Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Scarlet Thread > Sierra and Mary Kathryn Relationship

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
Does anyone see a connection between Sierra and Mary Kathryn? Do you think as Sierra reads this journal about her ancestor, she is able to relate in some way?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

This is actually a hard question for me. I thought of it and was having trouble really answering right away what I thought. What I have come up with so far is that both Sierra and Mary Kathryn have felt unwanted. Mary Kathryn was shunned when she moved away from her father because she is not married and everyone assumed baby Joshua was hers. Everyone talks behind her back and made her feel like she doesn't belong. I think Sierra can relate to this to an extent. Yea she has friends now and they haven't shunned her, but I think she feels cast out by her own husband. She wanted to go to Las Vegas with Alex but he didn't want her there and kept trying to find excuses for her not to go without actually having to tell her "I don't want you to go".

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I have to admit that I am skimming the Mary Kathryn journal part. I cannot get past the horrible spelling (which I know is done on purpose) and yet there is perfect punctuation. I just can't get into these parts of the book.

message 4: by Darlene (new)

Darlene OK, I'll try again.

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Ruthie, thanks for the encouragement to continue reading Mary Kathryn's journal. It is already getting much more interesting and readable.

The only correlation I have seen so far is that no one wanted either of the couples to marry in the first place. The parents/loved ones thought their choices of spouses (both Alex and James) were not good enough for them. Both couples got through that and began to be accepted by those that previously found them unworthy.

I'm sure there will be many more correlations as the story progresses.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments I'm glad you started reading more of Mary Kathryn's journal, Auntie Darlene. I'm just as involved with her story now as I am with Sierra.

I was telling Britnie that I read this question back on October 20th, but I never answered because I honestly couldn't see much similarities. As I'm reading further into the story though, I am seeing that they have had stuff in common. More so when it comes to the choice of their husbands. They both went with their hearts, even though told by everyone around them not to do it. I'm not sure how far everyone is in the book so I will stop there because I don't want to give anything away, but more stuff arises that shows continual similarities.

message 7: by Britnie (last edited Nov 16, 2016 10:26PM) (new)

As the book goes on it seems they get more and more similar. Mary Kathryn was forced just like Sierra to leave her home to a place where she doesn't know anyone. James decided he wanted to pick up and move to Oregon(sound familiar?).

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments Yeah, I've totally noticed that as I have been reading more. It seems that Sierra ad Mary Kathryn have similar situations going on when it comes to traveling, going outside of their comfort zones, being angry with their husbands. Don't they both have red hair too???

message 9: by Britnie (new)

Hmmm I don't remember what color hair they have. I tried going back towards the beginning to find out, and couldn't for the life of me find a description.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.