CS115 - PLC Group 6 discussion

Week 9 Katrina's post

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philomena (new)

Philomena McPhee | 5 comments Mod
When you think about a productive learning environment, what do you picture? As a teacher how would you ensure that you are creating a productive learning environment?

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily McDevitt | 7 comments A productive learning environment to me looks like the teacher being friendly and the children enjoying what they are learning about. Also being very active with their work and not slacking off. As a teacher I would make sure the kids are enjoying the work they are doing so they will be productive with their work. I'd also make sure the kids who are talking to much were separated so they are not distracted. I would also walk around the room when I give the students a assignment so that if they need help I can be their for them and keep the productive learning environment still in progress.

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Parker | 11 comments Personally, I tend to work and learn productively when it is quiet and little to no distractions, depending on the circumstances. I picture a class that is well organized. As a teacher, I would make sure that students are becoming engaged, and interacted within the class. I would want to know that my students are learning the stuff that they need to become successful. I know that some students learn in different ways and I would incorporate all of the learning styles to help the students learn to their best ability. I would make sure that my students are understanding what is being taught.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Bonin | 10 comments When I think of a productive learning environment, I picture a classroom where student's are being challenged but are also feeling confident and accomplished by the ned of a lesson. Leaving a student confused or unsure after a lesson to me, is not a productive learning environment, because that child will go home and struggle and become frustrated, and they are not learning that way. Another idea that makes me think productive learning environment, is multiple different teaching styles being presented in each lesson. Each lesson should be taught in a variety of ways, so that all students can learn the lesson int he best way possible for them. If they aren't learning it the first time, then reapplying the learning to another lesson will be impossible.

I will make sure when I am a teacher that I will use a different teaching technique in each lesson, as well as combining a few learning styles to accommodate those who learn in more than one way. I will be sure to have an open door policy, where a student could come to me anytime and express an opinion about their learning and I would be willing to change or accommodate where it is needed. I would want to feel like all of my students are learning and if i notice a child is struggling I would set up a one on one time to specifically work with just them on the area they are struggling in, in a learning style that works best for them. I would like to let students run some lessons as well, I would educate them on how and what the topic is and have them present it to the class, using whatever learning style technique they think would be most effective, to try and get the class adjusted to using other techniques.

message 5: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy | 24 comments A productive learning environment is an environment where students are continuously engaged in the material they are learning and they stay productive the whole way through. Now I understand that for the lower level grades, staying productive may be a bit challenging, but with behavior reinforcement and perseverance, it is possible. Picture this; I am teaching in a second-grade classroom, and students are working on math skills in groups. Each group has a different activity to work on; one group is working on addition, another group working on subtraction, and the last group is working on basic word problems. Each student works independently on their assigned activity, but if they need help, they can ask their peers in their group for help. I won’t hover over the students, but I will monitor and check in on them to make sure they stay on task and know what they are doing. If needed, I will help them if their group is unsure of a problem, but for the most part, they will work by themselves and gain assistance from their peers. Not only does this create a productive learning environment, but it teaches students how to work independently and collaboratively. And they also get the opportunity to work on their communication skills as well.

message 6: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy | 24 comments Emily
You had some good points, like how students should enjoy what they're learning and not be slacking off, but it would be even better if you elaborated more on your ideas. I also suggest proofreading your response before submitting it due to the fact that some of your sentences were a bit difficult to read. Overall, your response was well-thought out.

message 7: by Emily M (new)

Emily M | 7 comments When I picture a productive learning environment I imagine a number of things. The very first thing I think of is Dimension One in A Different Kind of Classroom by Robert Marzano. In this book Marzano writes about the dimensions of learning, the first one being about classroom climate. In this chapter, Marzano basically says that your students need to feel accepted by teachers and peers as well as experience a sense of comfort and order in the classroom. Marzano goes into detail in this by; a classroom decorated in a way that is inviting and promotes creative thinking, the students are actively listening and asking questions when the teacher is lecturing, the students working in small groups many times throughout the day, and it’s normal and encouraged for students to ask questions and get involved in the classroom activities and discussions. This is exactly what I picture when I think of a productive learning environment. As a teacher, I would make my lessons inviting and engaging. This would also help break down the walls of students being scared of asking questions because they’re focused on how fun the activity is they aren’t focused on whether they’re right or wrong. I would decorate my classroom with student work and other decorations that make students feel safe. I would also make time for lecture type discussions but I would also have my students work in small groups of three or four and discuss different topics that relate to the lesson. This allows the shy students a chance to get involved in class without having to talk in front of the whole class.

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 8 comments A productive learning environment can look differently for all types of teachers. For me, the environment would look like a classroom filled with hard working children engaged in what I'm teaching. Also, I would relate everything being taught to the outside world and how it can be used. I would make sure all learning styles were touched upon, for example, visual learners, auditory learners, and so on and so forth. I would not be a teacher who stays at the front of the class I would teach from the back of the class some days and the front on others. I will also do hands-on learning along with textbook teaching. I will make sure all my students understand the material and make sure that they are comfortable asking questions when they are confused.

message 9: by Katrina (last edited Oct 28, 2016 08:24AM) (new)

Katrina Booth | 16 comments Emily wrote: "A productive learning environment to me looks like the teacher being friendly and the children enjoying what they are learning about. Also being very active with their work and not slacking off. As..."

These are some really good ideas. I agree that students should enjoy what they are working on, if it is enjoyable for the children they will want to stay engaged. I have had many teachers walk around the room and I feel it is a good strategy to both help children as you said, as well as, to keep children focused on their work and not getting distracted by peers. Great ideas!

message 10: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Booth | 16 comments Olivia wrote: "Personally, I tend to work and learn productively when it is quiet and little to no distractions, depending on the circumstances. I picture a class that is well organized. As a teacher, I would mak..."

I really like that you pointed out the organization piece. It is often overlooked, but an organized teacher can make all the difference for class management and behavior. Younger kids especially need routines and schedules so it i important that the teacher stay organized to help keep the students organized. Great job!

message 11: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Booth | 16 comments Andrea wrote: "When I think of a productive learning environment, I picture a classroom where student's are being challenged but are also feeling confident and accomplished by the ned of a lesson. Leaving a stude..."

You have some really unique points here that I found interesting. I feel is is important to focus on multiple learning styles as well. However, also consider helping students to understand that they will have to learn in multiple ways. Their future employers are not going to accommodate to their learning styles. I also thought your idea of having students present the lessons is an interesting idea, I am curious to know what age group you are thinking this idea for? Great thoughts!

message 12: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Booth | 16 comments Cassidy wrote: "A productive learning environment is an environment where students are continuously engaged in the material they are learning and they stay productive the whole way through. Now I understand that f..."

This was a really well thought out response. I agree completely and I liked your scenario. I think breaking the students into groups once you have seen where each child is on these math skills is a great idea. This would create a very productive learning environment where like you said, everyone is working hard, both independently and collaboratively. Well done!

message 13: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Booth | 16 comments Emily wrote: "When I picture a productive learning environment I imagine a number of things. The very first thing I think of is Dimension One in A Different Kind of Classroom by Robert Marzano. In this book Marz..."

I am really intrigued by your ideas presented here. I would also love to get my hands on that book! Marzano has a lot of great ideas, for sure. I can't agree more on all of your arguments. A productive learning environment really does start with a well thought out learning space. The classroom has to be well thought out and just like you said make the students feel safe. That also reminds me of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and how after basic needs comes safety. Children cannot move up the ladder unless they are feeling safe in their environment. Wonderful thoughts!

message 14: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Booth | 16 comments Jacqueline wrote: "A productive learning environment can look differently for all types of teachers. For me, the environment would look like a classroom filled with hard working children engaged in what I'm teaching...."

You made a really good point that I do not believe anyone else had touched on. The idea of connecting what your teaching to the outside world. This can be very essential in classrooms. It can really help students to better understand material and to understand why they need to learn it. I also think it helps to check teachers because if they cannot make it connect, then maybe they need to reflect on their work. Great work!