YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

RoseBlood
This topic is about RoseBlood
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > RoseBlood, by A.G. Howard -- Restarting May 1st 2019

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments In this modern day spin on Leroux’s gothic tale of unrequited love turned to madness, seventeen-year-old Rune Germain has a mysterious affliction linked to her operatic talent, and a horrifying mistake she’s trying to hide. Hoping creative direction will help her, Rune’s mother sends her to a French arts conservatory for her senior year, located in an opera house rumored to have ties to The Phantom of the Opera.

At RoseBlood, Rune secretly befriends the masked Thorn—an elusive violinist who not only guides her musical transformation through dreams that seem more real than reality itself, but somehow knows who she is behind her own masks. As the two discover an otherworldly connection and a soul-deep romance blossoms, Thorn’s dark agenda comes to light and he’s forced to make a deadly choice: lead Rune to her destruction, or face the wrath of the phantom who has haunted the opera house for a century, and is the only father he’s ever known.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Hey Tj, I know you said you'll start around 9th, but I think I'll start that Monday, November 7th so I could finish it in time.
I'll still discuss it with you and everything, and since you're probably faster reader them me, I assume you'll catch me up quickly.

message 3: by T.J. (last edited Oct 20, 2016 05:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Irena wrote: "Hey Tj, I know you said you'll start around 9th, but I think I'll start that Monday, November 7th so I could finish it in time."

No problem. I'll set it for the 7th (and I'll try to start on the 7th as well... ;) ). I'm not at all a fast reader -- I like to take time to discuss (and I read like 17 books at the same time, so... :D ).

This book won't be published until January 10, 2017 -- so we have time. ;). It looks soooooo intriguing! I can't wait.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments We'll probably read it sooner the it's releasing day, and plus I'd like to finish it before the end of November so I could send my ARC to my blogger friend who also wants to read it really bad, but was declined on Netgalley and did not get a physical copy.

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 1-2
Color me intrigued. I am definitely interested. I like the premise:
(view spoiler)

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 2 (7%)
Oooooooh.
(view spoiler)

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 3

I really like the writing style. It's so vivid, with colorful, descriptive imagery.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Hey TJ, sorry for being so quite, I will start it now and then come back to read your comments and write mine.

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Irena wrote: "Hey TJ, sorry for being so quite, I will start it now and then come back to read your comments and write mine."

No worries. I don't have much reading time these days, so I'm just moving along slowly.

message 10: by T.J. (last edited Nov 10, 2016 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 3 (10%)
Oh, wow! This is really, really good. Wow. I am certainly being sucked in.

(view spoiler)

message 11: by T.J. (last edited Nov 10, 2016 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 4 (14%)
I have lots of questions that are begging to be answered.
(view spoiler)

message 12: by T.J. (last edited Nov 15, 2016 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments 30%
(view spoiler)

message 13: by T.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 10 (37%)
(view spoiler)

message 14: by T.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 11 (42%)
(view spoiler)

message 15: by T.J. (last edited Nov 23, 2016 03:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 12 (47%)
(view spoiler)

message 16: by T.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 13 (50%)
I'm intrigued again.
(view spoiler)

message 17: by T.J. (last edited Dec 10, 2016 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Middle of Chapter 16 (59%)
Oh, no. A.G is telling again -- telling instead of showing.
(view spoiler)

message 18: by T.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 16 (62%)
Well, that's more like it -- I'm back in the game!
(view spoiler)

message 19: by T.J. (last edited Jan 11, 2017 03:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Finished
Well, there were lots of interesting aspects to this book -- clever concept, interesting setting, puzzles to solve...

(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11001 comments *****************Restarting May 1st 2019********************

Jamie | 11001 comments CH 3 (view spoiler)

message 22: by callie (new) - added it

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments I think I am somewhere in chapter four.... possibly still in three but no more than four. Sorry for not an exact place. I'd starting reading this last year around the same time and I had a REALLY hard time getting into it. I just wasn't feeling the story. I still haven't read anything I hadn't read last year, but I am almost there. I am liking it a lot more. I haven't been reading it as much as I would like to because, per usual, I scheduled too much stuff at one time! i absolutely LOVE the cover of this book and the fact the the font was read on the inside was GORGEOUS! (Though it was hard to read). I don't have the physical copy, I had gotten it from the library last year and it had to go back before I got very far into it so I checked out the eBook. Well, that had to go back too but a couple months ago I looked on my kindle and I still had it. I could open it, close it, go into a different eBook and it was still there. I didn't BUY it because I don't have a credit card linked to my amazon or kindle so..... I think I stole an eBook. Can you do that? I don't know, but I did!! So in case it finally returns I should probably get to reading it!

Jamie | 11001 comments Callie wrote: "I think I am somewhere in chapter four.... possibly still in three but no more than four. Sorry for not an exact place. I'd starting reading this last year around the same time and I had a REALLY h..."

Is it a sample only of the book by chance? That is weird. Welcome to the BR! I am still struggling with it but it also has me curious about things so we'll see how it goes.

Jamie | 11001 comments Ch 9 (view spoiler)

Jamie | 11001 comments Ch 17 Well I suspected but now it is confirmed... (view spoiler)

Jamie | 11001 comments Done (view spoiler)

message 27: by callie (new) - added it

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments I feel really bad it's taking me so long to read this. I can't find anything wrong with it, it's just not grasping and keeping my interest. I finally hit Chapter 6... hopefully I'm going to try to force myself to pick it up more often now because once I start reading it I found I can read it for at least 30 minutes before I lose interest. I guess my attention span is just really short for this book lol. I have my heart set on reading it though!

message 28: by callie (new) - added it

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

message 29: by callie (last edited Jun 12, 2019 02:44PM) (new) - added it

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments The middle of Chapter 11

I definitely think it's the writing style. When nothing is really happening and it's just descriptions or just Rune inside her head my mind starts to wander (view spoiler) I might try to push through it, but I also might read a summery or sparknotes or something and just DNF it because I'm getting kinda bored with it. I WANT to read it, but reading shouldn't be a chore and I am forcing myself to pick it up, not picking it up because I want too.

EDIT:
To add to what I said above, I feel like this is going to be a 1, POSSIBLY 2 star book if not a DNF, so is it REALLY worth it?

message 30: by callie (new) - added it

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

message 31: by callie (new) - added it

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments Okay, I'm gonna DNF it. I'm barely interested enough to keep reading, usually I would but I have recently just felt overwhelmed by the amount of books I have to read that I'm just not going to bother with it.