Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Recommended Reading: The Works of Ed Brubaker

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blindzider, Moderator (last edited Oct 31, 2016 07:13AM) (new)

Blindzider | 3125 comments Mod
This thread is for all group members to give suggestions on what stories they would recommend to people that are new to the group and/or to reading graphic novels. This particular thread will be about all work by Ed Brubaker.

The idea is to compile a list of books on each subject/topic from the group members and have a central thread that people can use to decide where to begin.

Preferably, the suggestions should be limited to stories that are available in some type of hardcover: Absolute, Omnibus, Deluxe HC, etc.

Make as many suggestions as you like, but do try to keep it to an "essential/best reads". Only the "top" recommendations are counted, and only titles with at least 2 votes are listed.

# of Votes / Title (through message 16)
3 / Captain America Omnibus V1
3 / Criminal V1 and V2
2 / Winter Soldier
2 / Books of Doom

message 2: by Blindzider, Moderator (last edited Oct 31, 2016 07:17AM) (new)

My top recommendations are:

Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker Captain America Omnibus V1
Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 2 by Ed Brubaker Captain America Omnibus V2
Criminal The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker Criminal Deluxe V1
Criminal The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2 by Ed Brubaker Criminal Deluxe V2

These were good and worth reading:
Winter Soldier
Sleeper Omnibus
Books of Doom
X-Men run
Catwoman
Daredevil run
The Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus
Scene of the Crime

Haven't read/finished yet:
Batman run
Fade Out
Velvet
Gotham Central
Fatale
Incognito
Kill or Be Killed

Did not like:
Marvels Project

message 3: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments What about incognito and fatale, Are they any good?

message 4: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Ronny wrote: "What about incognito and fatale, Are they any good?"

I haven't read those two either and need to add those. As you start reading, feel free to add your recommendation here.

message 5: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments I would love to see the catwoman run in a omnibus by the way.. that would be dreams coming true :)

message 6: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Ronny wrote: "I would love to see the catwoman run in a omnibus by the way.. that would be dreams coming true :)"
DC has been reprinting his Batman run, maybe we'll see a new Catwoman omnibus. I would definitely pick that up.

message 7: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments Ive only read the catwoman run so far.. and it was alot of fun.
I really liked it and would def. recommend it.

message 8: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments Yeah i ordered the 2 war games TP the other day, he did some of that Right?

message 9: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Ronny wrote: "Yeah i ordered the 2 war games TP the other day, he did some of that Right?"
He is credited with co-writing some of each part, not sure how much though. My library has only V1 and V2 so I've never bothered to even start it.

message 10: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments You Can get the complete war games story in two volumes.. of what i researched.. the 2 trades i ordered is around 400 Pages each. Last issue in the story is Batman #634 and that should be included in the secondat of the books i ordered :)
But i dont Think This fits the "good brubaker runs" topic ;) haha

message 11: by Rob (last edited Oct 21, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Rob Pettinato (givexitxaxgo) | 28 comments I would honestly recommend everything by him, but my top picks are:

Captain America run (specifically first omnibus)
Winter Soldier
The Fade Out
Criminal
Velvet
Incognito
Books of Doom

message 12: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Gallos | 19 comments I missed out on the hardcovers for Criminal but finished reading all of the Image trades and it was very good. I plan on picking up the Sleeper omnibus soon.

I would recommend, and I know this is not following the rules, that Brubaker fans consider picking up his new series Kill or Be Killed. The first two issues blew me away and I plan on adding the collected volume of this series to my collection in the future.

message 13: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments Batman: man who laughs is brubaker as well and is not a bad read

message 14: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Ronny wrote: "Batman: man who laughs is brubaker as well and is not a bad read"

I still haven't read any of his Batman stuff. Keep hoping it shows up in my library.

message 15: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 8 comments Scene of The Crime is another good Brubaker comic

message 16: by Relstuart, Mod+ (last edited Oct 31, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Relstuart | 2809 comments Mod
As a Brubaker fan, if I was to rank his work according to my favorites, it would go as follows:

Captain America (as a huge Cap fan I'm pretty biased)
Daredevil run
Winter Soldier run (stand alone run towards the end of his Cap run)
Iron Fist
Books of Doom
Gotham Central
Incogneto
X-Men run
Sleeper
Catwoman
Scene of the Crime
Fade Out
Fatale

I have not read his Batman, Criminal, Velvet, or Kill or Be Killed. I feel like Velvet will probably shoot to the top of his non-superhero work on my list and I'm very curious about Kill or Be Killed.

As a Marvel fan, I freely admit that someone that loves DC more than Marvel would probably rank his DC work, at least Gotham Central much higher than I have. It is very well done. For purposes of this list only, Gotham Central and up would be five star books. Incogneto thru Sleeper would be four stars and the rest threes (all positive star ratings).

message 17: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

What I like about doing these threads is that smaller gems like "Books of Doom" filter up to the top. Most people probably don't even know about it or overlook it.

I'm really excited about Velvet as well.

When I have time I was thinking about taking a photo of just my Brubaker HC collection...