Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Shallow Graves
This topic is about Shallow Graves
Shallow Graves, by Kali Wallace

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments For #43 (A book about a thing that goes bump in the night), I chose Shallow Graves.

It's a 2016 YA debut about an undead girl chasing murderers. It seemed a nice pick for this category as I didn't want a true horror book and it'll help me tackle one more 2016 release.

Summary:
Breezy remembers leaving the party: the warm, wet grass under her feet, her cheek still stinging from a slap to her face. But when she wakes up, scared and pulling dirt from her mouth, a year has passed and she can’t explain how. She doesn’t remember who killed her or why. All she knows is that she’s somehow conscious—and not only that, she’s able to sense who around her is hiding a murderous past.

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm at 65%. The book didn't go at all in the direction I expected (it's not Dexter) but for the moment I'm enjoying the story. It isn't scary but the atmosphere was creepy at some points.

The main character is likable enough and well developped, and I'm also enjoying the "real monsters aren't who you think" vibe :)

message 3: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments And a 4.5 stars for this one. I really enjoyed the characterization and the messages (on the feminist and modern teenager sides), but a little less the whole story. The paranormal stuff was well developed and mostly creepy rather than scary (however, in the last 25%, there's some horror).

I hope the author will publish another novel soon :)