Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

60 views
SF/F Book Recommendations > Looking for new Fantasy Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments Hey guys i recently really got into my SF again to take a break from fantasy. Now i really want to go back to fantasy but I'm having trouble finding books I think I will enjoy. I find two many are just SOIAF clones.

I'm looking for books similar to David Gemmel's Legend (I know theres sequels but, how to explain, have you ever read a book so perfect that the idea that anything could follow on is ridiculous) Glenn Cook's Black Company, Lord of the Rings or the First Red Knight book my Miles Cameron (The sequels were rather dull).
I also love Prince of Thorns books but found the sequel series prince of fools kind of pointless.

Any recommendations for books with big battles, good characters preferably something with orcs or monsters as the baddies and not to much politics. Song of ice and fire is great but it can be a little long winded at times.


message 2: by Steph (new)

Steph (kingsteph) Daniel wrote: "Hey guys i recently really got into my SF again to take a break from fantasy. Now i really want to go back to fantasy but I'm having trouble finding books I think I will enjoy. I find two many are ..."

A court of thorns and roses, Dreams of gods and monsters, Runemarks, Harry Potter, and sorry, but I don't read that many high fantasy books so, I don't have that many recommendations.


message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments KingSteph wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Hey guys i recently really got into my SF again to take a break from fantasy. Now i really want to go back to fantasy but I'm having trouble finding books I think I will enjoy. I fin..."

Thanks KingSteph but those books seem a little to YA for me. I think I'm probably the only person in the world who has zero interest in Harry Potter. Something abou that universe never really worked for me :) Thanks or the suggestions though :D


message 4: by Steph (new)

Steph (kingsteph) Daniel wrote: "KingSteph wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Hey guys i recently really got into my SF again to take a break from fantasy. Now i really want to go back to fantasy but I'm having trouble finding books I think I..."

No problem


message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2228 comments The Magic of Recluce & the rest make up a great fantasy series. L.E. Modesitt Jr. has several other fantasy & SF books & series that are good, too. Where Recluce looks at a balance between order & chaos from both sides, his Soprano Sorceress works with magic through the perfect pitch of her voice (his wife teaches singing at a college). Another series starts with Legacies. 2 trilogies & duology. Most of these books aren't quite as action-packed as Gemmel's series, though.

Jhereg is the first of the Vlad the Assassin books by Steven Brust. Vlad is awesome.

Furies of Calderon is the first book in Jim Butcher's 6 book Codex Alera series. He's most famous for the Harry Dresden books.

Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny is the first of a 5 book series. That's followed by another 5 book series that's not quite as good.

If you want a mix of SF & magic, The Price of the Stars is space ships & sorcerers, sort of. I'm not sure how many books are in this universe. I originally read a trilogy, but there are other books before & after.


message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2668 comments The Thousand Names is one of the few books where I actually enjoyed reading the battle scenes. But it doesn't have orcs, etc as the baddies, in fact the magic is very subtle until the end. It's flintlock/gunpower fantasy, so think 1800's European military against a kind of middle eastern one.


message 7: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments Maybe Abercrombie's First Law Series (beginning with Before They Are Hanged) or Richard Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes (beginning with The Steel Remains)?


message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Miller (httpwwwgoodreadscomklmiller) | 46 comments Daniel wrote: "Hey guys i recently really got into my SF again to take a break from fantasy. Now i really want to go back to fantasy but I'm having trouble finding books I think I will enjoy. I find two many are ..."
HI, have you read the Red Rising series? they are the best I've read.


message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments Jim wrote: "The Magic of Recluce & the rest make up a great fantasy series. L.E. Modesitt Jr. has several other fantasy & SF books & series that are good, too. Where Recluce look..."

Cool thanks they look awesome. Jhereg looks awesome just the type of book I love., Princes of amber and Calderon are really looking good. I read the first dredan files book Storm Front and enjoyed that.

Thanks for the books they look cool.


message 10: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments Andrea wrote: "The Thousand Names is one of the few books where I actually enjoyed reading the battle scenes. But it doesn't have orcs, etc as the baddies, in fact the magic is very subtle until t..."

I've read the Thousand names and really enjoyed it. Its basically a set by set retelling of Napoleon's time in Egypt. I read half of the sequel which was MUCH more political and had a lot less action. I heard the third one is very good though, have you read it?


message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments Hillary wrote: "Maybe Abercrombie's First Law Series (beginning with Before They Are Hanged) or Richard Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes (beginning with The Steel Remains)?"

The steel remains looks pretty cool and the first law series is also on my TBR list. Heard Abercrombie is a great author.


message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments Kathy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Hey guys i recently really got into my SF again to take a break from fantasy. Now i really want to go back to fantasy but I'm having trouble finding books I think I will enjoy. I fin..."

It looks cool. Strikes a similar cord to the hunger games and them other movies, is it similar?


message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2668 comments Daniel wrote: 've read the Thousand names and really enjoyed it. Its basically a set by set retelling of Napoleon's time in Egypt. I read half of the sequel which was MUCH more political and had a lot less action. I heard the third one is very good though, have you read it?

Yes, I enjoyed all the series so far (still read the one that just came out) but I also like the political stuff. There is a return to more action in the third


message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments Andrea wrote: "Daniel wrote: 've read the Thousand names and really enjoyed it. Its basically a set by set retelling of Napoleon's time in Egypt. I read half of the sequel which was MUCH more political and had a ..."

I find a lot of the political stuff in most books is really simiilar. I used to love it but now I just find it rather tedious. I would rather more character development :D


RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Jim wrote: "Jhereg is the first of the Vlad the Assassin books by Steven Brust. Vlad is awesome.

Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny is the first of a 5 book series. That's followed by another 5 book series that's not quite as good. "


Ditto for both of these series. I stopped reading the Brust books somewhere in the middle, not due to lack of quality but I just couldn't keep all the characters straight anymore. I need to start at the beginning and read the whole series. Also need to read the 2nd Amber series.


message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) All First Law novels from Abercrombie, trilogy then the three stand-alone novels. (Don't bother with the YA trilogy.)

If you can handle the Malazan series then go for it.

Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogy is also very good with nonstop action, great battles and awesome magic system.

If you want something different but still grimdark and has expansive worldbuilding plus cool magic system and genderbending roles, try Kameron Hurley's Worldbreaker Saga, starting with The Mirror Empire.


message 17: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (beardednomad51) | 32 comments Silvana wrote: "All First Law novels from Abercrombie, trilogy then the three stand-alone novels. (Don't bother with the YA trilogy.)

If you can handle the Malazan series then go for it.

Brian McClellan's Powde..."



I already have the first First Law book in the post. I heard Abercrombie is a great author. World Breaker looks pretty cool too.

Whats the Malazan Series?


message 18: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Why you need to read the Malazan series? Tor has the answer:

http://www.tor.com/2016/09/06/14-reas...


back to top