Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Space Opera Fans SCIENTIFIC SURVEY

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Oct 19, 2016 09:00PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Hi guys!

Just an FYI - our group was selected for a study about Goodreads and Libraries being conducted by a graduate student out of the University of . I took the time to check this out with Goodreads administration and other moderators who got the invite (it is very selective) before I agreed to let them contact people.

Anyways, this is PURELY voluntary. It sounds like it would do our genre so good to have our opinions heard, so I said okay. If anybody doesn't feel comfortable answering questions at any time, then you don't have to participate. If anybody feels it crosses any kind of line into spamminess or inappropriateness, let me know and I'll cut it off.

Anyways, here is the email I got so y'all can decide.

And here is the LINK to the SURVEY: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

Hello!

I am a graduate student at Clarion University in their Master of Science in Library Science program. I am surveying users of Goodreads about their use of libraries and the kind of involvement they would like their local library to have with Goodreads. I love Goodreads, and there is a big need for more research about the website. I randomly chose a group that you moderate (Space Opera Fans) to be one of the ones surveyed.

Because there are special regulations for including minors in research, I am not permitted to have any minors take my survey. If you are under 18, please disregard this e-mail. I am very sorry. If I could include everyone, I would.

You can find my survey here:
Goodreads Users & Their Local Libraries

To comply with the requirements of my university, I have a short form to track what groups have given me permission and how they would like the survey to be shared:
Permission to Post Survey

Please do not have anyone complete my survey until after that form has been filled out. I will have to discard any data that was collected during that time.

I would be very grateful if my survey could be shared with your members. I am happy to share the link wherever or however you prefer. If you would prefer to post a link to the survey yourself, all you would need to do is share that first link and remind your members that they have to be over 18 to take the survey.

I usually only contact the first active moderator listed in a group to limit the number of people that I pester. If you would like me to contact the other moderators, I would be happy to.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. I am very excited about my project, and I love any opportunity to talk about it more! If you would like to see any of the paperwork that I submitted to my university for approval, I would be happy to show it to you.

Thank you,
Vanessa Tomeo

message 2: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) A nice little survey about library usage and availability on Goodreads.

message 3: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 29 comments I wish my library had a Goodreads presence (afaik, they don't). It'd be great if there was some way to request books or have the library have access to patrons "To-Read" lists if you opt in to look for books to purchase for the library.

Of course, there'd have to be some sort of privacy for posts in say a library board if you didn't want people to know what city you're from on a public account. Does Goodreads have some way to hide certain activity without just blanking out your entire profile?

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) The big problem is that Goodreads is really just a data-mining service for Amazon. When we come on here of our own free will, we ignore that fact because they give us the chance to meet new book-friends. But I wouldn't want my local taxpayer-funded library using my taxpayer money to help Amazon gather data about the citizens in my town so they can better sell books to them and put the local little bookstore out of business, so that then the taxes in the rest of our town go UP because Amazon is selling books, and dog food, and razors, and electronics, and just about everything else little local stores used to sell.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Did they seed all the groups on Goodreads? It seems like every group I'm in has posted this.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Only certain ones. I think they were looking for a good cross-representation of genres.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) UPDATE: I communicated with the person conducting the study and once it's finished, she'll set up the results on a website or blog someplace and then ping me with the link so I can post it for y'all to read? There are a few dozen communities participating.

message 8: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments That should be really interesting to see :)

message 9: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 293 comments Anna wrote: "The big problem is that Goodreads is really just a data-mining service for Amazon. When we come on here of our own free will, we ignore that fact because they give us the chance to meet new book-fr..."

Or to have my local library end up not buying books from publishers that do not market through Amazon. A town of 45,000 and we don't have any local book stores, small or chain.

message 10: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 29 comments Lizzie wrote: "Anna wrote: "..."

One of the places I vacation has a local bookstore with their own database for ordering. I would assume the library gets books from them. It's one of the few libraries in the area with a few Japanese light-novels (though my home library did get Sword Art Online recently).

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Most libraries buy books directly from Library Direct or Ingram. They get a discount.