Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
This topic is about Vixen in Velvet
Archived: Series Reads > Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers #3) by Loretta Chase [Start Date: November 28, 2016]

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Vixen in Velvet by Loretta Chase

From the Diary of Leonie Noirot: The perfect corset should invite its undoing . . .

Lethally charming Simon Fairfax, Marquess of Lisburne, has reluctantly returned to London for one reason only: a family obligation. Still, he might make time for the seduction of a certain redheaded dressmaker—but Leonie Noirot hasn't time for him. She's obsessed with transforming his cousin, the dowdy Lady Gladys, into a swan.

Leonie's skills can coax curves—and profits—from thin air, but his criminally handsome lordship is too busy trying to seduce her to appreciate her genius. He badly needs to learn a lesson, and the wager she provokes ought to teach him, once and for all.

A great plan, in theory—but Lisburne's become a serious distraction, and Leonie's usual logic is in danger of slipping away as easily as a silk chemise. Could the Season's greatest transformation be her own?

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ditto.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I find the middle cover very disturbing because of the way her eyes are staring back! It looks like she'd planing something evil!

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **hee hee** You're right!

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm in too.

@ShoSho - yes, her stare is creepy!

Lara | 2335 comments I'm in.

@ShoSho, I think she looks more mischievous--like she's planning a trick on someone, but nothing cruel.

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I'm in.

@ShoSho, I think she looks more mischievous--like she's planning a trick on someone, but nothing cruel."

I hope so!

message 10: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments I've been wanting to read this series! Looking forward to it.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Good Gravy Beans! Good thing this is after Thanksgiving.

message 12: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Well, my ebook is due back to the library tomorrow, and there's a hold on it so I won't be able to renew it. I'm starting tonight.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I should probably start, too, as mine will also be due soon.

Lauren (laurenjberman) I just finished my book so I'm going to start as well.

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm almost done with my book ,I'll start this next.

message 16: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I finished with 30 minutes to spare! I enjoyed this one. Maybe not as much as the last one, but perhaps more than the first.

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Nov 27, 2016 08:27PM) (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments He doesn't look sexy at all IMO if this is how he looks like!!

From wiki better resolution

message 18: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Thank you ShoSho! I agree that he doesn't look terribly sexy--especially because his legs are far too thin. However, Leonie's description of Aphrodite's expression is spot-on!

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Ughh yes the legs specially the knees EEwwww

message 20: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Yep. Nice torso, disgusting legs, arms not worth noticing, and a head that looks more like death than satisfied sleep.

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "more like death than satisfied sleep."

LOL maybe she'd been that good!

Lauren (laurenjberman) That painting is seriously creepy! I think Lisburne should have gone with a battle scene after all!

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm halfway through and finding it very slow going. Too much talking and description and not enough action. Lisburne and Leonie are likable enough but their chemistry is only so-so. The secondary plot (and I'm assuming romance) involving Swanton and Gladys is very underdeveloped - he hasn't even seen her and is in love with her voice? Really?

message 24: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I agree that he secondary plot, especially Swanton as a character, could have been more developed.

I didn't have a problem with him falling in love with her voice--he's surrounded by pretty women and that isn't what excites him. Plus, by listening to her, he's getting to know her rather than just being taken by her physical "charms."

What I did wonder about was why he continued to write poetry when he agreed with critics that he wasn't any good. Yes, some was related to raising funds for worthy causes. But, why is he like that? Lisburne's father seemed to have been a major influence on both of them, yet there is almost no description of why.

Lauren (laurenjberman) I've finished the book. Although Leonie and Simon's romance picked up in the 2nd half and the minor mystery plot had a satisfying conclusion, I must confess that this is the weakest book in the series for me.

message 26: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I liked the fact that the mystery didn't lead to a life threatening situation. That trope has been over done in many historical romances recently.

As for the romance, I agree that it wasn't as strong as the others. Simon's attraction was clear and multifaceted but I didn't see that Leonie had such a strong draw. When he wasn't around she thought about him, but in a simple infatuation kind of way. She didn't seem to be drawn specifically to his qualities.

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah, so far this book isn't doing it for me. But, I'll plug away at it. Hopefully, I'll finish before it is due.

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I have a confession to make! I read about 20% and then started skipping a paragraph here and there! It couldn't grab my attention. I decided to cut my losses and went to the last chapter and read that one and the epilogue and done!
I marked it as read but didn't rate it.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Not at all surprised, ShoSho! I did some skipping too :(

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **chuckles** I might do that, if I pick it up again. LOL!

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay, I finially finished...but I did a lot of skimming.

It was so-so. Definitely not as good and the previous two. Is it my imagination or was the hero a bit like the previous one, in that he wasn't as stupid as everyone thought? I really felt I was reading the same books again, in more ways than one.

In addition, too bad the sisters didn't show up much in this book.

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - added it

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Okay, I finially finished...but I did a lot of skimming.

It was so-so. Definitely not as good and the previous two. Is it my imagination or was the hero a bit like the previous one, in that he wa..."

He was a lot like the previous one! At least that's what I thought too!

message 33: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments FYI, Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4) by Loretta Chase is a Kindle Daily Deal in the US today.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vixen in Velvet (other topics)
Dukes Prefer Blondes (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Loretta Chase (other topics)