Coffee & Books discussion

Member Board > Podcasts

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob I am very far behind on my reading this year, mostly because I have been listening to countless podcasts. I am currently subscribed to way more than I could possibly listen to and I am finally getting caught up on all the past episodes and wanted to see if any one else is as addicted to podcasts as I am.

For those looking to get into podcasts here are a few suggestions from me and would love for others to post podcasts that they love.

Entertaining and Educational
The Memory Palace (a look at history, told by the brilliant story teller Nate DiMeo)
99% Invisible (a show about design)
Radiolab (educational, very interesting topics)
Invisibilia (looking at the hidden forces that shape our lives)
The Allusionist (a show looking at language)
Lore (a show looking at legends)

Radio Dramas/Comedy
Welcome to Nightvale
Hello From the Magic Tavern
Wolf359 (science fiction radio drama)
Wooden Overcoats (comedy)
Ars Paradoxica (Time travel radio drama)

message 2: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
*raises hand* Yes podcast junkie.

All of the ones above are greaaaaat!

A few to add:

If you like true crime:
Serial
Sword and Scale (RATED LIKE NR. This is extremely morbid and discusses true crimes that have happened in extensive details with actual recordings and can be disturbing. But it is a really AMAZING podcast)
Criminal

Radio Dramas
Tanis
The Black Tapes
The Message
Limetown

I actually did a detailed in-depth post on my blog for podcasts if anyone wants some more info on them!

http://www.rachandcharlie.com/selecte...

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Has anyone listened to Up & Vanished HOLY MOLY GUACAMOLE

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 24 comments I quite like Dear Hank & John (John Green and his brother), but I will definitely give these ones a listen!! Sounds good!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I'm a podcast junkie too :) Let me add some recs:

S-Town: A "mini series" podcast by the Serial crew; but this is a microcosm of its own. Absolutely brilliant and heart-breaking.

Nerdette: Two nerdy ladies interview all kinds of people about their passions. Recent favourites include Tom Hanks talking about his love for typewriters, and astronomer Jill Tarter, who was the director of SETI.

Oh Witch, please: One of my absolute favourites. If you've read the Harry Potter series, but don't follow these ladies, you are missing out! Just trust me and begin with episode one.

Soundtracking: I discovered this only recently. It is basically interviews with directors, actors, and composers on their films, and it is all about the music. Really enjoyable and contains a lot of the music mentioned.

You must remember this: Looks at the old Hollywood. If you can get past the kind of annoying ads, this is fascinating.

Kermode & Mayo's Film Reviews (BBC): A film buff's podcast list is not complete without those two Brits wittering along. If you didn't know "Wittertainment", give it a try and thank me later :)

Nancy: This is a WNYC produced entertaining podcast about the queer life.

The Incomparable: A nerdy podcast discussing books, series, and movies new and old.