J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

Beren and Lúthien
This topic is about Beren and Lúthien
First & Second Ages > Publication of 'Beren and Lúthien' Announced

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Oct 19, 2016 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael | 447 comments Mod
Another new publication from Tolkien's scrapbook has been announced.

This one appears to be compiled from material previously published seperately, and inevitably illustrated by Alan Lee.

If that sounds like I'm less than enthused, I'm not. I'm actually very excited at the prospect! Hopefully, it will match the style of The Children of Húrin and look very good next to it on the bookshelf. However, prior to the publication of Beren and Lúthien, we have the imminent release of The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun to look forward to :-D

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Gazzolo | 390 comments Mod
Great news! That is my favorite story from The Silmarillion.

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)

message 3: by Michael (last edited Oct 20, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here's the Goodreads record for adding to everybody's wishlist!

Beren and Lúthien by J.R.R. Tolkien Beren and Lúthien by J.R.R. Tolkien

Shellie Taylor (shelliekennedytaylor) | 17 comments OMG I'm so excited! Definitely the best story of Middle-earth. Such a beautiful love story that really brings Tolkien's world to life.

message 5: by Hyarrowen (new) - added it

Hyarrowen | 65 comments It'll be lovely just to be able to down and read it like a novel.

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 38 comments Added it to my to-read shelf. But I guess that in Brazil it will be published one year, at least, after the original publishing date. But I want it published as soon as possible.

Reedmatthews | 1 comments I am very curious to hear who the narrator will be for the audiobook. Christopher Lee lent an entirely appropriate and dark tone to The Children of Hurin. I would quite enjoy hearing Ian Holm or Vigo Mortensen narrate Beren and Luthien's tale or Kate Blanchett. I firmly hope that the next book with be the Fall of Gondolin and the tale of Eaerendil narrated by Hugo Weaving.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone know when this will be out? I'm really excited now

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 84 comments lily.grace wrote: "Does anyone know when this will be out? I'm really excited now"

Beren and Luthien will be published in May, 2017 by Harper Collins it says on Amazon.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks x

Today is publication day!!

Off to the bookshop to see if my copy has arrived - I know I could phone to check, but...

message 12: by Hyarrowen (new) - added it

Hyarrowen | 65 comments The bookshop rang to say my copy is ready! Going to pick it up tomorrow.

I know you can get it quicker via internet retailers, but there's nothing quite like picking it up from a shop ☺

Slight panic when I got to my bookseller as the assistant couldn't initially find it, but it turned out to be put away "extra safely".

While I was there, I accidentally bought The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide by Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond. Oops!

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Gazzolo | 390 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "I know you can get it quicker via internet retailers, but there's nothing quite like picking it up from a shop ☺

Slight panic when I got to my bookseller as the assistant couldn't initially find i..."

Don't you love such 'accidents'? :) Indeed much better to go in, rather than call. I could go nuts in stores if I allowed myself.

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)

message 15: by Hyarrowen (new) - added it

Hyarrowen | 65 comments When I picked it up, one of the bookshop assistants said, "I really must read this myself!" "Hands off!" I growled, clutching my copy to me.

Hyarrowen wrote: "When I picked it up, one of the bookshop assistants said, "I really must read this myself!" "Hands off!" I growled, clutching my copy to me."

Ha, Ha! "My precious!" :-D

message 17: by Hyarrowen (new) - added it

Hyarrowen | 65 comments Michael wrote: "Hyarrowen wrote: "When I picked it up, one of the bookshop assistants said, "I really must read this myself!" "Hands off!" I growled, clutching my copy to me."

Ha, Ha! "My precious!" :-D"

Ahaha, very true!