2017, year of the fairytale discussion

Which fairytales?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorien (new)

Dorien (Book Bits) (bookbits) | 49 comments Mod
Which fairytales (and which retellings of these fairytales) should we discuss during 2017, the year of the fairytale?

We are going to be discussing one fairytale every month, so we need a total of 12 fairytales!

message 2: by Natan (new)

message 3: by Dorien (new)

Natan wrote: "Vasilissa the Beautiful: http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/ru...

Or, Boots and the Troll: http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/au..."

They look great, only I don't know if we can find any retellings of these fairytales!?

message 4: by Marita (last edited Oct 25, 2016 07:47AM) (new)

Marita | 3 comments Beauty and the Beast. I know a retelling of that fairy tale. It's called Truth in the Dark by Amy Lane https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

It's a really great retelling of the fairy tale, especially because the story is really close to the message of the original fairy tale. So if no one in the group is opposed to reading about two men falling in love, I highly recommend this book.

message 5: by Dorien (new)

Marita wrote: "Beauty and the Beast. I know a retelling of that fairy tale. It's called Truth in the Dark by Amy Lane https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

It's a re..."

Sounds great! That one will definately go on the list! I think we wil, very likely, discuss beaty and the beast because it has a wide range of retellings

message 6: by mars (new)

mars (marshallmallow) Possibly Cinderella?
And I don't know if this counts as a fairtytale, but it can be used in case we don't get enough (plus I love seeing all the different versions and spin-offs); Alice In Wonderland / Alice and the Looking Glass.

message 7: by Dorien (last edited Nov 01, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

keubeki wrote: "Possibly Cinderella?
And I don't know if this counts as a fairtytale, but it can be used in case we don't get enough (plus I love seeing all the different versions and spin-offs); Alice In Wonderl..."

I love cinderella! Great idea.. I do see a lot of alice and wonderland retellings going around and am really curious for them as well! it is definately going on the list of possibilities!

message 8: by M (new)

M | 2 comments Has anyone read the Lunar chronicles yet? I know that it is based on many classical fairy-tales. Anyone know of any interesting Rapunzel stories?

message 9: by Dorien (new)

Mezeleina wrote: "Has anyone read the Lunar chronicles yet? I know that it is based on many classical fairy-tales. Anyone know of any interesting Rapunzel stories?"

I do know them but haven't read them yet. I think it is a good idea to incorporate those! Then maybe it is a good idea to start of in januari with cinderella since the first part of the lunar chronicles is based on it. I think some people have read the lunar chronicles already but they can maybe reread them or just have one book that they dont have to read but can atill talk about!
Does anyone have other suggestions for cinderella retellings?

message 10: by Mya (new)

Mya (queenmya1) Kingdom Series Collection: Books 1-3 (Kingdom, #1-3)
by Marie Hall

Is the best you'll ever read trust me

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The whole lunar chronicles eries

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Chapek Mezeleina wrote: "Has anyone read the Lunar chronicles yet? I know that it is based on many classical fairy-tales. Anyone know of any interesting Rapunzel stories?"

I just read Cinder and plan to read the rest of the series. I know there's a Rapunzel figure with her own book.

Other Rapunzel retellings:

Zel is a few years old, but popular.

Bitter Greens is a mash-up of Rapunzel with the actual life story of Charlotte-Rose, who wrote the original Rapunzel fairy tale! What could be better than that?