Mental Health Bookclub discussion

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness
This topic is about An Unquiet Mind
Book Discussions > Clinicians and Mental Health Memoirs

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.B. (new)

S.B. Hart Smith (sbhartsmith) | 7 comments I recently read the above book, reportedly the first 'coming out' book of its kind. That is, a clinician working in mental health enduring a mental health difficulty, bipolar disorder in the authors' case, sharing it with the world.

The book blew me away on so many levels, and I highly recommend it.

Has anyone else read it?

message 2: by Marina (last edited Oct 21, 2016 12:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marina (sonnenbarke) Hi S.B.,

I read it some years ago, back when my (mis)diagnosis was still bipolar disorder, and I loved it. Seen as mine was, as I said, a misdiagnosis, I couldn't relate to everything the author wrote, but still I could relate to some things, and it was a very powerful read. I especially loved it when she talks about, in a way, not regretting having this illness because it makes her feel things more intensely. That's exactly my take on it, too: even though I don't have bipolar disorder, I still think my own mental disorder makes me feel everything more intensely (the good and the bad, obviously, and the bad can be very bad). I am more passionate because of this, and I sort of like it. So I think Jamison's book is very inspiring, even to those of us who don't share her illness.

I really appreciate it when clinicians come out as having a mental illness themselves, it makes them very human and "normal" in a way. Like, they're not someone who towers over us common people, but they're just the same as we are. And I think I'd like to be the patient of a clinician who admits to having suffered from the same illness they're trying to cure. That would mean they could understand me better. (It's never happened to me, though.)

♥ Kierra ♥ (misskay1104) | 30 comments For some reason, I cannot see the title of the book (I'm using the goodreads app). What's the name of the book? Sounds interesting.

I am a mental health and substance abuse counselor and I'm always looking for insight to help my clients.

Marina (sonnenbarke) Kierra, the book is An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison. It's very difficult to see book titles just from the covers on the app.

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Yes the app is a pain, it often doesn't give the picture or the title at all!

I haven't read this, but I picked it up in a charity shop a few weeks ago so looking forward to giving it a go :)

♥ Kierra ♥ (misskay1104) | 30 comments Marina wrote: "Kierra, the book is An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison. It's very difficult to see book titles just from the covers on the app."

Thanks. I will add it to my list.

The app is a pain and I've been wondering if they will ever fix and update it to be better.

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi S.B., would you be up for submitting a review for an Unquiet Mind? See the submissions thread, but it'd be great to get your review as you obviously really liked it!