when I try to wake up and a few short novels more. Finished my graphic novel and Crescendo but still have a long ways with This Burning World and Nos4a2. Will try to make progress bu not planning on finishing them before I start.

message 43: by Jamie (last edited Oct 18, 2018 04:37PM) (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Food options for the big day includes:
Homemade chili
Brownies
Sherbert
Frozen pinapple bites
Apples with caramel dip.
Veggie platter
Chips
Grapes
Cheese bites
Skittles
Reeces Peanut Butter Cups
Peanut M&Ms
Pocky

and lots of TEA!!!

message 44: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Impressive Readathon prep, I must say. Hope you have a great RAT!

message 45: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Amazing snacks!

message 46: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Jamie wrote: "Food options for the big day includes:
Homemade chili
Brownies
Sherbert
Frozen pinapple bites
Apples with caramel dip.
Veggie platter
Chips
Grapes
Cheese bites
Skittles
Reeces Peanut Butter Cups
Pe..."

Yes for Skittles and Peanut M&Ms! :) They're on my snack list too!

message 47: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Opening Survey

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
California
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
To start with: This Burning World. After that I will pick a book based on my mood. I have a stack of options which all sound good right now.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Mmm...probably my frozen pineapple bites. Or my apples with caramel sauce :)
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I am a huge fan of playing the Sims. Be it playing, building or watching videos of what others create. I love this game franchise!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I actually went to bed at a decent hour last night. It is so hard for me being a night owl and then being up at 5 am I normally only get a few hours and am exhausted before this even begins. Whilst I am tired I got real sleep so I hope it helps.

message 48: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 74 comments Jamie wrote: "Here is my primary physical stack for this readathon.
"

Look at that stack...! Go Jamie!

message 49: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 310 comments Maddison wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Here is my primary physical stack for this readathon.
"

Look at that stack...! Go Jamie!"

Haha. I won't get through even close to all of it. I just need options.

message 50: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 862 comments Good luck Jamie & happy readathoning!

« previous 1 3 4