What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Thriller/Romance. Married man (politician? with kids) has affair with beautiful, mysterious young woman (architect) with dark past, says her older architect friend is abusing her. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph (last edited Oct 19, 2016 06:20PM) (new)

Steph (imogenos) | 3 comments I think this book is a thriller/romance -- I read it back in 2006, in the adult section of my library where I wasn't supposed to be.

A man, possibly a politician (he was running in some kind of election, had a wife and kids) meets a beautiful young woman architect. She has a fellow architect friend--an older charismatic man--who turns out to be the antagonist of the novel. Our main character and the young woman have a lot of sex, and she tells him about being abused by her architect friend, raped, getting beaten with his belt... In the end, I think the architect friend dies and the young woman is freed from his influence.

The architect friend was involved in some sort of crime syndicate. There was something about neckties as well -- the architect friend really liked the way an old man in some obscure village wove colorful ties. The sex scenes were pretty graphic too (to my then-teenager's mind), if that helps.

message 2: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments If it wasn't a romance but more of a mystery/thriller, it might be one I read a few years ago but can't ID, although I don't remember the woman being an architect. I remember lots of commentary about the male architect's self-designed house or flat. There was artwork -
I think a portrait or painting (of her, or of her great-grandmother and then inherited, or should have been inherited but stolen) over his bed - she may steal the artwork at some point. I think the woman had a lawsuit or was making phone calls to try to prove something (the provenance of the artwork, possibly). Does this sound like the same book you read?

message 3: by Steph (new)

Steph (imogenos) | 3 comments It may have been! It's honestly been so long I can't be sure of anything. There was also a description of the woman's "pearly toes," haha. Please let me know if you remember the book you're referencing!

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5093 comments Might it be A Reputation to Uphold?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Steph, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Steph (new)

Steph (imogenos) | 3 comments I actually am still looking! It’s been so long, but every so often I lie awake in bed and think about this book.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Steph, I added some plot details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)