Horror Aficionados discussion

Different Seasons
This topic is about Different Seasons
Buddy Reads > Different Seasons- Stephen King challenge #13

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Latasha (latasha513) | 10686 comments Mod
The 13th book in this challenge. Please use spoiler tags.

I started this today. I am listening to the audio book. I did check it out at the library but had to take it back before I even started. what a big book!
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption- wow! so dar so good but it's rough!

Rita. wow! she was a beauty!

photo rita2_zpsztukijmn.png

photo rita hayworth_zpsesiouqh2.jpg

Terry | 4849 comments Love the posters! I started the book little early, so I've made it through Shawshank. I really liked it, and so far, that story feels the least like a Stephen King story than any I've read.

John (jrd1st) I remember this book too well, so I'm not re-reading it this time, but "Apt Pupil" is the creepiest one, I think.

Interesting!

I just finished Rita. Is the shawshank redemption based off this story? I've never seen the movie but I think my mom has it. So many emotions in this story!

Anthony Puyo | 64 comments Latasha wrote: "I just finished Rita. Is the shawshank redemption based off this story? I've never seen the movie but I think my mom has it. So many emotions in this story!"
I'm reading Apt Pupil myself. I've been on it for months, reading other stuff in between. It's like I like it, but it's just not totally grabbing me. I love his beautiful writing but there also something that is uninteresting about it. I think he doesn't move the story fast enough, too much description.

John (jrd1st) Latasha wrote: "I just finished Rita. Is the shawshank redemption based off this story? I've never seen the movie but I think my mom has it. So many emotions in this story!"
Yes.

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John (jrd1st) Anthony wrote: I'm reading Apt Pupil m..."
I think i read that one in two or three sessions and I don't remember feeling that way, but I do remember a growing sense of unease from that story (view spoiler) Maybe it needed to be long and gradual.

Apt pupil-
Unnerving YES! It's a little too realistic for me. Yes I know the nazi's did really awful, terrible stuff but please don't go in detail and tell me. I don't want to know :(

Terry | 4849 comments I'm only about half way through Apt Pupil. I have a feeling that kid is warped!

Yes indeed!

I started on The Body. Mr. Desoto's dog from Road Work makes a cameo! so far this one is ok. reminds me a lot of the loser's club in IT. isn't that what they called it?
Apt pupil was too disturbingly realistic for me.

Terry | 4849 comments That is what they called the group in It. I'm definately falling behind!

Ok I thought so but wasn't 100% sure.

I think so far the body is my favorite.

Anthony Puyo | 64 comments I couldn't finish the whole book. Only finished Shawshank and read half of Apt Pupil. I like his use of words, but he can often be too wordy and get me off the subject.

I know exactly what your talking about because ages ago when I read Christine, that was why I didn't like it. But now I don't mind so much. Christine is next, I think. So I'm eager to see how much I like (or dislike) it now, all these years later.

Anthony Puyo | 64 comments The only other King book I read was Joyland, I think it's called. It's crime. That one started off slow, but in the end I found it pretty entertaining. I love good narration, but I don't like it condensed the way some author's do it. I like it spaced out through action and dialogue, but that's just me.

Anthony Puyo | 64 comments Anthony wrote: "I couldn't finish the whole book. Only finished Shawshank and read half of Apt Pupil. I like his use of words, but he can often be too wordy and get me off the subject."
Oh, nice bio by the way, Latasha. I can't believe how many books some of you have read. It's amazing!

Anthony wrote: "Anthony wrote: "I couldn't finish the whole book. Only finished Shawshank and read half of Apt Pupil. I like his use of words, but he can often be too wordy and get me off the subject."
Oh, nice bi..."

thanks! I'm usually listening to one and reading one or 2 at a time.

I finished it. Omg the breaching method! That was so awful and horrific.

message 24: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John (jrd1st) Latasha wrote: "I finished it. Omg the breaching method! That was so awful and horrific."
SK used to really lay on the chills, didn't he?

Yeah. He doesn't anymore?

Terry | 4849 comments Hope you liked it, Latasha. I'm still working my way through Apt Pupil :( I've spread myself thin with several reads going on and this is the one I'm slacking on. I am looking forward to Christine after this one, but I may still be a few weeks to get done here.

Terry wrote: "Hope you liked it, Latasha. I'm still working my way through Apt Pupil :( I've spread myself thin with several reads going on and this is the one I'm slacking on. I am looking forward to Christine ..."

yeah I'm looking forward to Christine as well. Terry you are everywhere, reading everything with everyone! I'm waiting on you so whenever your ready.

Terry | 4849 comments I certainly feel like that. I just feel like I want to read everything, sometimes!

I know exactly what u mean.

Terry | 4849 comments I'm still reading along. Just finished Apt Pupil. It was pretty twisted I thought, but ok. Didn't like the stuff with the animals. I like his supernatural stuff better than these kinds. On to the remaining two.

Terry wrote: "I'm still reading along. Just finished Apt Pupil. It was pretty twisted I thought, but ok. Didn't like the stuff with the animals. I like his supernatural stuff better than these kinds. On to the r..."

yeah I skipped those parts.

Terry | 4849 comments I'm in the middle of The Body, and caught the references to both Cujo and Night Shift. I like the connectivity of so many of his stories.

I love when he does that too.

Terry | 4849 comments I finally finished! Despite the extra time it took, I enjoyed this (maybe Apt Pupil a little less than the others). My favorite was The Breathing Method at the last. Did you notice that the last story was dedicated to Peter Straub? I assume this has to do with the similarity to Ghost Story, at least with the premise of the old guys getting together to tell stories. Anyway, I'm ready to move on to Christine now.

message 35: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 30 comments This is my favorite book by Stephen King! I am really happy to see that so many enjoyed it too :)

No, I didn't catch that but I did think of it while reading. My favorite was the body. Ok, you want to wait a couple of days to take a breather?

Terry | 4849 comments Thanks, Latasha, but I've held everyone back long enough. I'm fine if we start right away.

Terry | 4849 comments Silvia wrote: "This is my favorite book by Stephen King! I am really happy to see that so many enjoyed it too :)"

It was definitely good, but I do think that I like his supernatural stuff better.

Ok, how's tomorrow? I work late tonight so I'll try to set up the thread & announcements by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Terry | 4849 comments Latasha wrote: "Ok, how's tomorrow? I work late tonight so I'll try to set up the thread & announcements by tomorrow evening at the latest."

Sure. Works fine for me.

Ok great :) I'm excited for this one.

message 42: by Terry (last edited Nov 21, 2016 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 4849 comments I am too. I like the movie and am looking forward to seeing how the book varies from it. It does look like its another long one.

Oh! I haven't looked yet

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

if you want to join us. we are reading Christine.