Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta reader, complete manuscripts, scifi & fantasy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naiya (last edited Oct 20, 2016 08:21PM) (new)

Naiya | 11 comments I am available to do a beta read. I will provide general feedback on plot and plot arc, pacing, character development and consistency, POV, world-building, and really, anything else that jumps out at me.

In general, I prefer to send you feedback on a first chapter, and then check in to see if we're a good fit. (Ie, if this is the kind of feedback and feedback style that's helpful, and if I'm engaged enough by the opening to breeze through the rest of the book.)

If not, no harm, no foul.

My preferences:
- Complete manuscripts only, please.
- I prefer stories in the fantasy and science fiction genres. Action/adventures or suspense/thrillers okay.
- Adult preferred, YA okay, but not Junior or Children's.
- I'd rather not read about love triangles, horror/gore, or anything set in a school. (Yep, this includes assassin schools, magic academies. Sorry!)
- I'm a fan of action or adventure storylines, but do also enjoy romantic subplots.

If I sound like I might be a good fit for your book, let me know! In your reply, do mention what you most want to get out of a beta read.

Thanks!

message 2: by BriaMarie (new)

BriaMarie | 1 comments Hello! I hope I'm doing this right by replying here.

My book is of Science Fiction genre (futuristic dystopia). No worries, it's not dramatic in romance and it's not in a school (characters are middle aged adults). I DO have violence but it's not overly graphic.

The general theme is about humanity- pulling together to fix wrongs and move forward.

The book is completed (about 30 chapters, averaging 3k words per). I am searching a beta reader for the purpose of plot arc and of course grammar! I don't need a line by line unless that's how you work - I'm really just concerned with seeing to plot holes and character development right now.

Right now it's posted fully on Wattpad but if you prefer googledocs, I can transfer it!

https://www.wattpad.com/293367392-the...

message 3: by Essa (new)

Essa Hansen (essahansen) Hello Naiya,

I have an adult epic fantasy, 125,000 words, which has already been through a professional edit. It has a lot of action, a bit of romance, moderate violence, and a few tasteful sex scenes.

I’m looking for overall feedback, especially on plot, engagement, characters, and writing style.

I have a synopsis and the first chapter up on my site if you want to see if it grabs your interest. :) www.essahansen.com/books/drighten1

Thanks so much!

Essa

message 4: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 12 comments Hi Naiya

I have a completed MS (around 103,000 words) of an upper YA/bordering on NA Urban Fantasy (not set in a school). It's currently undergoing what I'd consider to be a 'preliminary round' of beta reading, where a few friends/family and a couple of other volunteers have agrees to give some general feedback.

Once that's done, I'd like to go through another round with more thorough feedback on pacing, world-building, character development, plot etc. I'm hoping to being this in late November/early dec if you're interested.

I'm happy to send you the first chapter in the meantime so you can take a look. It's told in Third person multiple and the first chapter introduces all the major POVs except for one, though we do meet that character in passing.

cheers

Ash

message 5: by Jay (last edited Oct 23, 2016 09:06AM) (new)

Jay Storey (jayallanstorey) | 80 comments Hi, Naiya,

I'm looking for a beta reader for my thrilling 75,000 word YA/Science Fiction novel, ‘The Black Heart of the Station’.

Synopsis:

Josh Driscoll, a teenager living in a mysterious underground city known as ‘The Station’, is forced to enroll as a novice monk at Saint Carmine’s, the Station’s resident monastery, as punishment for numerous petty crimes and mischief.

At first desperate to escape, he’s gradually drawn into the monastery’s ancient writings, which seem to answer questions about the Station’s origin, now lost in the mists of time. From those writings, Josh comes to believe that the ‘Black Heart’, a computer complex of unknown purpose buried in a part of the Station critically damaged centuries ago, is vital to their future survival.

When the governing Council, of which Josh’s own father is a member, announces plans to demolish the Black Heart to open up badly needed living space, Josh forms a movement and leads a desperate battle to stop the demolition.

You can reach me at: jastorey@shaw.ca

Thanks,
Jay

message 6: by Naiya (new)

Naiya | 11 comments BriaMarie wrote: "Hello! I hope I'm doing this right by replying here.

My book is of Science Fiction genre (futuristic dystopia). No worries, it's not dramatic in romance and it's not in a school (characters are m..."

Thanks for the note. I left a very quick comment on Wattpad on the first chapter. Really nicely done opening, by the way!

message 7: by Naiya (new)

Naiya | 11 comments Ash wrote: "Hi Naiya

I have a completed MS (around 103,000 words) of an upper YA/bordering on NA Urban Fantasy (not set in a school). It's currently undergoing what I'd consider to be a 'preliminary round' of..."

Thanks for the note! What's the story about?

message 8: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Good morning Naiya,

Would love it if you would be willing to beta read our newest novel The Neuromorphs.

Here is a link to the book where you can read a chapter and decide if it is interesting to you.
http://dennismeredith.com/the-neuromo...

The authors blog post here http://wp.me/pjyFJ-vM
explains why beta readers and reviewers are so important and that we do listen!

You can reach me at editor@glyphus.com

Thanks for your consideration,
Joni