Aussie Readers discussion

Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
This topic is about Gemina
Individual Book Discussions > Buddy read Gemina

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne | 11896 comments Mod
If you would like to join us in reading and commenting on this book - we will be starting it as soon as possible after 1st November.
I can't wait:)

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 71191 comments Mod
I'm sure you'll have some buddy readers Phrynne :)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3241 comments Ooh! I'm toying with this. Just have to get through the Scone Literary Long Weekend first. Will let you know, Phrynne!

message 4: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 22, 2016 10:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carolyn | 8259 comments I still need to read Illuminae Phrynne. It was on my birthday list but I didn't get it (will have to buy one for myself), but I'll look forward to your reviews of Gemina :)

message 5: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just comment when you can Leonie:) and good luck with your Literary Weekend:)
You will love Illuminae Carolyn. I listened to it on audio and then went out and bought a copy of the paper book to keep:)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 610 comments Checking in :)

I've already got my copy so ready to start whenever... Nov 1 will be good, ha ha ha

Karen (winterscomin) | 125 comments I don't have a copy yet, but I just finished Illuminae & loved it, so I'm in if I can find myself a copy by then :P

message 8: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am ready to start on 1st November too:)
How about anyone who wants to join in - just do so when you are ready and we will be careful about marking any spoilers when we comment on here?

Tien (tiensblurb) | 610 comments I started this morning on the train... on page 48 now :)

At one point, I thought, oh, he's so gonna die!
Then I figured it might be more of a challenge to guess who's gonna stay alive at the end of Gemina lol

message 10: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm starting at lunch time:)

message 11: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Managed to read up to page 108 and this is every bit as good as Illuminae:)
Like you I expect a whole lot of people are going to die though.

message 12: by Tien (last edited Nov 01, 2016 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 610 comments **sigh** typed up a whole list of things which I've just lost so let's see if I can remember:

*Am on page 188

*loving how crazy Kali is

Blue Oceaaaan...

*loving the diversity & not just races but also disability (Ella)

*liking that Hanna is more physically capable than Kady (she's really a kick **s sort of chic)

*so far, Nik has yet to grow on me...

*most of the time I'm really enjoying the snarks but then there are times when I feel it's a bit too much/put on/forced? Of maybe that's just me...

*I'm gonna be swearing a lot these few days because I'm reading a book filled with lots of blacked out swear words that I can still fill in in my head but I can't just skip them :/

message 13: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I keep filling in the swear words in my head too. You kind of have to! Or I suppose you could think "bleep" for each one:)

Hanna is something else and she keeps getting better. Nik improves somewhat too. (I must admit I was never really attached to Ezra either.) I listened to Illuminae on audio and it was Aidan who had the sexiest voice in that one!!!!!

message 14: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 610 comments Phrynne wrote: "Hanna is something else and she keeps getting better. Nik improves somewhat too. (I must admit I was never really attached to Ezra either.) I listened to Illuminae on audio and it was Aidan who had the sexiest voice in that one!!!!! "

lol - I must invest in the audiobooks for these I think!

message 15: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reading them is so good as well though. So much clever stuff.
I especially like the recurring gallery of pictures of the baddies as they gradually get crossed out....

message 16: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 610 comments I rather like Marie Lu's illustrations :)

It's the manga lover in me.

message 17: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

And the blood stains on the journal pages. They keep increasing in size - you just know something bad has to happen.

message 18: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

My review of Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman . You will probably be able to tell that I liked it:) No spoilers.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3241 comments I've just started Gemina! And it's definitely not disappointing me at all. If I didn't need to be writing (and catching up on my Goodreads emails) I think I'd just park myself on the couch and read all day.

Am rationing it... or at least trying to.

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Go for it Leonie! You know you want to ;)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3241 comments Brenda wrote: "Go for it Leonie! You know you want to ;)"

I really want to do both things. Just have to get my novel's restructure going the right way, and then maybe I'll read just a chapter or so.... Surely I'll be able to stop.

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha! Good luck with that! ;)

Karen (winterscomin) | 125 comments Gosh, I completely forgot about this thread!
I really enjoyed Gemina, perhaps not quite as much as I loved Illuminae, but it was great in its own right.

And soon after reading it I met both Amie & Jay and got my copies signed! :D They're such great people and really funny in real life as well.
I also found out that when characters are private messaging one another, it's generally actually written by the authors as an improvised conversation between themselves so it sounds more realistic

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3241 comments Karen wrote: "Gosh, I completely forgot about this thread!
I really enjoyed Gemina, perhaps not quite as much as I loved Illuminae, but it was great in its own right.

And soon after reading it I met both Amie &..."

Such a clever idea!

And what a great book! I just loved it. The intricacies of the relationships, the cleverness of the protagonists, and the style of writing - just great.