UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > KDP tax interview

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments As per advice on here, I sorted out the withholding tax exemption a couple of years ago - by ringing the US tax people and getting an EIN. Now I've been told by Amazon I need to update my info by 31 Dec by doing the online tax interview. I've had a look and it seems to be obsessed by TINs rather than EINs, and is asking for a foreign tax identity number as an alternative. Other than my National Insurance number, I don't have one. As as pensioner I don't even earn enough to pay income tax. Has anyone fathomed the way to do this so I'm not paying 30 per cent US tax on ebook earnings? I'm not at all keen on disclosing my NI number to some random online form that's winging its way into the maw of amazon.

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Yup, can't use EINs now unless you're a corporation. Instead you should use your UK tax code (it's on your HMRC account page). I've heard people say their NI number worked a treat, but I can't vouch for that from personal experience.

If you're not declaring your book income, you probably should be, even if it doesn't take you over the tax threshold.

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2997 comments I used my national insurance number.

Take a look at this for more info - https://catherineryanhoward.com/2012/...

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Thanks that's great. NI number it is.
Tim, I used to declare my negligible income when I was also working but eventually the Inland Revenue said I didn't need to any more until such time as I made a profit and it then has tax implications. I still keep my own accounts as it may be useful to bring forward a loss from previous years... Not in it for the money!!

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2887 comments I think if you have a UTR - unique tax payer reference - you would use that. It's the one I'm planning to use when I have to give those kinds of details to Amazon etc.

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments If you have a UTR that's enough for Ammy normally.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments The NI number worked fine.
No idea what a UTR is, it sounds painful!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Uterine Transgender Resection???? ;-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Jeez Flo!

You should write horror. Oh wait. You did!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) heheheheheh!

message 11: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Horrible issue, I know, but can I tempt anybody to write an article on withholding tax for the wiki, please?

http://bookhippo.uk/self-publishing/w...

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Ah, professional expertise... doesn't come cheap, you know. (Unlike me, or so I'm told.)

message 13: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments The tax article is paid work. Not all wiki contributions are paid, just the hard ones. Having said that, I'm happy for the page to grow little by little, if anybody wants to add a paragraph here and there. Between us, we're experts. That's why I set up the wiki.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Will is the only tax expert I know.

message 15: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I did not know that. Will, want a job?

message 16: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Rosen wrote: "I did not know that. Will, want a job?"

Two jobs in fact, as I need a wiki article and help getting money the US has owed me for three years.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Get on it, Will. You've got boiler repair to pay for.

message 18: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Does that mean I could gain a new strap line: "BookHippo.uk - helping fix boilers since 2016".

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Tim had a broken toilet not long ago. Maybe he still needs to pay that bill.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21833 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Tim had a broken toilet not long ago. Maybe he still needs to pay that bill."

but is he a tax accountant :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments He has other skills.

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Dunno about a broken toilet, but my heating doesn't work . . . (different problem to Will's - mine's a broken diverter valve actuator.)

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments Tim wrote: "Dunno about a broken toilet, but my heating doesn't work . . . (different problem to Will's - mine's a broken diverter valve actuator.)"

Don't pay a plumber. Change it yourself. Dead easy. Just make sure you connect the wires the same way. Take a photo of existing wiring setup before you remove, and follow instructions that come with the actuator.

In the meantime, they usually have a small, metal manual lever on them which you pull slowly to one side and hook into the metal casing to hold it against the spring.
Hooked back, it diverts the water to heating, released it goes to hot water (or vice versa).

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2887 comments Rosen wrote: "The tax article is paid work. Not all wiki contributions are paid, just the hard ones. Having said that, I'm happy for the page to grow little by little, if anybody wants to add a paragraph here an..."

Unfortunately I haven't actually published yet so my knowledge is too theoretical at present.

message 25: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments When do you want something, Rosen?

I'm having too much fun writing a space romp (NO Patti, not that type of romping) at the moment to want to stop!

message 26: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Tim, if it's only the actuator that's a 10 minute fix because you don't need to swap the actual valve (unless that's the bit that's broken) - disconnect the actuator from the valve ( 2 screws) and wire it in.

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments It is just the actuator, but the only ones I could find locally have a completely different fitting, which you don't discover until you try to fit it. (standards - who needs them eh?!)

Right now I'm benefitting from the little manual lever at the back. :)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I thought for a moment you were saying that there was a little manual lever on YOUR back!

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments There might well be, but it's out of my reach if there is . . .

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Just turn round for a mo...

Yes, I see it,

*flips switch*

message 31: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Will, when would suit you?