Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Issues with Quotes > My Quotes

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 3650 comments I have deleted all your quotes that had zero "likes."

message 2: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments The volunteer librarians are only permitted to remove quotes that have no "likes".

message 3: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Just wondering: are any of the quotes actually from your books? Because that is what the quotes section is meant to be for.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Abcdarian wrote: "Just wondering: are any of the quotes actually from your books? Because that is what the quotes section is meant to be for."

This is not actually a requirement.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Andrea, Goodreads librarians are volunteers, and they are trying to help. Please treat them with courtesy, or you will be asked to leave this group.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Your initial request seemed like one which authors make in this group fairly regularly: please delete all the quotes I have added. That is what Dobby0390 interpreted it as, and not unreasonably. Please keep in mind that librarians are not Goodreads staff, and do not have the ability to see your account as it appears to you.

Since Goodreads policy is not to delete valid quotes with likes, Dobby0390 deleted the ones without them. Deletions of quotes are not a process which a librarian can undo.

message 7: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 3650 comments Andrea, I apologize for misunderstanding your request. As Rivka pointed out, authors frequently ask librarians to delete quotes, particularly when they have errors, as noted in your first post.

I assure you that I was not censoring your quotes; I did not even read them. I am sorry that you are upset over this and again apologize for misinterpreting your request.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13729 comments Andrea wrote: "I did not ask you to do that. I said the ones that I have deleted which doesn't say "In my quotes" next to them."

As far as I'm aware, that is only visible to you.

message 9: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments rivka wrote: "Abcdarian wrote: "Just wondering: are any of the quotes actually from your books? Because that is what the quotes section is meant to be for."

This is not actually a requirement."

I'm amazed. Perhaps it should be.

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13729 comments Notable persons don't always have books to their name (I don't think).

message 11: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments And people with books to their name are not always notable. ;-)

But the quotes must have been published somewhere, or how would they be quotes?

message 12: by lethe (last edited Oct 20, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

lethe | 13729 comments Interviews for example, or articles.

I added a quote not too long ago from a review by an author who said something I utterly agreed with. I figured since he was a published author it was allowed.

(And amen to that ;-) )

message 13: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments These days publishing might have to expand to include on air, etc., yes. I guess what I really object to is people making up their own quotes out of thin air and posting them. Call me a speed bump on the information highway. :-)

message 14: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13729 comments Abcdarian wrote: "Call me a speed bump on the information highway."

Ha! I agree, the quotes pages are overrun with incorrect quotes and worse, with 'quotes' from people who consider themselves notable when they really aren't.

message 15: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13729 comments Andrea wrote: "What is the discussion here?
My notability?"

My, there's no need to be so suspicious. You immediately think the worst when people say or do something.

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The original request has been resolved. If additional clarification is needed on policies regarding quotes in general, please start a new thread in the appropriate folder.

Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.