The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Sneak peek trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhQcK-...

So far so good. :)

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Get in my eyeholes!

message 3: by J (last edited Oct 19, 2016 11:27PM) (new)

J Austill | 72 comments Amazing. Short but absolutely stunning.

So glad to see the team additions.

message 4: by Sifou (new)

Sifou | 8 comments i think this is how u should make a teaser trailer they made us remember the first movie instantly with the song and they showed some impressive scenes and some marvel flavor with drax's joke and guess what ! no spoilers for the plot of the movie.

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Completely agree.

message 6: by Joel (new)

Joel | 236 comments Because movie trailers end up revealing so much, I usually only watch one trailer if it is a movie I am really excited about.

In regards to books, when it is a series, I only read the blurb of the first book to avoid knowing anything about future installments.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (apsalar) | 43 comments So much waiting for the awesome! Really excited for this one, and that trailer was well made.

message 8: by Walter (last edited Dec 03, 2016 06:24PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Second trailer. Another Marvel character makes her first cinematic appearance. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1BIid...

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments O.M.G!

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3639 comments Mod
Walter wrote: "Second trailer. Another Marvel character makes her first cinematic appearance. :)"

OK for those of us who have hardly read a Marvel comic in the last 40+ years and had never heard of GotG before the movie. Who is she?

I am assuming you mean the girl reading the Pratt's mind (pun intended) ;-)

message 11: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Walter wrote: "Second trailer. Another Marvel character makes her first cinematic appearance. :)"

OK for those of us who have hardly read a Marvel comic in the last 40+ years and had never heard o..."

Unless I'm mistaken, the girl with the antennae is Mantis. She was created during Marvel's martial arts era, the one that also produced Iron Fist and Shang Chi. She was one of the Avengers, once upon a time.

message 12: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3639 comments Mod
Ok thanks. She has an interesting back story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_...

I missed that whole era of comics. It is too complex (and expensive) to go back and read them all now.

message 13: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Ok thanks. She has an interesting back story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_...

I missed that whole era of comics. It is too complex (and expensive) to go back and read them all..."

Back in the day (late 70's, early 80's) I used to go to a local place in town called the Smoke Shop (sold beer and magazines, had pool tables), where they had a wall of comic books, and spend the better part of my weekly paycheck on that month's issues. Mostly Marvel, but a few DC titles.

message 14: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4146 comments That was a pretty decent Mantis. Minor character, being given a fair shake in GotG. Heck, the only reason I'd recognized Gamora and Drax was my love of the original Warlock storyline. (I read the other Warlock stories but didn't particularly love them.)

They are really digging into the bottom of the barrel here but it seems to be working. Heck, Dr. Strange hasn't had a regular comic for 25 years and they turned that into a blockbuster.

message 15: by Walter (last edited Dec 03, 2016 10:00PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Oh btw Tassie, a lot of the older comics are available via a subscription to Marvel Online. Just check out marvel.com.

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I wonder if Bug will show up?

message 17: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4146 comments ^ I guess I'm confused because Bug *tik* was a Micronaut.

message 18: by J (new)

J Austill | 72 comments I just looked up the character. First paragraph at Wikipedia says he was first a micronaut and later a guardian.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1160 comments I wonder if they're going to do anything with Mantis' "celestial Madonna" aspect. Maybe they'll make her into Adam Warlock's mother or something.

message 20: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Yeah, Bug was created by Marvel to go with the Micronauts, which was a toy line (I'm guessing because "tiny people" = insects, nevermind the scale is thousands of orders of magnitudes different), so when the license for the Micronauts went away they still had the rights to the secondary characters. And back then the Micronauts Princess looked a lot like Gamora, so someone probably conflated the two and moved Bug over to GotG.

I had the Acroyear and Baron Karza toys. Acroyear was boring but Karza was cleverly designed: all of his joints were magnets, so you could mix and match body parts. He had a horse (sold separately) which I didn't have, but it also has magnetic limbs for further limb swapping. I recall he had a belly missile and his fists could shoot, too. This was back in the day when we let kids play with tiny plastic parts. Apparently they just figured the smart ones wouldn't try to swallow the pieces.

My mom has let dozens (literally) of my young cousins play with my old toys over the decades, so Karza has gone missing except for a fist, and Acroyear is mostly intact except for the attachments.

I found out later that Karza was basically the exact same toy as Steel Jeeg, an anime robot, just painted black. There was also a white version called Force Commander. Karza was pretty clearly Darth Vader while Force Commander was a Stormtrooper. I hope whoever designed the original Jeeg got money for those iterations, but since it was 1970s Japan, probably not.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I want a Baby Groot.So.Bad.GIMMEE!!!!!

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments None of this Empire Strikes Back bullroar, it's right in the trailer:

"I'm your dad, Peter."

https://youtu.be/duGqrYw4usE

message 24: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Trike wrote: "None of this Empire Strikes Back bullroar, it's right in the trailer:

"I'm your dad, Peter."

https://youtu.be/duGqrYw4usE"

Nice!

message 25: by Darren (new)

Darren Trike wrote: "I found out later that Karza was basically the exact same toy as Steel Jeeg, an anime robot, just painted black. There was also a white version called Force Commander. Karza was pretty clearly Darth Vader while Force Commander was a Stormtrooper. I hope whoever designed the original Jeeg got money for those iterations, but since it was 1970s Japan, probably not.."

My older brother had Force Commander. I remember even him being improvised into a lot of makeshift Star Wars games...

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2312 comments Darren wrote: "Trike wrote: "I found out later that Karza was basically the exact same toy as Steel Jeeg, an anime robot, just painted black. There was also a white version called Force Commander. Karza was prett..."

I still have all of my old Micronauts comics -- in fact, I went back a few years ago and filled in the gaps in the series. The first dozen or so issues are a pretty solid Star Wars wannabe science fantasy/sword & planet story.

message 27: by Silvana (last edited May 06, 2017 11:27PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1661 comments I found the humour in this movie pretty annoying at times. Well the first movie was not too funny either but it was not annoying.

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2878 comments Silvana? SPOILERS. Don't do them.

message 29: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4146 comments Just saw this. Quite a romp. My daughter loved it.

message 30: by Darren (new)

Darren Rick wrote: "Silvana? SPOILERS. Don't do them."

Or don't read threads about movies that are out and you don't want spoiled, alternately.

message 31: by Rick (last edited May 06, 2017 06:25PM) (new)

Rick | 2878 comments ...It's release weekend. Err on the side of being nice about spoilers, not being a pedantic dick about precisely what constitutes a spoiler.

message 32: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4146 comments Yeah, most discussion boards I've been on have a "no spoiler" policy for opening weekend. After that, depends on the board. Most are okay with it after that.

But FWIW it's really not hard to hide spoilers.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1661 comments That's a spoiler? Edited just to be safe, apologies.

message 35: by John (Taloni) (last edited May 07, 2017 09:00PM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4146 comments On the subject of the golden race:

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1160 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "On the subject of the golden race:

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison Hurd | 227 comments I saw it last night and as I am a Marvel Studios fan rather than an original comics fan, I liked it. Spoiler tags around impressions in case you're like me and try to avoid all hype:

(view spoiler)

Turn off brain, insert popcorn!

message 38: by Stephen (last edited May 09, 2017 08:47AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1356 comments (view spoiler)

message 39: by Eric (last edited May 10, 2017 06:22AM) (new)

Eric | 1 comments Saw it last night and it was ok I guess. Like so many sequels it tries to turn everything up a notch and somehow misses the magic that made the first one work.

message 40: by Darren (new)

Darren John (Taloni) wrote: "On the subject of the golden race: blah origin.... retcon... blah"[paraphrased]

How can you be a fan of comics and be bothered by

a) retcons of any stripe?
b) origin retcons SPECIFICALLY?

message 41: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4146 comments ^Because I started reading comics when continuity mattered, and it's part of what drew me in. I've always disliked silly retcons.

Also, nyeah on your tone. Nerd shaming helps no one.

message 42: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1356 comments I loved it, it was fun and touching. IMAX 3D the planet looked great.

message 43: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2312 comments I also saw it in IMAX 3D and was mostly pleased, but (like many other 3D action/SF/fantasy movies) they kept turning the 3D separation up too high on long shots -- the opening sequence with a car driving along a road somewhere in the Midwest looked like nothing so much as a Matchbox (or Hot Wheels, if you prefer) car scooting along the floor.

message 44: by Darren (last edited May 10, 2017 06:54PM) (new)

Darren John (Taloni) wrote: "^Because I started reading comics when continuity mattered, and it's part of what drew me in. I've always disliked silly retcons.

Also, nyeah on your tone. Nerd shaming helps no one."

Tone? You're not a nerd if you think there was ever continuity in comics, so not sure how I could be shaming you... Nice try to deflect though. I was asking how you can have read comics presumably for years and not just accepted that retcons are part of the deal. But I guess you want to turn this into a discussion about how you can liberally complain about every artist bringing comics to big or small screens not being pure enough, while at the same time making sure you yourself are never challenged...

message 45: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I saw it today and loved it. Adding complexity and depth to existing characters and stories is not easy.

I also liked how each individual character arc supported the overall theme. So many disparate stories having common threads was pretty impressive.

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "^Because I started reading comics when continuity mattered, and it's part of what drew me in. I've always disliked silly retcons. "

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1160 comments You can be a fan of something and still not like an aspect of it. I've read comics on and off for 45 years and have never liked retcons either.
Darren, I hate to make this personal but I've looked over some of your comments of the last month and in 3 or 4 different threads you've belittled, insulted, or gotten into arguments with people. I don't know if it's on purpose but maybe it's time to look at how you're coming across.

message 48: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Phil wrote: "I don't know if it's on purpose"

Heh.

message 49: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1612 comments Saw it tonight on a $5 Tuesday. I really dug it. So of course I'm going to nit pick it. Worst part was that new Marvel Studios tag at the beginning, I much preferred the old comic book flipping one. I do think that some of the humor was a little forced and heavy handed. IIRC in the first movie it was used after tension was built up, and needed a release, or in low key moments. In this one it seemed to be used on a 3 minute clock, no matter if the scene called for it or not. I do think they missed a bit of an opportunity with Groot (view spoiler)

message 50: by Joel (new)

Joel | 236 comments I just saw it, and I thought it was fantastic. I loved the direction that they took the story. The fact that it was about the relationships of the characters and the recurring theme of family. The humor was again perfect, and the actions scenes were fun as well. Guardians is definitely up there with my top favorites for the Marvel movies, and I'm glad that James Gunn will be doing the third film.

« previous 1