Clean,Non Religious-Reads discussion

General > How many here are proud Kindle readers?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C., Group Creator (last edited Oct 19, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
I thought I would never become a fan of eReaders..... until I bought my first E-ink Kindle Touch three years ago! I became an A-V-I-D convert, haha!

I love having a library of books at hand, being able to access a book in seconds, and how soothing the E-ink is to my eyes, plus having adjustable text size.
This year I bought a Kindle Paperwhite so I can read at night since there is no light near my recliner.

I also own a Kindle Fire, but wouldn't think of reading on it,since it is backlit and not E-ink! I bought it strictly for games and internet.

My new Kindle pleasure is my 30-day free trial to Kindle Unlimited which I will definitely subscribe to. Hard to top such great entertainment value for $10 a month!

How many others here are Kindle readers and Kindle Unlimited subscribers?

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments I but most of my ebooks via Amazon/Kindle but I don't have a kindle device. I have the app on my phone and tablet.

My mom has one, though, and liked it a lot for ease of taking a book with her to the doctor's office, etc.

I've been tempted by Kindle Unlimited, but haven't committed, yet. I try to support my fellow authors by buying.

message 3: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments (Not to say that KU doesn't support authors, it can just pay a little better royalties for most titles.)

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 47 comments I got a Kindle a few years ago and love it. I've also subscribed to Kindle Unlimited for over two years and feel that I definitely get my money's worth. I've discovered new authors and have read a lot of different types of books that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I, too, have downloaded the Kindle app on my phone and tablet and, even though I didn't think I would, I find I do a lot of reading on my phone. The small screen isn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. For traveling, nothing beats an e-reader. The days of filling my suitcase with books seem like a distant memory!

message 5: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Pattison | 8 comments I am but I read physical books too. I alternate between ink and paper, and my Kindle Voyage.

message 6: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
J.L. wrote: "I am but I read physical books too. I alternate between ink and paper, and my Kindle Voyage."

I do the same if my library doesn't have the Kindle edition, or if it's checked out, but the PB is available.

message 7: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Pattison | 8 comments I alternate based on what's available to me at the time. I adapt easily. ;-)

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken | 13 comments My wife got me a Kindle Fire, and it's great--although I sometimes spend more time surfing the internet on it than reading a book. I like the white-text-on-black-background setting, and the adjustable font size. (Yay! no reading glasses needed!) It's nice for reading at night in the dark. I'm cheap--I mostly check out e-books from the public library.

message 9: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
I also check out Kindle books from my library, and every day or two I check for Kindle Feebies here~https://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...

Plus I used the 30-day free trial at Amazon for Kindle Unlimited and now I subscribe for $9.99 per month, so I can select from so many books to read with instant download.

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Humphrey (phumphrey) I love the feel of real pages, but I do read quite a bit using the kindle app on my phone.

message 11: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie McCune (bonniemccune) About how many words can you get on your phone with kindle app? Should we be considering that format when we write? Any statistics on numbers of people using this method?

message 12: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
For me, I only read on my Kindle e-reader with e-ink! I would not even consider using a Kindle app to read on my phone!

I won't even read an ebook on my Kindle Fire which was bought, only for games and the internet.

message 13: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments Bonnie wrote: "About how many words can you get on your phone with kindle app? Should we be considering that format when we write? Any statistics on numbers of people using this method?"

Bonnie, the beauty of well formatted ebooks (with the exception of PDFs) is that the text is "reflowable" and adjusts to whatever settings the reader prefers. So if your ebook is properly formatted, I can have it sent at 22 pt and see 6 words a "page" if I want, or 9 pt and see a whole bunch more. (If my eyes were that good, LOL)

That goes for any ebook on any device, these days. I think even PDFs are getting around to being reflowable, although they're still glitchy. (It's also a reason not to put page numbers in your ebook. They are unnecessary at best, and distracting at worst, as they turn up in odd places on the page.)

message 14: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie McCune (bonniemccune) Thanks for the insights! Guess I need someone with a decent phone to try downloading things. And I never would have thought of the page numbers.

message 15: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes | 26 comments My husband bought me my kindle a few years back because he has one and he wants me to try it. It has a different feel to it, initially, so I wasn't really enjoying what I was reading. But, I've gotten used to it and now, I always bring it with me to work or wherever we go some place because of the fact that it's handy. I still prefer reading my paperbacks and hardcovers (at home though).

message 16: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie McCune (bonniemccune) I find as a writer that taking notes on an ebook actually works better than having dozens of sticky notes protruding from a hard-copy version. I can search the comments, too.

message 17: by S.T. (new)

S.T. Sanchez I love my kindle for traveling and going places, but I still love a actual book when I am at home curled up reading;)