Horror Aficionados discussion

Character Changes - Book to Film Adaptations...

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul | 5 comments Hey folks - a few months ago I read 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' and really enjoyed it. Recently I started reading Ransom Riggs follow up, 'Hollow City' - a few pages in, I decided one evening to see Tim Burton's film adaptation of Home for Peculiar Children and became very confused with the character swaps....

Similarly, I was left feeling somewhat confused with 'The Girl With All The Gifts' - I love Glenn Close as an actress, but the execution of the character Dr Caroline Caldwell was all wrong having developed this character in my mind from the descriptions in the book.

With these experiences and my recent post to 'The Mist' (Stephen King) discussion here on HA, this got me thinking....

What film adaptions have you seen where you have been left scratching your head thinking 'what/why did you do that to an amazing character when adapting them for the big screen?.....'

message 2: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (new-vogue-ravyn) | 113 comments It's not horror related, but the film of The Other Boleyn Girl is an abomination. Talk about missing the point of the original novel. (view spoiler) The only redeeming feature is how pretty Natalie Portman looks in Tudor dress.

I was really not keen on the Chocolat film either, they completely changed the ending. (view spoiler) Sadly Harris' following books decided to go with the film continuity. *grumbles*

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 470 comments One I really disliked was the wife of JAck Torrence in The shining; not at all what S. King wrote about! And one that gets me even angryer is Mina from Dracula. In the adaptation she lost everything she was, completely and became just stupid in my opinion! She was so smart, and she was such ahead for that period.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Oh man, I cannot watch Kubrick's film version of The Shining at all. I spend most of my time getting all aggravated by the stupidity and uselessness of Wendy.

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 470 comments Holly wrote: "Oh man, I cannot watch Kubrick's film version of The Shining at all. I spend most of my time getting all aggravated by the stupidity and uselessness of Wendy."

Totally agree! I only watched it once.

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I keep expecting to like it more than I do. I really should read the book.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul | 5 comments For some reason, I just take Kubrick's Shining and King's Shining as two totally separate offerings...

message 8: by WendyB (last edited Oct 23, 2016 03:31PM) (new)

WendyB  | 2975 comments Mod
Holly wrote: "Oh man, I cannot watch Kubrick's film version of The Shining at all. I spend most of my time getting all aggravated by the stupidity and uselessness of Wendy."

I share a name with that stupid character. Why couldn't she have been more interesting?! :(
It didn't help that Shelley Duvall couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Awful.

message 9: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments lol Wendy now ur whining too lol

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul | 5 comments Kubrick' Shining does have its foot firmly is the classic horror film 'hall of fame' - even if you don't like the adaptation from King's novel, Kubrick's take on King's work opened up a whole new literary world to readers who thought 'I'm gonna check this Stephen King dude out...' & will continue to do so - so surely more King readers/followers is a good thing...I personally have no beef with Kubrick's film...

message 11: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2975 comments Mod
Kevin. wrote: "lol Wendy now ur whining too lol"

:D
I stick with what I'm good at! lol

message 12: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Lol. Oh really. About everything lol

message 13: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1450 comments Is it wrong that Duvall's performance in The Shining had me cheering for Jack to kill her? Total milksop.

I know it isn't horror, but the biggest difference between a movie and the novel it was "based" upon would have to be Forrest Gump. The only similarities are the names.

message 14: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments Just about every version of Frankenstein.

message 15: by Matt (new)

Matt Wanicur (mattwanicur) | 23 comments I know this isn't film, but I didn't see a thread on television shows. What about Mike Vogel's performance as Dale Barbara (Barbie) from Under the Dome? Although most likely no fault of his own (Showrunner Brian K. Vaughn and the studio obviously had a lot of input as well), but Barbie was turned into a COMPLETELY different character then the well thought out Barbie from the novel. Physically, in the novel Barbie was considerably younger then Julia, and never described as nearly as buff as Mike Vogel. Personality wise, he was much more of a reluctant hero and less abrasive then his portrayal. It just took me out of the show how they only had their name in common.

message 16: by Erin (last edited Oct 24, 2016 03:05AM) (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6973 comments Matt wrote: "I know this isn't film, but I didn't see a thread on television shows. What about Mike Vogel's performance as Dale Barbara (Barbie) from Under the Dome? Although most likely no fault of his own (Sh..."

I didn't watch the entire series but the seasons I did watch, the one I felt was a good casting choice was Dean Norris (Big Jim).

message 17: by Matt (new)

Matt Wanicur (mattwanicur) | 23 comments Dean Norris was excellent! Although when reading the book I always envisioned John Goodman. Again they did ignore King's physical description of Big Jim being overpowering, but Dean definitely portrayed him just as sinister. Up until that last season where the show just went off the rails.

message 18: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Holly wrote: "Oh man, I cannot watch Kubrick's film version of The Shining at all. I spend most of my time getting all aggravated by the stupidity and uselessness of Wendy."

THANK YOU!!

I get so tired of hearing how The Shining is genius. Maybe as a separate horror movie but I can't do that when it's based off a book. I liked the television adaptation much better.

I hate when they make arbitrary changes to character and events. I can see why they do sometimes for time but character names and personality drives me nuts.

The first movie of The Hobbit wasn't too bad but oh my god the sequels went off the rails. I hated everything they added to it. The love story, the Sauron crap, how they made Bard. Everything. Smaug was pretty awesome though. But they screwed him up even.

On a funny note though: I am infamous in the house for pausing movies to bitch about them or talk about them or give trivia and talk about the scene and stuff like that. It drives my dad insane. So, when we were watching The Hobbit he counted how many times I paused it. The first movie was relatively low. The third movie alone was 180 times. Yeah, it pissed me off that badly, lol. So, weird of advice, if anyone watches a movie based on a book with me...be prepared for pausing.

message 19: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments At least you pause it instead of just griping over the dialogue. That must have made the 3rd movie really long though.

message 20: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "At least you pause it instead of just griping over the dialogue. That must have made the 3rd movie really long though."

It did, lol. Yeah, I don't like to gripe over a movie and I try to keep it to as much a minimum as possible but that particular one ticked me off, lol.

The movie Vampires with James Woods is so different from the book they only share a title as well. Everything is so different.

Another that always irritated me was Silent Hill. Not a book i know, but changing the character of Harry into a female just because Harry (in the directors opinion) had more feminine attributes. And he also wanted a female-centric cast. Which is fine but since Harry is basically a pawn between two women I don't see why it would have hurt. Especially since the story really belongs to the ladies.

message 21: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments They changed the gender of the main character of the Ring too. And a lot of stuff about the other characters too, I think.

message 22: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "They changed the gender of the main character of the Ring too. And a lot of stuff about the other characters too, I think."

Oh yeah. They changed quite a bit in that. I'm really looking forward to the IT remake. I'm hoping with more time they can adhere to the story better. The two i disliked most in that were Richie and Beverly.

I don't want to even mention The Stand, lol

message 23: by Kylie (last edited Nov 09, 2016 04:53AM) (new)

Kylie (new-vogue-ravyn) | 113 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "They changed the gender of the main character of the Ring too. And a lot of stuff about the other characters too, I think."

Yes, in the novel Asakawa is a male journalist and has a wife and baby. Ryuji is his friend. Also the circumstances surrounding Sadako's death are different (view spoiler). The rest of the book series goes down more of a medical sci-fi route, whereas the films don't (the initial sequel Rasen (Spiral) did, but it didn't do very well and was ignored and rebooted by Ring 2 instead).