What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Humorous, title something like "don't let your rich relatives travel to Russia"

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by bec (new)

bec | 7 comments Humorous book with a main character who travels in Russia, drives on the wrong side of the road, and hits a chicken with her car. At one point she ends up in jail and can't sleep because they keep bringing people into the one big room. She gets a ticket from a police officer and gets frustrated because she doesn't know why and they can't communicate. Her neighbor is involved, something about not wanting to go with her on the trip at first and then coming anyway. They visit the neighbor's relatives in Russia.
These are all second-hand details, but I haven't been able to find anything on my own. My grandma is sick and rambling about this book she wants to read again, so I'm trying to find it for her. The title sounds about right for a book I remember her reading 10-15 years ago, but I'm coming up blank when I use it to search anywhere.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Bec, is this nonfiction?

message 3: by bec (new)

bec | 7 comments I don't know. It sounded like fiction when it was described, but I suppose it could be a humorous retelling of actual events.

message 5: by bec (new)

bec | 7 comments I don't think that's it, but thank you Kym!

message 6: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Bec, I found this list at listopia that might be helpful;

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 7: by bec (new)

bec | 7 comments Thanks Laurie, I'll take a look.

message 8: by bec (new)

bec | 7 comments I didn't see anything that looked right on that list, but thanks for the help!

message 9: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
This may be a stretch, but Around the World with Auntie Mame - the 1995 edition includes a chapter called "Auntie Mame and Mother Russia."

message 10: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments bec wrote: "I didn't see anything that looked right on that list, but thanks for the help!"

You're welcome Bec, hope you find your book soon because it sounds hilarious and something I'd like to read.

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax could be a contender. It is very funny and, while not set in Russia, it IS set in Bulgaria during the days of Russian domination.

message 12: by bec (new)

bec | 7 comments Andria: doesn't sound right, but I appreciate it!
Ann: I'm wondering if she's confusing multiple books. I know she read and loved the Mrs. Polifax series, so she might have mixed some plot from them in as well as whatever other book she remembers the title from.

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
I'm going to suggest another one for you too. Not sure how much it matches your Mum's memory, but it's still something that she might like. Mrs. 'Arris Goes To Moscow

message 14: by bec (new)

bec | 7 comments Thank you Ann, I'll recommend it! (And will probably read it myself one of these days.)

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Bec, are you still looking for this or did you find it?