Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Choi Hong Hi
This topic is about Choi Hong Hi
Policies & Practices > Country of birth

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simone (new)

Simone (simonegrace) | 137 comments Hi there :)

I have been adding information for General Choi Hong Hi but got stuck on his country of birth.
He was born in Japanese Korea (Korea under Japanese rule 1910–1945) which is now North Korea.
Neither Japanese Korea or North Korea are availble as options.

Any suggestions?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
That's because the official name of North Korea is actually the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. It's listed under Korea, Democratic People's Republic of.

message 3: by Simone (new)

Simone (simonegrace) | 137 comments Thank you, Rivka. :)
That's good to know.

message 4: by Simone (last edited Nov 30, 2016 02:53PM) (new)

Simone (simonegrace) | 137 comments Another tricky one.

Sabina Wurmbrand was born in Czernowitz, a city in the Bucovine region of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which became part of Romania after WWI, and since WWII has been part of Ukraine.

I've used Ukraine as country of birth. Is this the correct thing to do?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Since we are limited to current countries, it seems like the best option -- preferably with an explanation or more details in the bio section.

message 6: by Tytti (last edited Nov 28, 2016 03:08PM) (new)

Tytti | 163 comments I don't know about that particular case but I can imagine that doing it like that could cause problems and false information in other parts of the world. It sounds to me that she was Romanian.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Tytti wrote: "I don't know about that particular case but I can imagine that doing it like that could cause problems and false information in other parts of the world. It sounds to me that she was Romanian."

Agreed. I would prefer leaving the country of birth blank in cases like these, and explain in the biography section where the author was born.

message 8: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Alternatively, you can fill in the Placename area and leave the country dropdown alone. This is common, it seems, for countries with shifting borders and identities, e.g. Soviet Union, Russian Empire, etc. where the person may associate with a national identity that is no longer holding their birth region / town AND the entity no longer exists.

It's also useful for mentioning smaller bodies of larger national entities, especially where they have strong identities. E.g. Scotland.