Play Book Tag discussion

Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1)
This topic is about Girl Waits with Gun
October 2016: Historical Fiction > Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7208 comments The Kopp sisters are innocently riding in their carriage when they are hit by an automobile in 1914. The driver, who runs a silk factory, is irascible and incorrigible, and this is not something cute or romantic. Since their carriage is mutilated, although the sisters were all alive, Constance is determined that the driver, Henry Kaufman, pay for the damages, but he and his hoodlum friends begin harassing her and her sisters by throwing taunts, bricks through windows and so on and so forth.

By and large this work of fiction is based on real events and real people; Constance Kopp really was the first woman deputy in that New Jersey town, although she wasn't during this book, and the larger events are all historically documented. But of course the author says she invented some of the other people personalities, and so on and so forth. It is a novel.

This book was by and large a disappointment. The writing was okay, but not stellar. The POV voice is rather stereotyped for strong women of the age. As someone who minored in Women's Studies when it was a new field (no major in my city and the larger university didn't even offer a minor yet), I am sick and tired of the stereotypes of feminists. For one example alone, they didn't and even now don't all hate needlework and sewing (certainly many do) and many of them prided themselves on being feminine and ladies. So many things about this were predictable.

On the other hand, some of this book was rather fun to read, once I got past these disappointments and into the last third to half of the book. I fluctuated between 2.5 stars (at the beginning) and 3.5 (for parts of the book), but really am just going to give it a 3 as I liked it more than I disliked it.

Please, can't someone come up with some more realistic feminist heroines of the 19th and early 20th centuries?

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments HUGE disappointment for me as well! I heard the author speak on PBS and was totally excited about reading this. As interesting as the actual story is this could have been an amazing work. It was not! I warn everyone I can to stay away from this!

Karin | 7208 comments Regina wrote: "HUGE disappointment for me as well! I heard the author speak on PBS and was totally excited about reading this. As interesting as the actual story is this could have been an amazing work. It was no..."

I agree with you on the warning.

Jgrace | 2946 comments I am duly warned so I will have only myself to blame. I have it out of the library right now and I will probably read it just for the place names. I was born there.

Karin | 7208 comments Jgrace wrote: "I am duly warned so I will have only myself to blame. I have it out of the library right now and I will probably read it just for the place names. I was born there."

Oh, sure. I gave it 3 stars, which means I managed to like it overall despite its shortcomings. I was even tempted to get the next one to find out what happens to the three sisters, but don't need another 3 star series.