Play Book Tag discussion

Winter Garden
This topic is about Winter Garden
October 2016: Historical Fiction > Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1472 comments Meredith and Nina Whitson are left caring for their elderly mother after their fathers death though they have never been close to their mother. The only thing that brings them together is the story their mother tells of Vera, a peasant girl in Russia in the 1940's. Meredith is having relationship troubles with her husband and buries herself in work running the family apple orchard. Nina is a photojournalist constantly on the move. Their stories bored me completely and I didn't care what happened to either of them. They are both completely stupid in seeing any clues in what is going on with their mother. The only part of the book I liked was the historical story in Leningrad, which kept getting interrupted by annoying Meredith and Nina. The historical story doesn't really get going until the second half of the book. Almost nothing happens the first half of the book. I really liked The Nightingale by the same author but this book was a complete letdown in comparison.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments What a disappointment!

message 3: by Blueberry (new) - added it

Blueberry (blueberry1) If I remember right, the ending though nice seemed implausible.

Rachel N. | 1472 comments Blueberry wrote: "If I remember right, the ending though nice seemed implausible."

The ending was very implausible. I won't go into any spoilers here but it is a bit of an eye-roller that the events would actually happen that way.