The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Logan (Wolverine 3)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments The trailer for Logan dropped. Looks like a variation on the Old Man Logan storyline. If that's X-23 I hope they treat her right. Her debut was one of the best stories I've read this century.

http://youtu.be/Div0iP65aZo

message 2: by Sifou (new)

Sifou | 8 comments finally were getting the wolverine we deserve

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments Wolverine's a grown man so I get how his skeleton can be bonded with Adamantium. For X-23, it's always bugged me that they do it to a growing girl. How do her bones deal with it?

message 4: by Sifou (new)

Sifou | 8 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Wolverine's a grown man so I get how his skeleton can be bonded with Adamantium. For X-23, it's always bugged me that they do it to a growing girl. How do her bones deal with it?"
with her awesome regenerative healing factor and a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief ^^

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments My friend speculated that Xavier might just be in Logan's head. That would be interesting.

message 6: by Sifou (new)

Sifou | 8 comments well i doubt it they wouldn't put a mentally unstable dude with an 8 YEAR old, for a super hero movie, plus Xavier fans would be so angry, i mean iron man 3 FAKE Mandarin angry.

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren I liked the fake Mandarin.

message 8: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Trike wrote: "My friend speculated that Xavier might just be in Logan's head. That would be interesting."

My thought exactly. All the Jean stuff in the last one was in his head so it would fit the series and it would fit the Old Man Logan story from the comics as well since all the X-men are dead in it.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments The new Logan trailer. Yep, it's X-23. Laura slicing and dicing.

https://youtu.be/RH3OxVFvTeg

I mean, a new Wolverine movie, ho-hum. But X-23? Now I'm interested.

Although the meta stuff of reading the X-men comic is a bit odd.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
Trike wrote: "The new Logan trailer. Yep, it's X-23. Laura slicing and dicing.

Although the meta stuff of reading the X-men comic is a bit odd. "

Apparently those comics were made just for the movie.

I tend to avoid trailers these days because they show too much, but I was so-so on this movie until watching this trailer. The wolverine movies have been pretty meh.

This has me excited. It gives off a bit of Leon (The professional) vibe though.

message 11: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 578 comments Rob wrote: "Trike wrote: "The new Logan trailer. Yep, it's X-23. Laura slicing and dicing.

Although the meta..."

Being like Leon is a feature, not a bug...

message 12: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 578 comments Trike wrote: "The new Logan trailer. Yep, it's X-23. Laura slicing and dicing.

Although the meta stuff of read..."

Holy Fuck! (redband trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHilK...

message 13: by Darren (new)

Darren Rob wrote: "This has me excited. It gives off a bit of Leon (The professional) vibe though."

Right?

message 14: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments I've watched it a few more times, so I'm going to make some predictions.

1) Xavier is senile and/or has Alzheimer's.
2) Xavier's powers are therefore out of control and he needs to be medicated.
3) Laura/X-23 escapes from her lab.
4) Xavier in one of his few coherent moments sends Logan to get her. Xavier convinces him by hinting she's Logan's clone.
5) The road trip stuff is them returning to their secret hideout.
6) Xavier is not with them physically, but manifesting as a ghost to Wolverine. Maybe also to X-23. I'm on the fence about this.
7) The movie starts with the funeral of the last X-Man. I'd guess it's Jean, but it could be Beast or anyone, really.
8) The movie ends with Xavier's death.
9) The guy dressed as the Invisible Man is Caliban, who is being forced to track Laura.
10) The claws we see Logan defending against belong to Daken, his son.
11) Logan and Laura defeat/kill Daken.
12) At the end they team up with Caliban to go look for more new mutants.

message 15: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments Now that it's out, reactions? I found it realistic, gory and depressing.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 578 comments loved it, best X-men movie by far, well worth seeing

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Webster | 9 comments It was emotional, gripping with some great action sequences and gore, I even got a bit teary at one point. Very well worth seeing. A great tribute to the character and cap off Jackman's last outing as wolverine

Not bad guesses trike, I'd say about half right but I won't say which.

message 18: by Mysterio2 (new)

Mysterio2 | 85 comments Really really good, emotionally affecting movie.

message 19: by Trike (last edited Mar 27, 2017 06:37PM) (new)

Trike | 8291 comments I finally got around to seeing it today. (Look, I've been busy fighting crime every night. Since I live in the woods it's mostly squirrel-on-squirrel crime, but I shan't shirk my duties.)

I quite liked it. It's a fitting end for the X-Men series and finally (!) Jackman got a good movie to showcase the character he clearly loves playing. Making it R-rated was a good choice. Wolverine is inherently a violent character.

I haven't read Old Man Logan but I've read all of the X-23 stuff, so I thought that part was handled well. I prefer the comics, but this altered version fits better with the movie universe. From a business perspective, it was also really smart to have more kids, so they can continue the franchise. Although the year (2029) means that the kids will all be playing in a future time, which I'm guessing they'll just ignore.

I liked that they used the story structure of the Western anti-hero, a la Unforgiven. Also the military version of the Super Posse from Butch & Sundance was perfectly utilized. This is probably the closest we'll ever get to a Western Superhero movie.

The adamantium bullet was a bit of Chekov's Gun, and it was clear how it would be utilized once they went to the farm. Ditto Caliban. But these are things you need in a story like this and I thought they were well-handled.

I was pretty close with my trailer predictions, which was cool.
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Wolverine's a grown man so I get how his skeleton can be bonded with Adamantium. For X-23, it's always bugged me that they do it to a growing girl. How do her bones deal with it?"

I thought I mentioned this but apparently not: in the comics they only do her claws, not her bones, for exactly that reason.

Based on the snippet we see in the film, they followed that rationale here.