Bookworms and Writers Unite discussion

Books > What do critics know?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Soumya (new)

Soumya  (-crazyangelicvamp-) | 14 comments RosaBeatrice wrote: "The following is part of an e-mail I sent to the Journal of Lesbian Studies after I found an article about me, written by Chiara Mazzucchelli, which was full of unsubstantiated claptrap, and which ..."

Those people sound extremely weird.

message 2: by Soumya (new)

Soumya  (-crazyangelicvamp-) | 14 comments As in the critics.

message 3: by Temple (new)

Temple Williams (temple_wms) | 1 comments Critical unfairness remains an unforgiving burden. Its weight, at times, seems too much, impossibly heavy. It resembles death, a favorite pet slaughtered by road rage. Only one cure exists, a powerful, single word, far easier to say than to do: disregard.

I once had a one-star, 850-word review on a book that subsequently won many awards and was chosen by the Next Generation Indie Book Awards as one of five best first novels (under 80,000 words) in 2016.

For a while, the review devestated me. It was petty, mean-spirited, inaccurate, fake, false, and 850 WORDS LONG. It took a while to remove the sting and treat it with the "disregard" it deserved.

RosaBeatrice, you have written what sounds like the truth. Wrap it up in a ribbon of disregard and blow on it. It turns to dust.

All the best.