Romance Writers & Readers discussion

Author Help > Sharing an awesome book cover designer resource

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Oct 21, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments I wanted to share this seriously awesome book cover designer I found from thebookcoverdesigner.com. She took a design I had purchased from another vendor that never responded or provided me with the product I paid for, and designed an even better cover for me at the same cost as a premade cover, plus is doing a simple design back cover for me at no extra charge.

Her direct email is riga.veronica@gmail.com.

Examples of her work are here: https://thebookcoverdesigner.com/desi...

But even better is the cover she's working on for me right now (still being tweaked but just as an example to show you guys how awesome this is for $50!). I'm sharing because I wish I had known about her a long time ago, which would've saved me a lot of time, hassle, and money on other book covers I haven't been 100% happy with.

description

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Thanks for sharing, Nicole. Those are some great looking covers. I was really digging the Bloody Princess one, and I have no idea why. haha

Your cover looks great. Is that meant to be smoke lingering around her chest? Just curious. And is this the cover you asked for advice on last month? The title sounds familiar.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments I had paid for a "professional" book cover from Fiverr that I posted some time ago asking for opinions on. Everyone seemed to like that cover, but ever since I discovered the pretty much exact cover had been used on another book by a fairly well known author, I just haven't been happy with it. So I spent a lot of time exploring my other options, and this is what I've finally found that I'm actually happy with. The coloring will be slightly different, but I like the kind of feminine mystery vibe that the pink "smoke" gives, but it's meant to be a bit abstract and artistic. Eye catching.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Oh, I totally understand what you mean about the exact cover being used by a different author. I wouldn't want that either.

I do get the mystery vibe with smoke. Especially paired with the title:) I like your new cover!

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Thanks for sharing, Nicole, those covers are all fabulous!! And I'm super happy you finally have a cover that you really like!!

message 6: by Mary Ellen (last edited Oct 22, 2016 02:42PM) (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments OMG Nicole...you just saved me $2000! I was getting ready to sign a contract with a male model/photographer for the cover photos for my 4 book series. I am VERY picky about the look of my male models and was prepared to pay top dollar for the guy I wanted. I had looked at all the cover design sites I could find and just could not find what I wanted cheaper. I went to the website that you gave the link for above and followed the link to the photos the custom cover designer uses and found one that is even more perfect for the look I want than the one I was about to overspend on. *kisses Nicole's feet* Thank you...Thank you...Thank you!
http://depositphotos.com/subscribe.html

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments That's great news! I definitely could not afford to pay 2K for a model and photographer. I'm glad it was helpful.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments I forgot to add, you'll have to show us what you end up with!

message 9: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments Well, it was for at least 4 covers and maybe more in the series. But the first one in the series is not due out until next year. But I'll definitely post it.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 96 comments Nicole wrote: "I had paid for a "professional" book cover from Fiverr that I posted some time ago asking for opinions on. Everyone seemed to like that cover, but ever since I discovered the pretty much exact cove..."

Who was it on fiverr that did your cover?

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments Kathy, on Fiverr I used pro_bookcover https://www.fiverr.com/pro_bookcover

Her cover wasn't bad. It wasnt exactly what I wanted, but I liked it ok until I discovered the same cover had already been used. She also used a font that looked like it came out of the 80s (this was a comment someone made), so I used her origin file to remove all the fonts to add my own, including the placement of title, author name, etc.

Here was what she had made for me https://nickylocker.files.wordpress.c....

message 12: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Munson | 7 comments Hi all!

If you like original art or love my cover (Zendar: A Tale of Blood and Sand) this was the artist that did it: https://www.instagram.com/maheen.01/

Maheen is pretty great. Made a few last minute changes to make everything read better. Her prices are also very reasonable.

message 13: by Marina (last edited Nov 04, 2016 04:08PM) (new)

Marina Lovechild | 124 comments That's a lovely cover, Nicole!! She did a great job!

Actually, this looks like a very intriguing site :) I've been considering selling some book covers for fun since I really enjoyed making my own.

message 14: by Melissa (last edited Nov 04, 2016 05:00PM) (new)

Melissa Abigail (melissaabigail) | 27 comments Nicole wrote: "I wanted to share this seriously awesome book cover designer I found from thebookcoverdesigner.com. She took a design I had purchased from another vendor that never responded or provided me with th..."

Oh I saw this website! I made up my mind that if I ever write a novel and I don't feel like designing my own covers (I actually enjoy making them) I would definitely use this site. The best thing I think is you can see what the cover would look like when finished so you know what you're getting before paying. How great is that? They don't re-use the designs right?

Just a thought Nicole, for your cover--it's beautiful, btw. But I think you don't need it to say "An Adult Romance" because you can tell just from looking at the cover and your tagline. But if you DO decide to include it, I would position it under the book title itself.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments Hi Melissa, thanks for the input. I definitely need the phrase "An Adult Romance" because there are some adult scenes in my book and I do not want anyone underage mistaking this for a YA novel. (I work in the foster care system and see way too much of children being sexualized much too soon, trafficked, and worse, so this is important to me.)