What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book with woman with apple cheeks

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liekki (new)

Liekki (nekomcevil) | 3 comments Looking for a picture book from my early childhood, which is called something along line "The girl with the apple cheeks" in Danish. I remember the art style being like impressionist paintings, sort of smudged.

It's about a girl on a picnic with her mom during summer. The girl gets mad at her mother and runs away into a nearby forest where it suddenly becomes winter. A sleigh with a woman comes by. The woman has apple cheeks and I think she might even be called "apple cheeks" because of her appearance. She lets the girl in her sleigh and they travel through the woods - which apparently has eternal winter - to a lavish house of a rich family. They enter the house, but are seemingly invisible to the family there, who are sitting by the dinner table. The woman talks about each of the family members and what they are doing such as the young daughter hanging out the window in order to catch a glimpse of her sweetheart. They then leave and the girl is brought to the edge of the winter area and left so she can return to her mother. The mother embraces her in tears. They find a bright red apple which reminds the girl of the woman in the sleigh.

Help, it was one of my favourite books as a child and I can't find the title or author anywhere.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16220 comments Could it have been an adaptation of The Snow Queen?

message 3: by Liekki (new)

Liekki (nekomcevil) | 3 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Could it have been an adaptation of The Snow Queen?"

I admit it sound very much like a Hans Christian Andersen story, but I am certain it isn't, because I read that one as well and while there are similarities, there are also some big differences.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37804 comments Mod
Liekki, are you still looking for this or did you find it?