Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2016 Challenge Archive > 2016 November Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2016 01:16AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 November 2016

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

November
cream
film
helpless
regret
repair
rinse
substance
surround
three
throat

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
belligerent
obsolete
pedal
squalid

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Example post:

Word Hunt - January
1 Jan - 31 Jan 2015

Word found: 10/10
Book completed: 7

Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
bowl
Undertow √ 4 Jan
bartender, king, mourning
Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
champagne, molasses
Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
diary
Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
blood
Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
grandmother
Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
dreamed

1. BARTENDER - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p113 - (Which was Sunday and Monday - Saturday was a busy night on the bartender/club scene.
2. CHAMPAGNE - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p180-181 - The doorman greeted him inside the foyer and waved his past - no need to check the guest list for his name - and he grabbed a glass of champagne from a tray and looked around.
3. BOWL Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
p11 - "Another hippy bloke selling hand-turned bowls and crap like that."
4. KING - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p48 - Roan was the king of the jungle, and he should have no problem subduing cats; it was shat he did, sometimes without intention.
5. DREAM - Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
LOC 756: I'd never have dreamed just holding a person's hand could be such a turn on.
6. MOURN - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p262 - Because, come to think about it, you could confuse remorse for mourning, especially in a naturally depressed person.
7. GRANDMOTHER - Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
p98-99 - "... He put your grandmother on a pedestal until the day she died. ..."
8. DIARY - Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
p231 - Alexi took the diary, opened it, and held it in front of my eyes.
9. MOLASSES - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p217 - "You move like molasses, my pet."
10. BLOOD - Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
p46-47: Lee shivered, overwhelmed by the attraction simmering in his blood.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Tips for finding words - courtesy of Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔

Using Google books:
~Go here https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&...
~Type in the name of your book
~Select your book
~On the left about midway down there will be a search bar, type your word in there.

Couple of things you need to know...
~you need to check every variety of the word you want so, let's say GROUP doesn't show up you would also need to type in GROUPS/ED/ING
~Unfortunately, 99% of the books on Google does not list page numbers (at least in my experience)

Using Amazon:
~You search for your book
~Once on your book page make sure you are on a version that is paperback or hardcover (Kindle editions will not work)
~On the left there will be a picture of your book and it should have "Search Inside" above it
~Click on the book and the search bar will be inside

You will not need to search separately for plurals but you will still need to search separately for -ed and -ing

You can also search for words in all the books loaded on your Kindle.

On the home page, use the 'search' function.
~ type in the word and select 'search my items'.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments My post for when I have time to sort it out :)

message 5: by GreenEyedTigerCub (last edited Dec 01, 2016 03:06AM) (new)

GreenEyedTigerCub Verhoeven November 1-30

Cream Affliction, November 19
Loc 236, "I want movies, ice cream, and chocolate," she orders, and like any good best friend, I leave her sitting there to search for supplies.

Film Hard Ride, November 20
Loc 526, Walking through it, I feel it stick to my skin, my neck, like a thick film of hot vapour.

Helpless Hard Ride, November 20
Loc 170, That's what started the downward spiral of events that led to the police raid, the broken chairs outside in the bar and now the broken door lying helpless on the ground outside my office.

Regret Beat, November 2
Page 118, "You'll regret this." "You're going to run to Daddy?" I sneered.

Repair Legacy, November 17
Loc 102, Nothing was up for discussion from that point on, to her our relationship was damaged beyond repair.

Rinse Mangled Hearts, November 20
Loc 71, I finished rinsing my hair ad body, the suds covering me like a white, fluffy blanket.

Substance Beat, November 10
Page 280, She pushed the button on her fancy little machine and handed me a cup complete with a layer of froth-like substance on the top.

Surround Beat, November 2
Page 43, When you're surrounded by people twenty four seven, you forget what it was like to have time on your own.

Three Ravage: Lightning Bolts MC, November 1
Loc 3754, He was so used to always having two or even three plan in place at once that he didn't know if he could trust me or not.

Throat Ravage: Lightning Bolts MC, November 1
Loc 3772, We struggled, both of us grunting and groaning, as the knife got steadily closer to my throat.

Ravage Lightning Bolts MC by Zoey Parker ★★★★★, Beat (The Beat and the Pulse, #1) by Amity Cross ★★★✰✰, Legacy (Devil's Spawn MC, #7) by Natasha Thomas , Affliction (Knights Rebels MC, #2) by River Savage , Hard Ride (The Slayers MC #2) by Tara Oakes , Mangled Hearts (Scarred Hearts, #1) by Felicia Tatum

BONUS:
Ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
Belligerent
Obsolete
Pedal
Squalid

message 6: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 415 comments me me me jumping up and down waving madly

message 7: by JoAnne (last edited Nov 30, 2016 05:16PM) (new)

JoAnne | 1061 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 November 2016

10/10 + 2/5

Words:
cream
When I Fall J. Daniels 11/1/16 p 42 The whipped cream is warm when I wrap my hand around the tube.

film The Cowboy Inherits a Bride Cora Seton 11/7/16 p. 238 Disgruntled, she switched over to Netflix and set up a foreign film.

helpless Marked Kaylea Cross 11/7/16 p. 68 Feeling helpless sucked.

regret When I Fall J. Daniels 11/1/16 p 44 The regret, gentled to spare my feelings, but it was there.

repair The Cowboy Inherits a Bride Cora Seton 11/7/16 p. 43 ... cleaning cloths and tools he used to repair any firearms that needed it.

rinse New Leaf Catherine Anderson 11/2/16 p 157 I get tired of advertising my rinse-away dyes by using them myself.

substance Fair Haven JoAnn Ross 11/10/16 p 352 But if you’re sure that she couldn’t have ingested any foreign substances—”

surround All In Simona Ahrnstedt 11/3/16 p 41 She shook his hand, let his big, warm palm surround her own, and then walked outside into the broiling heat, not one iota wiser than before she’d come.

three New Leaf Catherine Anderson 11/2/16 p 207 Three-year-olds are impressionable.

throat When I Fall J. Daniels 11/1/16 p 47 Shh! If you wake up Chase, I’m going to punch you in the throat.

Bonus:
ad hoc

belligerent All In Simona Ahrnstedt 11/3/16 p 425 “What do you think?” she said, giving him a sharp look, so belligerent it was like looking into his mother’s face.

obsolete

pedal All In Simona Ahrnstedt 11/3/16 p 72 As soon as the speed limit went up, he pushed down on the gas pedal.

squalid

message 8: by Tammie (last edited Nov 20, 2016 03:56PM) (new)

Tammie | 1623 comments Monthly Word Hunt
November 2016
Read:
10/10
Bonus: 5/5

✔ 11/4 cream: Unexpected Rush, loc 2129 of 4864, 43% She grabbed her now-filled cup and went to the fridge for cream, then to the sugar bowl…

✔ 11/1 film: Kissing Under the Mistletoe, pg 44 of 349, 11% Maybe, she thought as Gerry finished shooting his final roll of film and the gorgeous stranger walked toward her,…

✔ 11/4 helpless: Unexpected Rush, loc 169 of 4864, 2% He finally cast her a helplesslook.

✔ 11/6 regret: The Way You Look Tonight, pg 91 of 267, 32% She wouldn’t everregret being with him or second-guess it.

✔ 11/2 repair: One Man's Art, pg 8 of 119, 9% …but he resigned himself that a short interruption wouldn’t damage his status quo beyond repair.

✔ 11/3 rinse: Walk Through Fire, pg 312 of 613, 51% Rinse with sleep.

✔ 11/2 substance: One Man’s Art, pg 38 of 119, 35% …his substance would.

✔ 11/6 surround: The Way You Look Tonight, pg 254 of 267, 93% One day, she wanted to make love to Rafe right here, in the dark surrounded by the scent of Douglas fir,...

✔ 11/2 three: One Man’s Art, pg 44 of 119, 40% ”I chased him and three of his friends off the cliffs a few weeks back”.

✔ 11/4 throat: Unexpected Rush, loc 1485 of 4864, 30% He cleared his throat.

Bonus

✔ 11/20 ad hoc (or ad-hoc) Because We Belong, pg 22 of 358, And you, out of all the members of his ad hoc board, have the majority powers for liquidating assets and making major acquisitions.

✔ 11/3 belligerent: Walk Through Fire, pg 556 of 613, 91% She went from pissed and belligerent to sad and defeated.

✔ 11/13 obsolete: Suite Française, pg 149 of 398, 38% "Obsolete!" he repeated in despair.

✔ 11/3 pedal: Walk Through Fire, pg 444 of 613, 73% …and moved his foot to the gas pedal , accelerating.

✔ 11/15 squalid The Right Choice, pg 61 of 343 For the next our, he amused her with tales about his less than glamorous assignments, some of the more squalid places he'd slept and the...

Unexpected Rush (Play by Play, #11) by Jaci Burton Kissing Under the Mistletoe (San Francisco Sullivans, #9; The Sullivans, #9) by Bella Andre The Way You Look Tonight (Seattle Sullivans, #2; The Sullivans, #10) by Bella Andre One Man's Art (MacGregors, #4) by Nora Roberts Walk Through Fire (Chaos, #4) by Kristen Ashley Because We Belong (Because You Are Mine, #3) by Beth Kery Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky The Right Choice by Carly Phillips

message 9: by Barbara ★ (last edited Dec 01, 2016 08:07AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3558 comments November Word Hunt

12/15 FOUND

✔cream - The Dreaming: A Novel of Australia - Barbara Wood 11/5
(lemonade and cream puffs), p251

✔film - Ultimate Weapon - Shannon McKenna 11/19
(and seduce her on film), p76

✔helpless - The Dreaming: A Novel of Australia - Barbara Wood 11/5
(she would be helpless to prevent it), p72

✔regret - The Down Home Zombie Blues - Linnea Sinclair 11/5
(she nods knowingly. Regrets.), p59

✔repair - Town in a Lobster Stew - B.B. Haywood 11/6
(ask the carpenter who made the repairs), p98

✔rinse - Rainshadow Road - Lisa Kleypas 11/20
(to soap and rinse herself), p172

✔substance - Crash - Nicole Williams 11/11
(a green gelatin substance), p53

✔surround - The Fire Kimono - Laura Joh Rowland 11/14
(surround him, the Shogun ordered), p195

✔three - The Lazarus Gate - Mark A. Latham 11/9
(three harsh trills of a police whistle), p6

✔throat - The Ghoul Next Door - Victoria Laurie 11/1
(leave out the part about the throat slashing), p197

Bonus
ad hoc -
(), p

belligerent -
(), p

obsolete -
(), p

✔pedal - Sweet Revenge - Rebecca Zanetti 11/20
(he pressed harder on the gas pedal), loc 1301

✔squalid - The Lazarus Gate - Mark A. Latham 11/9
(kept in that squalid cell), p9

The Ghoul Next Door (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #8) by Victoria Laurie The Down Home Zombie Blues by Linnea Sinclair The Dreaming A Novel of Australia by Barbara Wood The Lazarus Gate (The Apollonian Case Files #1) by Mark A. Latham Crash (Crash, #1) by Nicole Williams The Fire Kimono (Sano Ichiro, #13) by Laura Joh Rowland Ultimate Weapon (McClouds & Friends, #6) by Shannon McKenna Sweet Revenge (Sin Brothers, #2) by Rebecca Zanetti

message 10: by Xiamera (last edited Nov 29, 2016 11:36PM) (new)

Xiamera | 30 comments FINISHED
November Word Hunt

CREAM - Giving It to the Bad Boy 02/11
"It comes with whipped cream." pg 40

FILM - Take Me with You 03/11
...all the sounds around me start to blur like a movie film. pg 304

HELPLESS - Arrogant 02/11
I was helpless to stop anything from happening where it concerned Noah,... pg 79

REGRET - Giving It to the Bad Boy 02/11
Did she regret being with Reese sexually? pg 161

REPAIR - A Quick Bite 30/11
"So long as there is damage to repair..." pg 126

RINSE - Take Me with You 03/11
He pours a jug of warm water over me to rinse off the soap,... pg 67

SUBSTANCE - The Darkest Heart 14/11
...and she knew the substance was alcoholic. pg 325

SURROUND - The Darkest Heart 14/11
The Apache and stallion weresurrounded... pg 122

THREE - Giving It to the Bad Boy 02/11
The three of them were now seniors at State Montessa High,... pg 8

THROAT - Arrogant 02/11
I nodded, my throat too tight and my mouth too dry to actually say anything at the moment. pg 9

BONUS

AD HOC - Dreams of Gods & Monsters 06/11
Eliza's colleagues had put together an ad hoc media center... pg 67

BELLIGERENT - Dreams of Gods & Monsters 06/11
It was like his voice-- belligerent spiked with obnoxious--... pg 69

OBSOLETE - Dreams of Gods & Monsters 06/11
...she wanted them to become obsolete... pg 542

PEDAL - Take Me with You 03/11
I sit at the sewing machine, thread it, and press the pedal. pg 79

SQUALID - The Darkest Heart 14/11
...glanced around without expression at the squalid little room,... pg 207

message 11: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2252 comments i'm in!

message 12: by Becky (last edited Nov 30, 2016 05:04PM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1396 comments 15/15

cream: When a Scot Ties the Knot- loc 898- "It's some sort of cream or salve, I think." 11/12-11/13
film: Far from Home- loc 72- We went to film school together, though she had her daddy's money funding her. 11/10-11/12
helpless: Far from Home- loc 1411- She holds her palms out to me, helpless. 11/10-11/12
regret: Lovers Leap- loc 2502- It was probably a bit too soon to mention the moving-to-the-island plan, Rufus decided with regret. 11/9-11/10
repair: Loud and Clear- loc 434- He pulled around back, behind a donut place and a watch repair shop. 11/2-11/5
rinse: Far from Home- loc 240- I even rinse my plate before putting it in the stainless-steel-fronted dishwasher. 11/10-11/12
substance: Lovers Leap- loc 189- "That oriental stuff's all style and no fucking substance, anyhow." 11/9-11/10
surround: Lovers Leap- loc 1368- "Surrounded by water." 11/9-11/10
three: Loud and Clear- loc 171- The drive wasn't too long, and he let himself drift like the last three times he'd done this, watching the flashes of color as the car drove on through the dark. 11/4-11/5
throat: Loud and Clear- loc 416- "So," Jaxon said, clearing his throat. 11/4-11/5

Bonus

ad hoc: What Remains- loc 2284- With Sophie away, his ad hoc double shift had been badly timed. 11/19-11/20
belligerent: A Christmas Hex- loc 207- Shaggy black hair framed a belligerent brown face, and his threadbare shirt stretched tight over wide shoulders. 11/30
obsolete: Kick at the Darkness- loc 229- "Quick- leave a message before phones become completely obsolete." 11/28-11/29
pedal: Pushing the Limits- loc 4341- I swore time moved in slow motion as he placed his foot on the gas pedal and inserted the key into the ignition. 11/14-11/15
squalid: The Soldier's Scoundrel- loc 448- Jack stopped at one of the neighborhood's less squalid looking public houses. 11/20-11/21

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1396 comments Ad hoc? Oooh, Jane. That's just EVIL!

message 14: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Lol! Let's hope it isn't too hard ;)

message 15: by Calila (last edited Dec 01, 2016 03:53PM) (new)

Calila | 2744 comments 12/15

Cream Unguarded 11/08-09/16 ★★
LOC 348 - "He was grateful to have a task, getting the coffee ready and pulling out cream and sugar."

Film Out of Position 11/16-17/16 ★★★★
LOC 2459 - "Yeah, we look at film."

Helpless Flux 11/06-07/16 ★★★★
LOC 2012 - "He had that helpless, lost feeling about him."

Regret Fish and Ghosts 11/02-03/16 ★★★★★
LOC 2141 - He regretted none of it.

Repair Flux 11/06-07/16 ★★★★
LOC 2103 - "He'd saved up for it and bought it in cash two years ago, and the few necessary upgrades and repairs had just about tapped him out."

Rinse Out of Position 11/16-17/16 ★★★★
LOC 5067 - "I rinse off quickly."

Substance Fish and Ghosts 11/02-03/16 ★★★★★
LOC 2020 - "They had as much substance as the ghosts who wisped into his life every few days and stole his towels, taking them to God knew where."

Surround Fish and Ghosts 11/02-03/16 ★★★★★
LOC 2885 - "Before you die alone and surrounded by books like Uncle Morty."

Three Unguarded 11/08-09/16 ★★
LOC 589 - "Once, twice, three times."

Throat Unguarded 11/08-09/16 ★★
LOC 1414 - "He cleared his throat."

Bonus:
Ad hoc Duck Duck Ghost 11/27/16 ★★★★★
LOC 3278 - The low crackle of their ad-hoc locomotion buzzed and clicked, an undertone for the wailing of Simone's name."

Belligerent
LOC -
Obsolete
LOC -

Pedal Out of Position 11/16-17/16 ★★★★
LOC 4971- "I ease up on the pedal."

Squalid
LOC -

message 16: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Nov 22, 2016 10:29PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments RRRC Word Search November 2016
Champion Level + Bonus

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

10 - Champion Level ✔︎ DONE
03 - Bonus Level
--------------------------
13 - TOTAL BOOKS READ

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

Champion Level Words

✔︎ Cream: Jane Steele by Lindsay Faye |★★★★★| Nov 3
Phrase: ...thing of dove-grey satin striped with a cream pattern Loc: 46.8%
✔︎ Film: Jennifer: An O'Malley Love Story by Dee Henderson |★★★★| Nov 5
Phrase: Thanks for shooting over the film. Loc: 15.6%
✔︎ Helpless: A Secret Wish by Barbara Freethy |★★★★| Nov 6
Phrase: He gave a helpless shake of his head and then left the room. Loc: 44.5%
✔︎ Regret: It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas |★★★★| Nov 5
Phrase: “…before I’m moved to say something I’ll regret.” Loc: 31.3%
✔︎ Repair: Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath |★★★★★| Nov 7
Phrase: The entire farm needed repairs. Loc: 43.7%
✔︎ Rinse: Undead and Uneasy by MaryJanice Davidson |★★★★| Nov 4
Phrase: I'd probably have screwed up Babyjon beyond repair Loc: 91.2%
✔︎ Substance: The Mystery Man of Whitehorse by B. J. Daniels |★★★| Nov 5
Phrase: He reached down and felt the white, sticky substance, Loc: 87.2%
✔︎ Surround: Full Steam Ahead by Karen Witemeyer |★★★★★| Nov 1
Phrase: Surround him with your comfort and your mercy … Loc: 52.3%
✔︎ Three: Always on My Mind by Jill Shalvis |★★★★| Nov 5
Phrase: He had three or four in escrow at the moment. Loc: 32.3
✔︎ Throat: Dear Lady by Robin Lee Hatcher |★★★★★| Nov 1
Phrase: Her dry throat caused the word to sound raspy and faint. Loc: 5.5%

Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye Jennifer An O'Malley Love Story by Dee Henderson A Secret Wish (Wish, #1) by Barbara Freethy It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6) by MaryJanice Davidson Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath The Mystery Man of Whitehorse (Whitehorse Montana, #3) by B.J. Daniels Full Steam Ahead by Karen Witemeyer Always on My Mind (Lucky Harbor, #8) by Jill Shalvis Dear Lady by Robin Lee Hatcher
❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

Bonus Words

Ad hoc:
Phrase: Loc:
✔︎ Belligerent: Evermore by C. J. Archer |★★★★★| Nov 6
Phrase: "As I recall, you've been quite belligerent about it all." Loc: 75.3%
Obsolete:
Phrase: Loc:
✔︎ Pedal: Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard |★★★★| Nov.18
Phrase: Driving with one hand, the gas pedal pressed to the floorboard, Loc: 95.2%
✔︎ Squalid: Arabella by Georgette Heyer |★★★| Nov 2
Phrase: …so squalid were her surroundings. Loc: 81.5%

~ Evermore (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium trilogy #3) by C.J. Archer ~ Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard Arabella by Georgette Heyer
❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

message 17: by Cheryl (last edited Nov 23, 2016 03:24PM) (new)

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 77 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 November 2016

Words: 10/10
Bonus: 0/5
Carryover: 3/7

Words:
✔︎cream: Born Sinner 13 Nov
...fresh whipped cream and plump blueberries. pg 58

✔︎ film: A Million Worlds with You 7 Nov
And she got into film school at USC… pg 283

✔︎helpless: Born Sinner 13 Nov
I just hate feeling helpless. pg 140

✔︎regret: Siege and Storm 18 Nov
the regret plain on his face. pg 207

✔︎repair: Shadow and Bone 15 Nov
...a fragile thing I’d thought beyond repair. pg 202

✔︎ rinse: A Million Worlds with You 7 Nov
have to rinse before I can do anything else. Pg 182

✔︎substance: Siege and Storm 18 Nov
that substance has to come from somewhere. pg 168

✔︎ surround: A Million Worlds with You 7 Nov
At that moment, light surrounds us... pg 278

✔︎three: Ruin and Rising 22 Nov
I’m only three years younger than you. pg 200

✔︎throat: Siege and Storm 18 Nov
...and cleared my throat. pg 174

Bonus:
ad hoc
belligerent
obsolete
pedal
squalid

Carryover:
✔︎quirky: Born Sinner 13 Nov
...tough, beautiful, and quirky, pg 261

prose

✔︎acrobat: Shadow and Bone 15 Nov
...her body wiry like a Suli acrobat, pg 86

implant

decorous

connectivity

✔︎orphanage: Shadow and Bone 15 Nov
We talked about the orphanage, pg 201

A Million Worlds with You (Firebird, #3) by Claudia Gray Born Sinner (Se7en Sinners, #1) by S.L. Jennings Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo

message 18: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Nov 12, 2016 04:32AM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1076 comments 0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up~5, as of 11.03.2016
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!~10, as of 11.09.2016

✔︎cream ~ on thick cream, pg 169, Bitterblue, kristin cashore...finished~11.02.2016
✔︎film ~ and a creepy film, pg 85,
The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer, krista davis...finished~11.06.2016
✔︎helpless ~ he'll be cut off, helpless, pg 1,
Kitty Steals the Show, carrie vaughn...finished~11.09.2016
✔︎regret ~ to regret goading him, pg 46,
Bitterblue, kristin cashore...finished~11.02.2016
✔︎repair ~ to repair things, pg 138,
Bitterblue, kristin cashore...finished~11.02.2016
✔︎rinse ~ rinsed her glass, pg 198,
Oh Say Can You Fudge, nancy coco...finished~11.05.2016
✔︎substance ~ real topical substance, pg 8
✔︎surround ~ surrounding parking lot gave way, pg 21,
Oh Say Can You Fudge, nancy coco...finished~11.05.2016
✔︎ three ~ three big Bohemians, pg 5
O Pioneers!, willa cather...finished~11.03.2016
✔︎throat ~ tied it about his throat, pg 3
O Pioneers!, willa cather...finished~11.03.2016

Bonus
ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
✔︎belligerent~anyone who belligerent, pg 339,
obsolete
✔︎pedal ~ black pedal pushers, pg 73,
Oh Say Can You Fudge, nancy coco...fiinished~11.05.2016
squalid

message 19: by Dena (last edited Nov 12, 2016 06:30PM) (new)

Dena (detours27) | 52 comments November 8/10

CreamShadowed Instincts by Wendi Wilson 11/12/16
Location 2661: They'd been eating their bagels and cream cheese in silence before he broke it with those words.

Film Shadowed Ascension by Wendi Wilson 11/12/16
Location 1551: He grinned back, hoping he had effectively doused the guilt she'd been harboring since R.J. had forced her to film that video.

Helpless Shadowed Ascension by Wendi Wilson 11/12/16
Location 2436: She cried uncontrollably as Melanie watched, feeling helpless.

Regret Shadowed Strength by Wendi Wilson 11/12/16
Location 19: She knew she'd regret it.

Repair Ravage MC Box Set by Ryan Michele 11/11/16
Location 9576: I mean you can't repair any of it.

rinse
substance
Surround Ravage MC Box Set by Ryan Michele 11/11/16
LOcation 5896: Boot steps surround me and the cool breeze hits me again.

Three Shadowed Strength by Wendi Wilson 11/12/16
Page 7: Tara hopped up and down while clapping like a three year old.

Throat Shadowed Strength by Wendi Wilson 11/12/16
Page 20: Melanie sucked in a deep breath to scream, but it lodged in her throat.

Bonus 1/5

ad hoc
belligerent
obsolete
Pedal Shadowed Ascension by Wendi Wilson 11/12/16
Location 2358: At the sound of her voice, some of the tension eased from his body and he backed his foot slightly off the gas pedal.

squalid

Ravage MC Box Set (Ravage MC, #1-3.75) by Ryan Michele Shadowed Strength (Shadowed #1) by Wendi Wilson Shadowed Instincts (Shadowed #2) by Wendi Wilson Shadowed Ascension (Shadowed #3) by Wendi Wilson

message 20: by Creative Caprice (new)

Creative Caprice | 29 comments My Spot

message 21: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2016 01:15AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Becky wrote: "Ad hoc? Oooh, Jane. That's just EVIL!"

I found 'ad-hoc' on my Kindle in Fish Stick Fridays.

Given there was only one match in my 140 items on my Kindle, I will accept the word with or without the hyphen :D

message 22: by Maritza (last edited Nov 13, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 523 comments REPORTING FOR DUTY.

November Word Hunt 9 of 10 / 1 of 5 Bonus

cream, Just What I Needed by Lorelei James read 11/02/16**** - 'Check for empty ice CREAM cartons.' (pg 242)
film
helpless, Double Trouble by Ruby Dixon read 11/03/16*** - and that makes me feel even more treasured and HELPLESS than ever before. (loc 1010)
regret, Just What I Needed - I REGRET that so much. (Pg 249)
repair - Just What I Needed - ...and substract that from the piano REPAIR bill. (Pg 166)
rinse, Darkest Before Dawn by Maya Banks read 11/08/16**** - RINSE your mouth and spit in the bowl. (Pg 174)
substance, Wolf's Mate by Chantal Fernando read 11/11/16**** - Dragons are made of tougher SUBSTANCE than any wild men. (Pg 100)
surround, Darkest Before Dawn - ...the route Maksimov had outlined so they'd SURROUND him... (pg 249)
three, Double Trouble - never all THREE of us together. (loc 877)
throat, Double Trouble he makes a sound of pleasure low in his THROAT. (loc 347)

BONUS

adhoc
belligerent, Darkest Before Dawn - so you can drop the BELLIGERENT attitude and stop being a dick around me. (Pg 130)
obsolete
pedal
squalid

Double Trouble (Bedlam Butchers MC, #3) by Ruby Dixon Darkest Before Dawn (KGI, #10) by Maya Banks Just What I Needed (Need You, #2) by Lorelei James Wolf's Mate (Wind Dragons MC, #5) by Chantal Fernando

message 23: by NayNay (last edited Nov 05, 2016 09:47AM) (new)

NayNay Romance Readers Reading Monthly Word Hunt
Duration:
November 1/16 - November 30/16

November
cream Sapphire Skies location 458 'PEACH COMPOTE AND RASPBERRY ICECREAM'
film Sapphire Skies location 1208 'WORE HER HAIR LIKE A FILM STAR'
help Sapphire Skies location 2578 'LOOKING FOR HELP'
regret Sapphire Skieslocation 2434 'HE SENSED THAT HE WOULD REGRET IT'
repair Sapphire Skies location 4425 'I PASSED THE REPAIR WORKSHOP'
rinse Sapphire Skies location 143 'IT WAS TO THE RINSE BUCKET'
substance Witchfall location 1625 'IT POSSESSED FORM AND SUBSTANCE
surround Sapphire Skies location 2043 'HIGH IN THE AIR AND SURROUND THE BLUE SKY'
three Sapphire Skies location 222 'THE THREE DEAD LOCKS'
throat Sapphire Skies location 470 'MOVED HIS HAND TO HIS THROAT'

Bonus
ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
belligerent
obsolete
pedal Sapphire Skies location 2634 'SHE ADJUSTED THE PEDAL'
squalid

message 24: by Muna (new)

Muna Abdullah | 7 comments Cool

message 25: by Katie (last edited Nov 29, 2016 07:38PM) (new)

Katie | 2077 comments RRRC: November Word Hunt
10/10 read
3/5 read

Cream - Sail Away With Me, Loc 2924, "...take Marshall out for ice cream..."
Film - Curse on the Land, Loc 502, "...colorful offices of TV and film cop shops..."
Helpless - Never Seduce a Scot, Loc 226, "...the more helpless she felt to correct it."
Regret - Loving Deviant, Loc 102, "The father's regret sounded in his voice."
Repair - A Court of Thorns and Roses, Loc 2285, "...attempt to repair what I'd ruined."
Rinse - Eye Candy, Loc 1859, "...pants off so I could rinse them in the sink."
Substance - The Christmas Wedding Ring, Loc 537, "...you're looking for substance rather than..."
Surround - The French for Christmas, Loc 936, "...cedars and pines that surround it."
Three - Cold Sight, Loc 389, "...spiteful humor and two or three pieces of evidence..."
Throat - Rock Addiction, Loc 222, "It made her throat dry up..."

BONUS:
Ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
Belligerent - Ballroom Blitz, Loc 204, "He didn't look belligerent, just frustrated."
Obsolete - Entreat Me, Loc 514, "Besides, blood fines are obsolete."
Pedal - He Loves Lucy, Loc 833, "She continued to huff and pedal."
Squalid

GreenEyedTigerCub Verhoeven LOL found ad hoc in the Kindle Paperwhite User's Guide 2nd edition, does that count?

message 27: by Loriidae (last edited Oct 22, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Loriidae | 415 comments GreenEyedTigerCub wrote: "LOL found ad hoc in the Kindle Paperwhite User's Guide 2nd edition, does that count?"

Only if you actually read the entire thing fine print and all. roflol

message 28: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Lol! I think you'd fall asleep in that one...

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1396 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Becky wrote: "Ad hoc? Oooh, Jane. That's just EVIL!"

Given there was only one match in my 140 items on my Kindle, I will accep..."

I did a search on my Kindle, and I found an ad hoc (What Remains by Garrett Leigh) and an ad-hoc (King Maker by Maurice Broaddus) so I'm covered either way. Provided I manage to make it through one of those books. :P

message 30: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Becky wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Becky wrote: "Ad hoc? Oooh, Jane. That's just EVIL!"

Given there was only one match in my 140 items on my Ki..."

Darn! I just read What Remains this month!

message 31: by Andrea (last edited Dec 04, 2016 12:30AM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments 10/10 read
0/5 read

Cream - Un-Expected - Nov25 - 5*
Film - Winter's Wolf - Nov6 - 4*
... just meeting some friends for a film and maybe dinner." (Kindle LOC 1758)
Helpless - Don't Judge a Book... - Nov8 - 4*
He licked his lips, drawing Rhys's helpless gaze downwards... (Kindle LOC 397)
Regret - The Emo and the Jock - Nov24 - 3*
Don't make me do something I might regret. (Kindle LOC 412)
Repair - Townie and the Twink - Nov18 - 2*
... he hadn't had money to get it repaired. (Kindle LOC 337)
Rinse - Solitude - Nov27 - 5*
... nearly ten minutes just to shampoo and rinse my hair (Kindle LOC 125)
Substance - Retribution - Nov12 - 2*
He spit out the earthy substance and tried to open his eyes. (Kindle LOC 762)
Surround - The Cost of Loving - Nov30 - 4*
It's hard to be surrounded by Jamie all the time. (Kindle LOC 1744)
Three - Don't Twunk With My Heart - Nov18 - 5*
Each person had to tell three others to steer clear of Matt. (Kindle LOC 366)
Throat - Chateau d'Eternite - Nov23 - 4*
Domitius said around the constriction of Quentus's hand on his throat. (Kindle LOC 762)

BONUS:
Ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
Belligerent
Obsolete
Pedal
Squalid

message 32: by ❀~Amy~❀ (last edited Dec 01, 2016 05:42AM) (new)

❀~Amy~❀ (ajpayne75) | 546 comments November Word Hunt

15/15 found

cream - Fish Stick Fridays ~ 11/8/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...tasted of sweet and cream, a blend of innocence... ~ Loc. 1070
film - A Kind of Romance ~ 11/4/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...my niece's favorite parts of the film
helpless - A Kind of Romance ~ 11/4/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ There wasn't anything helpless about him... ~ Loc. 1201
regret - Dance in the Dark ~ 11/6/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...I promise that you will regret it. ~ Loc. 679
repair - Truth or Beard ~ 11/5/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...could afford the towing and repair cost... ~ Loc. 1328
rinse - Dance With Me ~ 11/7/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...pot to give it a rinse and a refill. ~ Loc. 2199
substance - Dance in the Dark ~ 11/6/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...that did not get suspicious substances all over his person. ~ Loc. 915
surround - A Kind of Romance ~ 11/4/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...into his space and surround him completely. ~ Loc. 1685
three - Fish Stick Fridays ~ 11/8/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...nearly three days instead of the straight... ~ Loc. 54
throat - Truth or Beard ~ 11/5/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ My throat worked without success... ~ Loc. 245

Bonus
ad hoc (or ad-hoc) - Blame It on the Mistletoe ~ 11/24/16 ~ ★★★★★ ~ ...my snowman into balls in the way of ad hoc snow artists everywhere... ~ Loc. 457
belligerent - The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal ~ 11/13/16 ~ ★★★★★ ~ ...unconsciously assuming a belligerent aspect. ~ Page 157
obsolete - Holiday Sparks ~ 11/16/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...rounded the corner from obsolete to decrepit and was... ~ Loc. 126
pedal - Truth or Beard ~ 11/5/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...after first pressing on the gas pedal: I was falling... ~ Loc. 1985
squalid - How I Met Your Father ~ 11/17/16 ~ ★★★★ ~ ...and keeps her in some squalid grad housing on campus and read books... ~ Loc. 1294

message 33: by Paula (last edited Nov 30, 2016 06:25AM) (new)

Paula Patterson | 15 comments November

cream-Next Summer by Hailey Abbott 11/19
When Kelsi gave s sad sigh, Beth knew the divine taste of ice CREAM could only work so much magic. pg. 116

film-Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 11/03
None of you will go to America, none of you will be FILM stars.
pg 81

helpless-Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark 11/27
Can't you understand that he must be feeling frightened and HELPLESS and that this call is a cry for understanding? pg 5

regret-Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 11/03
He seemed to REGRET immediately this last remark and looked at me sheepishly, as though expecting me to say something comforting back to him. pg. 11

repair-Love Overboard by Janet Evanovich 11/6
She was looking ahead to a whole week of cooking for Ivan the Terrible in exchange for free plumbing REPAIRs to her bathroom. pg. 2

rinse-Assassin by Patricia Finney 11/09
Fran had poured some fresh rose-water so I could wash my face and I used my new toothcloth for my teeth and fennel-water to RINSE out the almond-and salt paste. pg. 57

substance-Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 11/03
But every now and then, a sighting seemed to have SUBSTANCE to it--like the one Ruth told us about that night. pg. 140

surround-Galahad in Jeans by Jennifer Blake 11/30
A wall of muscle pressed against her breasts while arms like iron bands SURROUNDED her. loc. 150

three-Next Summer by Hailey Abbott 11/19
The girls all steeped into the THREE curtained stalls. pg. 173

throat-Next Summer by Hailey Abbott 11/19
She cleared her THROAT and sat up. pg. 77

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

ad hoc (or ad-hoc)

belligerent-Galahad in Jeans by Jennifer Blake 11/30
He spread his feet, his upper lip lifting in a BELLIGERENT smirk. loc. 2253

obsolete

pedal-Galahad in Jeans by Jennifer Blake 11/30
To hit the brake PEDAL was purest reflex action, even before she saw the wide, rippling flow crossing the highway. loc. 1426

squalid

message 34: by Beth (last edited Dec 04, 2016 09:15AM) (new)

Beth OK, I'm getting better at this. Let's see how I do!

Nov 1: 0/10, 0/5
Nov 30: 8/10
These were hard for me this month!

I just noticed I'm supposed to include the sentence -- I guess I'll start doing that in December :-)

cream: The Ruins of Karzelek, Ruby Lionsdrake, Loc. 15636
film: A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea, Dina Nayeri p. 34
helpless: Cross Your Heart, Michele Bardsley 11/26/16 p. 80
regret: Superfluous Women, Carola Dunn 11/6/16, p. 293
repair: Trial and Temptation, Ruby Lionsdrake 11/9/16 Loc. 6895
rinse
substance: Cross Your Heart, Michele Bardsley 11/26/16 p. 4
surround
three: The Assassin's Salvation, Ruby Lionsdrake (Lindsay Buroker) 11/13/16 Loc. 12297
throat: A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea, Dina Nayeri p.37

ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
belligerent
obsolete
pedal
squalid

message 35: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 415 comments Beth wrote: "OK, I'm getting better at this. Let's see how I do!....."

You are doing great. It took me five months to find lollipop, (although I only read books that are already on my reading plan.) :)

message 36: by Emily (last edited Dec 01, 2016 05:25PM) (new)

Emily | 693 comments November 1-30

Cream (loc 345) though it’s a simple fitted cream dress hitting me at the knees. Vines by Brynne Asher 11.2
Film (Loc515) I have it on film, sweetheart. Jake by Juliette Jones 11.2
Helpless (pg42) she blushed, but was as helpless to stop that reaction as..Keeping Her by Kelly Lucille 11.2
Regret (Loc1608) I saw the words, I regret them. Sweet Trouble by Sasha Gold 11.3
Repair (Loc1397) The repair guy said I needed to get a new one, Killian by Sabrina Paige 11.3
Rinse
Substance
Surround (pg 187) Luke were the first to surround the woman. Last Day of My Life by Lani Lynn Vale 11.5
Three (Loc131) there was one female and three females upstairs. Into the Darkness by Katie Reus 11.7
Throat (Loc1491) I cleared my throat and pulled myself together. Beneathe These Shadows by Meghan March 11.7

BONUS:
Ad hoc (or ad-hoc)
Belligerent
Obsolete
Pedal (Loc1573) I release the break pedal and stomp on the gas. Beautiful Ink by SL Romnes 11.23
Squalid 

message 37: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1385 comments This is my favorite monthly challenge, so I'm definitely participating...Although the bonus section is looking mean this month.

message 38: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Have fun everyone! I know our bonus words are tough this month ;)

message 39: by Carly (last edited Dec 10, 2016 05:23PM) (new)

Carly (car88) | 65 comments »NOVEMBER 2016 - WORD HUNT«
·Post 40
10/10

·CREAM - Norse Code location 729, 21% (11/5/16)
"That was mean, by the way, betraying me and cutting my head near off. But nicely done. Looks like I managed to teach you something after all." He took a sip from his mug. Whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles clung to his moustache.
·FILM - Right location 2072, 68% (11/16/16)
"To clarify, you mean filming yourself having sex with Sawyer?" "Uh, yeah. What else would I mean by a sex tape?" I dump a handful of chocolate chips into the blender and start peeling a banana.
·HELPLESS - Second Grave on the Left location 4170, 76% (11/25/16)
He laughed then cringed in helpless agony. He'd been in surgery for-like-ever, then in recovery, but they put him in a room because, despite the amount of blood loss, his wounds were no longer life threatening. "You here to get into my pants?" he asked.
·REGRET - The Unleashing location 2689, 52% (11/29/16)
He forced himself to pull away, both of them panting. Vig looked deep into her brown eyes. He wanted to make sure they understood each other completely, because he didn't want regrets later.
·REPAIR - The Unleashing location 5008, 97% (11/29/16)
The last time this happened, she'd let it sneak out that Yardley's nasal passages had collapsed and had to be repaired due to her "tragic" cocaine use. But the truth was that Yardley's nose had collapsed because it had been completely demolished by the ax head of a blood-soaked demon.
·RINSE - Right location 1724, 57% (11/16/16)
Sawyer rinses the razor under the tap and then brings it back to his face and I am downright mesmerized. I clear my throat and shift on the marble countertop.
·SUBSTANCE - Bedeviled & Beguiled location 982, 24% (11/20/16)
The demon was covered in black, grainy looking leather skin that seemed to ooze some kind of oily sunstance which made him look all shiny and wet. His flat, wide head was about eighty percent forehead. The rest of his facial geography was squashed into the remaining twenty percent.
·SURROUND - Not So Little Green Man location 651, 31% (11/6/16)
A tinkling laugh silenced him, and he returned his attention to Jassa. To Jassa, now seated inside the enclosure and surrounded by the yapping beasts. "Oh, Vroe, look at them!" They clamored all over her, tails flicking and tongues licking every inch of her skin the things reached.
·THREE - Poking the Vamp location 1522, 73% (11/1/16)
"Pretend we're flying a fighter jet, right? Well, this little bit of mojo is the eject button." Her gaze slipped over each of them. "Four corners on the count of three."
·THROAT - The Reaper's Mate location 351, 38% (11/7/16)
"How long have you been stalking me?" She struggles against my hold, and damn if her fight doesn't turn me on more. The spanking I'd pondered earlier resurfaces. "Stalking you?" I slide one hand to her delicate throat. "Just tonight."

BONUS
1/5

·AD HOC (or AD-HOC) -
·BELLIGERENT -
·OBSOLETE -
·PEDAL - Cash Remington and the Missing Heiress location 712, 78% (11/21/16)
I yank on the parking brake. It engages as I stomp on the brake pedal. The car comes to a screeching halt only inches from the steep drop-off.
·SQUALID -

CARRYOVERS
2/5
October
·EARSPLITTING - Born Sinner location 757, 18% (11/13/16)
I thrash to consciousness surrounded by heat. An earsplitting, animal-like screech pierces the night, ripping it wide open into a black expanse full of silver stars. No, not stars. Eyes. And there is no animal being slaughtered. The screaming is coming from me.
·QUIRKY -
·STEADFAST -
August
·ACROBAT - Born Sinner location 321, 8% (11/13/16)
Lily isn't the sweet, dainty princess I thought she was. This girl is something out of a Marvel movie, complete with blade wielding and acrobatics. I've never seen her move like that. I've never seen anyone move like that.
·FUTURISTIC -

»READ«
Poking the Vamp (Knight Protectors, #3) by Celia Kyle Norse Code by Greg Van Eekhout Not So Little Green Man (Celestial Mates) by Celia Kyle The Reaper's Mate by Celia Aaron Born Sinner (Se7en Sinners, #1) by S.L. Jennings Right (Wrong, #2) by Jana Aston Bedeviled & Beguiled (Bedeviled & Beyond, #1) by Sam Cheever Cash Remington and the Missing Heiress (Sexy Dreadfuls, #1) by Celia Aaron Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1) by Shelly Laurenston

message 40: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1396 comments Calila wrote: "Darn! I just read What Remains this month!"

It never fails!

message 41: by LaurLa (last edited Nov 06, 2016 03:53AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3334 comments Ad hoc is just not going to happen :-( Too many other challenges that need finishing by the end of the year to add another book that I normally wouldn't read. Maybe someday, though...

November Word Hunt

10 of 10 Words found
4 of 5 Bonus Words found
0 of 7 Books Read

November Words
Breaking Away (SEAL TEAM Heartbreakers #3) by Teresa J. Reasor Softly at Sunrise (KGI, #5.5) by Maya Banks Reunion in Death (In Death, #14) by J.D. Robb The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2) by Tess Gerritsen Deadly Fallout (Red Stone Security, #10) by Katie Reus

✧cream: Breaking Away - Teresa J. Reasor
calibre loc: 186.7 ~ In the open entrance foyer, modern cream-colored couches…

✧film: Breaking Away - Teresa J. Reasor
calibre loc: 165.2 ~ Flash fast-forwarded the film

✧helpless: Softly at Sunrise - Maya Banks
calibre loc: 99.6 ~ She glanced helplessly up at him,

✧regret: Softly at Sunrise - Maya Banks
calibre loc: 48.0 ~ She showed no outward signs of regret

✧repair: Reunion in Death - J.D. Robb
calibre loc: 267.0 ~ ...real quick on repair and replacement...

✧rinse: The Apprentice - Tess Gerritsen
calibre loc: 67.1 ~ ...and most of the blood rinsed from his skin.

✧substance: Reunion in Death - J.D. Robb
calibre loc: 256.5 ~ ...for that kind of controlled substance,

✧surround: Softly at Sunrise - Maya Banks
calibre loc: 14.7 ~ She’d surrounded herself with family…

✧three: Deadly Fallout - Katie Reus
calibre loc: 68.5 ~ She had a three-bedroom,…

✧throat: Deadly Fallout - Katie Reus
calibre loc: 18.3 ~ Throat tight, Zoe nodded and found her voice.

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Bonus Words
The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2) by Tess Gerritsen Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood, #1) by Madeline Sheehan Breaking Away (SEAL TEAM Heartbreakers #3) by Teresa J. Reasor Extreme Danger (McClouds & Friends #5) by Shannon McKenna

✧ad hoc (or ad-hoc):

✧belligerent: The Apprentice - Tess Gerritsen
calibre loc: 240.9 ~ He was already angry and belligerent,

✧obsolete: Thicker Than Blood - Madeline Sheehan
calibre loc: 751.7 ~ ...that’s all so obsolete now.

✧pedal: Breaking Away - Teresa J. Reasor
calibre loc: 39.0 ~ ...stomped the gas pedal.

✧squalid: Extreme Danger - Shannon McKenna
calibre loc: 588.0 ~ ...peeling wood paneling, water-stained ceiling. Squalid.

message 42: by Eunice (last edited Dec 03, 2016 05:31AM) (new)

Eunice November Word Hunt
10 of 10 words found
1 of 5 bonus words found

cream - The Starriest Summer by Adelle Young
Chapter 4: ...the cream softens and melts into a thick drink.

film - Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
Chapter 18: …I grab the camera away from Mom to film her.

helpless - A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole
Chapter 7: ”I was saving you from being helpless…”

regret - Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
Chapter 18: I feel a hint of regret.

repair - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Chapter 12: ”I doubt he’ll be able to repair it.”

rinse - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Chapter 10: …to wash her face and to rinse her mouth.

substance - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Chapter 21: …shaped from the same demon-repelling substance…

surround - The Starriest Summer by Adelle Young
Chapter 7: ...then I surround it with a giant, sterile syringe.

three - Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
Chapter 2: I’ve got three sentences.

throat - The Starriest Summer by Adelle Young
Chapter 8: I clear my throat and...

Bonus
ad hoc (or ad-hoc)

belligerent

obsolete

pedal - Everland by Wendy Spinale
Chapter 14: ”…that spins when you pedal the footplates…”

squalid

message 43: by Mojca (last edited Nov 06, 2016 11:59PM) (new)

Mojca | 1385 comments Finished the main part...And who'd have thought ad hoc would be the easy find in the bonus category. ;) (Pure luck, though.)

Words found: 10/10
Bonus words found: 2/5
Books completed: 4

1. CREAM — Force of Attraction by D.D. Ayres ✔ 5 Nov
LOC 3175: She had an ice-cream cone in one hand and a leash in the other.

2. FILM — Necessary Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 2 Nov
LOC 562: He'd do the big boom and she'd capture it on film.

3. HELPLESS — Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 3 Nov
LOC 151: Shay shivered, recalling her feelings of helplessness and outrage.

4. REGRET — Force of Attraction by D.D. Ayres ✔ 5 Nov
LOC 87: The longing had flooded back, nearly bending him double with regret and desire.

5. REPAIR — Force of Attraction by D.D. Ayres ✔ 5 Nov
LOC 463: His impact on her was still visceral, physcally and mentally, overwhelming in minutes two solid years of careful repair of her emotions

6. RINSE — Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 3 Nov
LOC 3214: Angie was holding Shay's shirt under the hand dryer in the restroom while Shay tried to rinse the beer out of her hair at the sink.

7. SUBSTANCE — The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies by Stephen Pincock, Mark Frary ✔ 6 Nov
p. 182: Each of the little boxes in the periodic table represents a chemical element, a substance that cannot be further subdivided into more basic constituents by chemical means (such as by pouring acid onto it or reacting it with another chemical).

8. SURROUND — The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies by Stephen Pincock, Mark Frary ✔ 6 Nov
p. 72: In fact, some clusters of galaxies are surrounded by weird bright curves.

9. THREE — Necessary Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 2 Nov
LOC: 25: Sexual energy zapped Georgia in her most vulnerable places with a reminder of how well his parts and hers had fit together not once but three times during the night.

10. THROAT — Necessary Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 2 Nov
LOC 179: Yardley laughed, throaty and sexy and carrying in a way that drew the attention of anyone who heard it.

Bonus
1. AD HOC or AD-HOC — The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies by Stephen Pincock, Mark Frary ✔ 6 Nov
p. 59: This idea may have been convenient, but it was a fairly ad hoc way out of the problems raised by Michelson and Morley.

2. BELLIGERENT —
p./LOC:

3. OBSOLETE —
p./LOC:

4. PEDAL — Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 3 Nov
LOC 75: Even as the driver threw the truck into reverse and floored the pedal, she stood up.

5. SQUALID —
p./LOC:

Necessary Force (K-9 Rescue, #0.5) by D.D. Ayres Irresistible Force (K-9 Rescue, #1) by D.D. Ayres Force of Attraction (K-9 Rescue, #2) by D.D. Ayres The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies (For Dummies) by Stephen Pincock

message 44: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Great going Mojca! Good luck with the rest.

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments LaurLa wrote: "Ad hoc is just not going to happen :-( Too many other challenges that need finishing by the end of the year to add another book that I normally wouldn't read. Maybe someday, though...

November ..."

It'll pop up somewhere :D

message 46: by Mojca (last edited Nov 08, 2016 10:18PM) (new)

Mojca | 1385 comments Found the last three bonus words as well. I guess I was really lucky, since the bonus section looked so daunting at the beginning.

Bonus words found: 5/5
Books completed: 6

1. CREAM — Force of Attraction by D.D. Ayres ✔ 5 Nov
LOC 3175: She had an ice-cream cone in one hand and a leash in the other.

2. FILM — Necessary Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 2 Nov
LOC 562: He'd do the big boom and she'd capture it on film.

3. HELPLESS — Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 3 Nov
LOC 151: Shay shivered, recalling her feelings of helplessness and outrage.

4. REGRET — Force of Attraction by D.D. Ayres ✔ 5 Nov
LOC 87: The longing had flooded back, nearly bending him double with regret and desire.

5. REPAIR — Force of Attraction by D.D. Ayres ✔ 5 Nov
LOC 463: His impact on her was still visceral, physcally and mentally, overwhelming in minutes two solid years of careful repair of her emotions

6. RINSE — Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 3 Nov
LOC 3214: Angie was holding Shay's shirt under the hand dryer in the restroom while Shay tried to rinse the beer out of her hair at the sink.

7. SUBSTANCE — The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies by Stephen Pincock, Mark Frary ✔ 6 Nov
p. 182: Each of the little boxes in the periodic table represents a chemical element, a substance that cannot be further subdivided into more basic constituents by chemical means (such as by pouring acid onto it or reacting it with another chemical).

8. SURROUND — The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies by Stephen Pincock, Mark Frary ✔ 6 Nov
p. 72: In fact, some clusters of galaxies are surrounded by weird bright curves.

9. THREE — Necessary Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 2 Nov
LOC: 25: Sexual energy zapped Georgia in her most vulnerable places with a reminder of how well his parts and hers had fit together not once but three times during the night.

10. THROAT — Necessary Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 2 Nov
LOC 179: Yardley laughed, throaty and sexy and carrying in a way that drew the attention of anyone who heard it.

Bonus
1. AD HOC or AD-HOC — The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies by Stephen Pincock, Mark Frary ✔ 6 Nov
p. 59: This idea may have been convenient, but it was a fairly ad hoc way out of the problems raised by Michelson and Morley.

2. BELLIGERENT — Unmasking of a Lady by Sophie Dash ✔ 7 Nov
LOC 1703: At Harriet's belligerent tone, the Andersons rose to their feet, not wishing to intrude on a family matter.

3. OBSOLETE — The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft ✔ 8 Nov
p. 2: These tales, of course, are obsolete and ridiculous; because they come down from very old times.

4. PEDAL — Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres ✔ 3 Nov
LOC 75: Even as the driver threw the truck into reverse and floored the pedal, she stood up.

5. SQUALID — The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft ✔ 8 Nov
p. 4: His contrast with his squalid mother and grandfather in this respect was thought very notable until the horror of 1928 suggested the most valid of reasons.

Necessary Force (K-9 Rescue, #0.5) by D.D. Ayres Irresistible Force (K-9 Rescue, #1) by D.D. Ayres Force of Attraction (K-9 Rescue, #2) by D.D. Ayres The Origin Of The Universe For Dummies (For Dummies) by Stephen Pincock Unmasking of a Lady by Sophie Dash The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft

message 47: by ❀~Amy~❀ (last edited Nov 08, 2016 03:07PM) (new)

❀~Amy~❀ (ajpayne75) | 546 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Becky wrote: "Ad hoc? Oooh, Jane. That's just EVIL!"

Given there was only one match in my 140 items on my Kindle, I will accep..."

Guess what Jane? I just finished Fish Stick Fridays and ad hoc is actually in the ad for Duck Duck Ghost in the back of the book. Does it still count?

message 48: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments ❀~Amy~❀ wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Becky wrote: "Ad hoc? Oooh, Jane. That's just EVIL!"

Given there was only one match in my 140 items on my Ki..."

Oh no!!! Well, since I said it was there, I'll let that book count. But for all other books where it appears in the preview for another book, it won't.

message 49: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Mojca wrote: "Found the last three bonus words as well. I guess I was really lucky, since the bonus section looked so daunting at the beginning.

Bonus words found: 5/5
Books completed: 6

1. ..."

Congrats Mojca!

message 50: by Xiamera (new)

Xiamera | 30 comments Just when I thought ad hoc was gonna be a problem, I found it and decided to do the bonus round. But squalid seems to be the last hold out. Good thing it's still early days.

« previous 1