Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

A Keeper's Destiny (The Portal Prophecies #1)
This topic is about A Keeper's Destiny
2017 Archives > 2017 C.A. King, Fantasy Author Showcase

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jin (new)

Jin (jinokubo)

C.A.King C.A.King
They are out there, somewhere...waiting...watching...lurking in the shadows. Every creature we have ever heard about...every story...legend...myth...all real. Maybe not exactly as we thought, but there is some truth behind it all. Vampires, shape-shifters, zombies, monsters, creatures that dwell in the deepest darkest area of our minds, are around every corner we turn.

Years ago a group of ancient races known as guardians put up barriers between the realms to separate the peaceful and the dangerous, linking them to the main world by portals only they could activate. For years, with the help of a group of hand-picked humanoids helping them, they protected those portals from being breached. Then one day all that changed. An evil King developed a way to rip holes in the barriers between worlds. That began a war with the guardians and their helpers.

Today only a handful of protectors remain. Rogue holes appear at random, allowing access to the main world for all manner of beings. Now many different races live here, some peacefully, but others with vicious intentions, including world domination. For now, most of the main world is oblivious to what is happening around them, but that won't last long. All we can do is hope for a hero.

Book one of the Portal Prophecies Series, A Keeper's Destiny, follows a group of ancient races who join together with some unlikely teenage heroes.The only clues they have to help them are hidden within predictions contained in a book written long ago. Can they unravel the mysteries of their past and over come the deceptions of their leaders? Will they be able to decipher the prophecies in time to stop invading armies? Join Willow and her friends in this fast paced adventure.

Warning: This book ends in a cliff-hanger. Book two starts where this book ends. The two are separated by different prophecies and themes. There are 6 books in the series. Thank you.

A Keeper's Destiny

message 2: by C.A. (last edited Mar 21, 2017 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Escape to Darkness (Tomoiya's Story #1) by C.A. King

The perfect addition to any Vampire fan's collection.

From the Author of 'The Portal Prophecies' books, comes the anticipated new series: 'Tomoiya's Story', beginning with 'Escape To Darkness', the prequel to the main storyline.

Although the main character of the series is Tomoiya, this book tells the tale of another vampire princess, Allaynie. Taken captive on her wedding day by poachers, she is subjected to abuse by their leader, Woden. Greed is merely good business to the man and hunting is his trade. He'll do anything to collect her unique tears for profit, even chase her into darkness.

This novella explores an alternate explanation for the myths and legends that surround modern day Vampires and can be read as a stand alone story.

Book one in the Tomoiya's Story saga is meant to introduce readers to the lore that is the basis for the rest of the series. Using a story within a story format, the main character Tomoiya and readers learn the frightening history of the vampire race.

Another vampire princess takes centre stage. It's Allaynie's wedding day - the happiest day of her life. A chance meeting between vampires and men, changes everything.

The reader is taken on a psychological journey to understanding how one man's greed altered the course of an entire race forever.

message 3: by C.A. (last edited Mar 21, 2017 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Tomoiya's Story Collecting Tears by C.A. King

A Vampire Tale

She had everything, including a secret...
But she wasn't the only one with something to hide.

Graduation as co-valedictorian of her high school class, along with her best friend Moira, was icing on the cake. There was no doubt: Tomoiya, a princess of a wealthy kingdom, was born for greatness. She had everything: intelligence; good looks; popularity; and a secret. Not even her closest friends were allowed to know she was a vampire.

One night was all it took to change everything. When celebrations turned deadly, Tomoiya was forced to come face-to-face with the realization she wasn't the only one amongst her peers with something to hide.

FUN FACTS

1. Collecting Tears from a timeline perspective takes place the week before Escape to Darkness.
2. Collecting Tears wasn't the next planned release in the series - Stalked was. Reader interest in Tomoiya made me decide to release her pre-story before moving forward. Yes - authors listen to their fans. Stalked is now scheduled to be released in 2018.
3. Collecting Tears is the first of my books to contain a major swear word - and only once.
4. If you are worried about changes in vampire lore, don't be. Keep reading! Woden changed things more than you might think and future editions will explore different vampire traits being brought to life.

message 4: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments A Keeper's Destiny (The Portal Prophecies #1) by C.A. King

The main protagonist, Willow, is a teenage girl growing up on her own in a magical world where the events of the past are a mystery. A series of events set her and her friends on a journey like no other, leading them to a new understanding of themselves, their feelings and their abilities. As they begin to unravel all that previously transpired, they find themselves the sole opposition to a plot that could destroy all existence. The one clue they have is a book filled with hundreds of predictions called ‘The Portal Prophecies’. Deciphering them however, will not be an easy task. Written by someone from their past, the pages are lined with riddles and read like poems. Even worse they appear to be in no particular order.

Each book is based on a different prophecy leading our heroes and heroines to new places and new friends while experiencing growing pains along the way. The entire series, delves deep into the understanding of magic and self-discovery, all the while questioning the right versus wrong equation on personal levels.

As the books progress, readers will find some new explanations for old tales, myths, legends, folk lore and unusual phenomena that could just make them question the validity of stories we all have grown up with. Vampires, Witches, Ghosts, Monsters, Santa Claus, Atlantis, Elves, Dragons, Faeries, find out the alternate truth to them all.

message 5: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments A Halloween's Curse (The Portal Prophecies #2) by C.A. King

This Book is a fan favourite.

Why do prophecies have to speak in riddles? Willow's destiny led her to a whole book of them. If that wasn't bad enough a gypsy witch shows up and utters words that made even less sense. Was it a curse or another prediction? With Mike still missing, and Halloween approaching quickly Willow will need all of her friends to help connect the events of the past with the present or there may not be a future. King Cornelius' plan to dominate every realm is woven into the mystery that surrounds every corner they turn. Following the clues will lead them on a journey through the spookiest time of the year.

message 6: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Frost Bitten (The Portal Prophecies, #3) by C.A. King

I personally think this book could be my favourite.

Willow and her friends are back and find themselves under the scrutiny of the magical inhabitants of the main world. Everyone seems to be against them including the directors, the mayor and Keith Quidnunk, the intern journalist for 'The Empowered' newspaper, who no one has ever seen. At the same time Lance has asked for Willow's help, but if she does it will mean having to survive King Cornelius' wrath.

Join Willow and her friends to find out what wonders await them as they explore frozen lands. Can they save Santa and Christmas from destruction? Can they avoid being sanctioned by the magical community?

message 7: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Sleeping Sands (The Portal Prophecies #4) by C.A. King

This is my Beta reader's pick for favourite in the series!

It’s the final meeting of the camp before Willow and her friends find themselves whisked away to different schools hidden all over the main world. When Cassandrhea Tibbins interrupts, changes in plans are set in motion. With ‘The Empowered’ newspaper, run by the Quidnunks, continuing to pipe out damaging articles about Willow, there is no choice but to hide her from everyone. Never has she felt so isolated and helpless. It will take all of Willow’s strength to muster enough courage to face old and new enemies without the support of her allies.

This fourth book of the Portal Prophecies series, delves deep into the understanding of magic and self-discovery. The plot continues to twist and turn as Cornelius’ ideas dive further into madness. Will Willow be able to handle this new pressure of hiding everything about herself from assassins, reporters, and new enemies or will she end up on the run from everyone? Will she be able to figure out the meaning of the latest prophecy alone?

message 8: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Deadly Perceptions (The Portal Prophecies #5) by C.A. King

The book with the biggest surprises of the series to date

With Hilary gone, Willow finds herself at the mercy of the elves. There is some strange connection between the elves and recent events. The elf realm holds so many answers she so desperately needs. It won't be easy though. Strict rules have been broken and someone needs to pay the price. In her journey to discovery, she is guaranteed to meet new friends and find new adventures. Unfortunately, there is also a new enemy lurking in the shadows. Can the prophecies help her this time? Will anyone rally to her side?

Meanwhile in the main world, Malarchy sets his sights on Hilary's old job. Can he use new found power to help Willow and the rest of the camp? Or will he side with Kasper and the other directors? Don't count King Cornelius out either. He's guaranteed to have his hand in something sinister.

This fifth book of the Portal Prophecies series, is jam packed with fast paced adventure that you won't want to miss. Finally, Willow's past is beginning to make sense. The only problem is figuring out what is real and what is not. Can Willow take things as she perceives them? A wrong choice could potentially be deadly.

message 9: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Finding Balance (The Portal Prophecies #6) by C.A. King

The finale!

The cards are stacked against Willow. Two evil kings seek destruction; The Department of Secrecy wants to imprison her; the memory potion has everyone in disarray; and she is running low on allies. Can she overcome the odds and bring balance back to the realms? It all comes down to one final battle – winner takes all. When it's all said and done, who will be left standing?

message 10: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Book Trivia: Portal Prophecies

A few things you may not know about the Guardian home world.
1. Age is calculated in cycles. One cycle is equal to ten thousand years.
2. People transition to adult at 16 cycles. At this point their hair becomes a permanent colour and they develop their magical gifts.
3. They have a magical ceremony which we would conside the same as marriage, called the pledge. Only two individuals who are meant to be together can be bound by the pledge. The binding cannot be tricked by illusion or magics.
4. Females ask the men to marry and usually between 16 and 18 cycles.
5. Pregnancy last the same amount of time as in our world. The baby is only given the gift of extended life after he or she is born. At that point ageing slows.
6. No one has ever looked for where the forest ends.
7. There are clues that answer reader questions, but you will need to read the whole series to have them laid out neatly for you. Book one sets the lore - keep reading and hang on to your hats - the pace picks up in book 2 and never stops.
8. Remember secondary characters. No one is introduced in the series without a purpose.

message 11: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Surviving The Sins Answering the Call by C.A. King

Surviving the Sins Book One Talk:
Answering the call: Released February 1, 2017.
This is book one in an eight novella spin-off series.

The prophecies are being rewritten. This time someone is using the seven deadly sins: Lust; Gluttony; Greed; Sloth; Wrath; Envy; and Pride, to unlock an ancient evil. The book falls into Jade's hands to answer destiny's call. Can she survive the sins?

FUN FACTS

1. This is a spin-off series from The Portal Prophecies.
2. Jade takes over as main character.
3. My first book with a Leprechaun.
4. There are 8 books planned in the series.
5. It is a new twist to the seven deadly sins.

message 12: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Now you know a little about my books, I'd like to tell you a bit about myself.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression after the loss of my mother, father and husband within three years of each other - to cancer. The years of 24/7 in-home care, coupled with the loss I felt, left its mark on my psyche.

Depression takes up a lot of my life. Reading and writing are the only things I have found that help (in connection with regular medication), even if only for a short time. To escape to a different world can make a big difference in my mood in real life.

To put things in perspective, when I was at my lowest point, I couldn't open mail, talk on the phone, or even drive to the store. Walls of sadness surrounded me. As they closed in, tears would fall, There didn't need to be a reason or trigger.

People ask me why I started writing. My answer is simple: I wanted to create a world other people could escape to. I wanted to share the place that had helped me for many years.

I read books as well as write them. I have visited the worlds many different authors have created. Those worlds make me feel better and give me strength to face real life again. I want to thank everyone who writes - I want them to know they are making a difference.

I always said that as long as one person finds a little bit of happiness out of my books, I am, in my opinion, an accomplished author. The same is true for every writer out there. Please don't ever let anyone tell you different.

Thank you for reading and writing.

message 13: by C.A. (last edited Apr 03, 2017 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments C.A. King will be available for book signings at the following events:

June 2nd - 4th - Niagara Falls Comic Con
June 18th - Pride in the Park, Brantford, Ontario
September 30th - October 1st - Hamilton Comic Con*
September 30th - Ignite Your Soul London, Ontario
May 26th 2018 - Vancouver Author Event - BC, Canada
October 18 & 19, 2019 - For the Love of Books & Dublin
Dublin, Ireland

*CA King will only be available October 1st to sign books at this event

Smaller events will be added as dates become available. Check my website for all details.

message 14: by C.A. (last edited Apr 05, 2017 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 15: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Nomination list is up and I'm one of the choices!

Anyone nominating - you get to pick the categories.

My suggestions - Best Swag (Oh you know I want that one lol) - Best Author Romance - Best Author Fantasy - Best Author Short Story - Best Cover - Best table display - You get the idea - get creative!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

message 16: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments A few games to try

A jigsaw puzzle
http://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&...

Crossword Puzzle - from Books & Quills Magazine
http://play.shareapuzzle.com/37030/YA...

message 17: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Cover Wars
First Round April 7 @ 6pm PDT - 9pm EST the voting begins!

Tomoiya's Story: Escape to Darkness needs your votes!

Escape to Darkness (Tomoiya's Story #1) by C.A. King

http://b2bcycon.com/fantasyscience-fi...

Cover by Ravenborn

message 18: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Last weekend of reduced prices!

Tomoiya's Story eBooks are 99 cents or less right now! This special price was offered for the launch of Collecting Tears! Both books will return to regular prices April 10th 2017!

https://www.amazon.com/C.A.-King/e/B0...

message 19: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments I honestly don't know which book I want to read the most, they all look amazing!

message 20: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Maddy wrote: "I honestly don't know which book I want to read the most, they all look amazing!"

Thank you!

message 21: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments GIVEAWAY

Ask a question - leave a comment - tell me you have voted for my cover - tell me the category you nominated me in for IYSE VIP Awards

I'll be using random.org to decide who to give a paperback book to on Monday!

Let's make some noise!

message 22: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments How did you come up with your character's names?

message 23: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments I actually use placeholder names until my characters decide on one for themselves!

On a side note, I do have a long list of requests by people who would like me to use their names. In some cases I give in, but play around a bit - spelling them backwards or using a variation that sounds the same.

Thanks for asking!

message 24: by C.A. (last edited Apr 07, 2017 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Happening Now!

COVER WARS!

Tomoiya's Story could use your vote!

could I bother you to vote in coverwars? http://b2bcycon.com/fantasyscience-fi...

message 25: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments It hasn't made its way to Amazon yet, but right now you can pick up a free eCopy of my latest short When Leaves Fall

http://www.lulu.com/shop/c-a-king/whe...

When Leaves Fall
A Different Point of View Story

Ralph wakes up to what others only experience in a nightmare. Chained to a shed, he has no idea where he is, or who his captor is. His memories are blurred at best. As the days press on, he finds himself experiencing a roller coaster of feelings. Hunger, thirst and pain become his only companions. Flashbacks of a happier time are all he has to keep him going. As his situation deteriorates, he finds himself doubting he ever had the very thing he wants most - a family.

When Leaves Fall is a dramatic thriller with a twist. Keep the tissue box close for the ending.

message 27: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Good night friends! I'll be back tomorrow

message 28: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Good Morning!

Hope everyone is enjoying the CyberCon.

message 29: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments This year is great! There are so many wonderful books.

message 30: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Day 2 brings us to the topic of blogs! You can follow one of mine right here on Goodreads!

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 31: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Shout out to my book cover designers!

I would like to take a moment to thank my cover artists!

Ryan King - Books one through six of the Portal Prophecies
Ravenborn - Book Cover Designs Tomoiya's Story:Escape to darkness and all Surviving the Sins books
Pre-Made Covers by Just write. Creations Tomoiya's Story: Collecting Tears and Shattering the effects of time: Finding the Fountain of Youth
Eyes of a Crow Collector covers for The Portal Prophecies: A Keeper's Destiny

No book is complete without a fantastic editor. It took me several different ones before I found mine! Without him I wouldn't be where I am today!
Thank you Jeff!

message 32: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Book Trivia
Portal Prophecies:

A few things you may not know about the Guardian home world.

1. Age is calculated in cycles. One cycle is equal to ten thousand years.
2. People transition to adult at 16 cycles. At this point their hair becomes a permanent colour and they develop their magical gifts.
3. They have a magical ceremony which we would conside the same as marriage, called the pledge. Only two individuals who are meant to be together can be bound by the pledge. The binding cannot be tricked by illusion or magics.
4. Females ask the men to marry and usually between 16 and 18 cycles.
5. Pregnancy last the same amount of time as in our world. The baby is only given the gift of extended life after he or she is born. At that point ageing slows.
6. No one has ever looked for where the forest ends.
7. There are clues that answer reader questions, but you will need to read the whole series to have them laid out neatly for you. Book one sets the lore - keep reading and hang on to your hats - the pace picks up in book 2 and never stops.
8. Remember secondary characters. No one is introduced in the series without a purpose.

message 33: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Final day!

The above giveaway is still going on!

message 34: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments Is this your first year in this convention or have you been in it before?

message 35: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Maddy wrote: "Is this your first year in this convention or have you been in it before?"

This is my second year! I love conventions. How about you?

message 36: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments C.A. wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Is this your first year in this convention or have you been in it before?"

This is my second year! I love conventions. How about you?"

This is my second year too. I love this convention!

message 37: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Maddy wrote: "C.A. wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Is this your first year in this convention or have you been in it before?"

This is my second year too. I lov..."

Are you an author here as well?

message 38: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments C.A. wrote: "Maddy wrote: "C.A. wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Is this your first year in this convention or have you been in it before?"

This is my second y..."

No I am just a lucky reader. Hoping I get a lot of books this year haha. I got some last year and loved it.

message 39: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Maddy wrote: "C.A. wrote: "Maddy wrote: "C.A. wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Is this your first year in this convention or have you been in it before?"

This i..."

Good luck - that big giveaway looks amazing

message 40: by C.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.A. King | 99 comments Maddy and Joshua please send me via pm your book preference and an address to send a paperback to!