My Sibling The Mythical Being! discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hey all, this is our character discussion for Reiko (I don't think her surname is ever said), the vampire exchange student from Japan who appeared in the 16th (Fashion Frightmare) and 17th (Spooktacular) MSTV books. Do you have any thoughts on her character? Discuss them here!

As always, as this is in our spoiler folder, spoilers for any books in the MSTV series are allowed here, so if you haven't read them all, watch out! Have fun!

message 2: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments So I have a couple of thoughts to kick us off...

Reiko coming from Japan opens up this whole thing about international vamps (aside from the ones from Transylvania we've seen earlier in the series). However in her email to Ivy at the end of Secrets and Spies (MSTV#15) she kind of implies she doesn't know many other vamps:

I like sports - which I've always played, ever since I was very small. I started with soccer and I still love it, but it's hard to play with non vamps. [...] Now I play tennis mostly - as you can imagine, I am the undefeated REIGNING CHAMPION at my school!

So do you think there's less vamps in Japan or something? Or am I reading this wrong?

Also, on the subject of this email, Reiko's email address is Reiko@banpmail.com - not many people must use banpmail for her to get a username that was only her first name, lol.

Anyways, as Reiko says in the email, she loves sports, and we see a lot of that in the following book Fashion Frightmare (MSTV#16). When I first read that I thought Reiko came across a very two-dimensional since her sole interest seems to be just sports. Did anyone else feel like that? I mean I do think it's cool that she likes sports (though I'm not a huge fan of tennis), but she's like a maniac about it!

message 3: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Franklin Grove has a big vamp community. Maybe that was even the reason Charles moved there? I wouldn't be surprised if where there isn't a community (with shops and family histories etc.) vamps are few and far between. On the other hand it might just be that Reiko is saying it's hard to play with non-vamps because the vamps she knows don't like sports? Ivy was only playing with her because she was a guest right.

I did think she didn't have as much personality as some of the other characters but I thought that was just because she wasn't in many books.

message 4: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments OK, that makes more sense about her not knowing as many vamps. Plus you're right, they might not want to play with her - I probably wouldn't seeing how competitive she is!

I'm glad you brought up Ivy actually because when I thought Reiko came into the books it really emphasised how much Ivy (apparently) hates sport. The way this is displayed as almost a fundamental fact about Ivy has always come across really weird to me - do you see her as someone who's always hated sports? Because to me that felt like it kind of sprung out of nowhere.

I guess Reiko has some other interests - she clearly loves travel and at the Halloween party in Spooktacular (MSTV#17 - I think that's when it was) she dressed up as a character from a comic, so maybe she's into those too. Plus can we talk about how cool it is that she dyes her hair a different colour like everyday?! I don't think she's a bad character but I don't know what the point was of making her out to be this sports maniac when there's clearly more to her. I don't know - maybe I'm remembering wrong or there was a storyline that came out of it or something. I'll have to re-read the books and see!

message 5: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I've never thought about that. I don't remember it ever being mentioned before that Ivy had particularly strong feelings about sport either way so it didn't feel strange to me when we were shown she really dislikes it. I also don't remember how it was covered, as in did it say why she didn't like it or if there were any sports she did like. I'm sensing yet another reason for me to re-read MSTV.

It's weird in the sense that often people don't like sports because a) they're not good at them or b) they're not competitive whereas Ivy has vamp powers and she seems like quite a competitive person (video game tournaments with Brendan etc). I guess it's just not her thing.

Now you've pointed those things out Reiko has lots more personality in my mind. It's the small things.

message 6: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Yeah that's a really good point about why people don't usually like sport. I always imagined Ivy would be great at them, because of her vamp powers like you say, so I guess that's part of the reason it felt weird to me that she hates them so much. Hmm, I don't really remember how it was covered either - if it was explained that might make it seem like less of a plot-device.

Also I've just noticed in her email Reiko says her exchange is two weeks long - is it me or did it feel like a lot longer than that?! I mean, she was in for like three books wasn't she...?

message 7: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Was she? I feel like all I ever say in this group is I don't remember but... yes I don't remember. I thought she was only in Fashion Frightmare!

message 8: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments She was in Fashion Frightmare and Spooktacular (MSTV#16 +17), and I'm not entirely sure she wasn't in the start of the eighteenth too. So I guess it's not quite three books, but it still felt like a while to me. Maybe it's because I read those books when they came out so there was quite a gap between them for me.

message 9: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Mar 16, 2017 09:09AM) (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Are you sure?..

Nevermind I just looked at the book and you were right. I really did not remember she was in more than one book! At the end of Spooktacular Ivy says "She [Reiko] just sent an email from Japan. Her flight's landed safely, and she says she's glad to be home" so I haven't checked but I assume Reiko is not in Fashion Frightmare (MSTV #18) though she could be.

It would be really interesting to work out the length of time that each book takes place over.

message 10: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Yeah, I don't remember her being in the 18th book particularly so you're right she probably wasn't.

I've been thinking for a while now actually about making a timeline of the events in the MSTV series, and I guess MBTW too since they overlap now. It would be quite a big commitment though - do you fancy doing it as a group in a discussion or something?

message 11: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments It would be a big project but definitely something awesome for the group. I'll make a new thread for it...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...