Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Need Book Recommendations > Funny Supernatural Books

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (wravyn) | 5 comments I'm looking for recommendations about funny supernatural reads. The Charley Davidson series comes to mind; I just enjoy that kind of humor.

Some things I'd like:
* A description of the book that doesn't include the word "gorgeous" or synonyms; it's so overused
* A more tomboy female lead with a lack of obsession with clothing or shoes; it seems like every book I've read lately, the woman is completely obsessed with clothing and will constantly name-drop Prada or whatever famous brand of clothing/shoes or that she spent a huge amount of money on said clothing/shoes
* A relationship that doesn't just start with instant attraction; maybe running the gamut from disliking each other to friendship and then the possibility of romance; preferably without the couple instantly thinking of each other as the hottest thing they'd ever seen
* No love triangles; if there has to be a love triangle, the trio deciding to be together instead of just one couple happening

message 2: by BarbaraAnn (new)

BarbaraAnn | 43 comments I'd recommend Ilona Andrews - I think the Kate Daniels series is very funny. I also like Molly Harper's supernatural books.

message 3: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (wravyn) | 5 comments I've read both the Kate Daniels series and the Nice Girls Don't series, but I haven't read the spin-off series yet, and I don't know if I want to.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (rockin_robin) | 79 comments I just finished the first book in the Innkeeper series of Andrews and,while I'm not a big fan of the Kate Daniels books, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is some good humor throughout, but it's not a campy sort of humor.

The other series I would recommend for humor would be Shelly Laurentson, specifically the Pride and Magnus Pack series and Christine Warren. Most of the books by both authors feature feisty heroines and good humor.

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (wravyn) | 5 comments I read the Innkeeper series before I read Kate Daniels, it's what made me start that series. Thanks for the suggestions.

message 6: by Auriane (new)

Auriane | 1 comments I'd recommend all Books from Ilona Andrews.
But reading your post I immediatly thought about "A Demon Bound" by Debra Dunbar. It's a quite unusual heroine but if you like this Type of humour you're gonna Love the Series. But I'd recommend to read an exerpt First because humour is for everybody something Else.

message 7: by Dahrose (new)

Dahrose | 29 comments You need to dive into the Southern Sanctuary Series by Jane Cousins - she's right up there in the humour stakes with Shelly Laurenston.
Each book in the series features a new couple, but they live in a close knit community so fave characters re-appear. The dialogue is witty, and the characters fresh, better still, the heroines are all capable, smart and not really interested in making a love connection... until their perfect match comes along, and even then they fight the attraction.

Start with book one - To Woo A Warrior To Woo A Warrior (Southern Sanctuary, #1) by Jane Cousins

message 8: by Myst (new)

Myst | 108 comments I found Christopher Moore's vampire series quite amusing (and not clothing obsessed). Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1) by Christopher Moore .

I *would* recommend the vampire series by MaryJanice Davidson, except it is highly shoe fashion oriented. Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (wravyn) | 5 comments Christopher Moore was fun, and I read quite a few of the Undead series, but I just sort of got bored with it.

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Denman | 8 comments Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm definitely in need of some books that don't take themselves too seriously

message 11: by Sharona (last edited Oct 26, 2016 07:55AM) (new)

Sharona | 18 comments The first author I think of is Shelly Laurenston. She is very good, especially her Pride series. #1 is series The Mane Event
I absolutely LOVE Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Her female leads are awesome. #1 in series (novella-->) The Warlord Wants Forever. #1 full length A Hunger Like No Other.

Other books I also liked Here Be Sexist Vampires and Black Heart.

Let me know what you think. Happy Reading!

message 12: by Amyiw (last edited Oct 27, 2016 08:49PM) (new)

Amyiw | 173 comments Humor Bones are so different for different people.
There is dark humor, fluffy humor, snarky humor,... then the amount of humor to be, humor throughout, humor as a continuous side, humor every once in a while but keeps it fun (Ilona Andrews style), then if you want them by how much romance, well... that starts in on a whole other classification erotic to UF with PNR in between. I find it really hard to recommend humor as it is so different with every one.

Hounded by Kevin Hearne
A Demon Bound by Debra Dunbar
A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole 1st one isn't as humorous as the next ones. This was the first full length story. You can skip to No Rest for the Wicked if you wanted to.
Are all very humorous with good stories going on.

Then... great UF plots with a good amount of humor.
Ilona Andrews; Magic Bites & Burn for Me
Anne Bishop's Written in Red

If you do try more Molly Harper, try her Halfmoon Hollow series. I've read all her series and Jane was OK/good for me, like the humor not the stories so much. The Naked Werewolf... after the first one, I didn't appreciate the humor or the story much. First one I really liked. Halfmoon Hollow, I think because it is written differently with different characters each book, and it just hit the funny bone for me and I usually like the stories. Still it is not what I think to recommend off the bat.

There are a lot more but classifying them....
G.A. Aiken Dragon Kin, Richard Kadrey Sandman Slim, Gail Carriger Parasol Protectorate, Kerrelyn Sparks Love at Stake, Shelly Laurenston Pride, Queen Betsy MaryJanice Davidson, Jeanine Frost Nighthuntress, Carolyn Crane Disillusionists, Diana Rowland White Trash Zombie, Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse,Eve Langlais, Jodie Redford, Katie MacAlister, Kathy Love,

And right now I'm reading Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin and it is pretty humorous too.

Try Screw The Galaxy Hard Luck Hank if you want Scifi fantasy humor

message 13: by Ashley (last edited Oct 29, 2016 07:13AM) (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments Anything by Gail Carriger.

The Parasol Protectorate is great, and meets every one of your requirements, and I'm enjoying the spin-off series' as well!

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

Lesley Book Lover  (lesleyds) | 116 comments Have you read Lynsay Sands Argeneau series, or Richelle Meads Georgina Kincaid series?

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (innocent_sweetiepie) | 507 comments I agree with Lesley....Lynsay Sand's Argeneau Series is pretty humorous at times....I love the one called The Accidental Vampire in that series.....it seriously almost made me spit out my drink while reading it at some parts.....Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series is pretty awesome too at sections....and the Spin off book called First Drop of Crimson gave me the giggles at some parts.....If you are looking for a good overall supernatural series with all of the ups and downs in emotions and mixed in some comedy and erotica try Amelia Hutchins' The Fae Chronicles Series

message 16: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (wravyn) | 5 comments I've started the Imp series, and I've enjoyed it so far. I've read most of the Sookie Stackhouse series, the Night Huntress, Sandman Slim, and the Queen Betsy series. Maybe I read too much.

I've found that I don't seem to enjoy the books with male main characters as much, though.

message 17: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 173 comments Nicole wrote: "....Lynsay Sand's Argeneau Series is pretty humorous at times....I love the one called The Accidental Vampire in that series.....it seriously almost made me spit out my drink whi..."
The Accidental Vampire (Argeneau #7) by Lynsay Sands is my favorite from that series, I just re-read it. The later books just haven't hit recently for me and even in the beginning some of them missed the mark for me. Still great PNR fluff with humor.

Kristi wrote: "I've started the Imp series, and I've enjoyed it so far. I've read most of the Sookie Stackhouse series, the Night Huntress, Sandman Slim, and the Queen Betsy series. Maybe I read too much...."

Did you try Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne , I really recommend it even with the male protagonist. He has a side kick dog that really is quite good.

I loved the Imp series so far (on book 4) though it seems to miss for quite a few friends. The majority really like it but the others, really don't, hit or miss. Not their type of humor I guess. Or maybe the anti-romance that turned them off. I thought it very different and really liked the humor.

message 18: by Kerry (last edited Oct 30, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Kerry | 1 comments C.C. Wood's Bitten Series is just what you have described. Not girly, girly, dislike to lust with alot of humor on the way. All of the books in the series run this line of humor and romance but with kick a** chicks!!!. Book One "Bite Me" is usually free on Amazon. Bite Me

message 19: by Mary (last edited Nov 02, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Mary | 4 comments The Harper Hall series is the first that comes to mind for me for funny, snarky, quirky heroines and hot sexy alpha heroes (like the Charley Davidson series):

Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations #1) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Twisted by Isabel Jordan

message 20: by Knockin' (new)

Knockin' Books (knockinbooks) | 20 comments Mary wrote: "The Harper Hall series is the first that comes to mind for me for funny, snarky, quirky heroines and hot sexy alpha heroes (like the Charley Davidson series):

Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations #1) by Isabel Jordan [b..."

Absolutely agree on the Harper Hall series. Also, anything by Robyn Peterman is hilarious.

message 21: by Knockin' (new)

Knockin' Books (knockinbooks) | 20 comments FYI: Semi-Charmed is free on Amazon for the next few days:

Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations #1) by Isabel Jordan

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 73 comments Patricia Briggs shifter series starting with Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs is good UF, and pretty humorous also

message 23: by Romance (new)

Romance Rehab | 10 comments Best of the best for funny paranormal (IMHO) are:

Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11) by Darynda Jones How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations #1) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Twisted by Isabel Jordan Fashionably Dead (Hot Damned, #1) by Robyn Peterman

message 24: by Stephanie (Jump) (new)

Stephanie (Jump) (stephie416) | 8 comments I second GA aiken's Dragon Kin series and Shelley Laurestons Pride books (same author, different pen names).

For something a little different, I also really liked this series, a little spin on classic fairytales. Though the first one was arguably better than the second. Book 1:Wicked Ugly Bad by Cassandra Gannon. (There is no love triangle).

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (rockin_robin) | 79 comments I discovered a series on KU by Ani Gonzalez that was very humorous. Her Banshee Creek stories have a little bit of everything--humor, light romance, paranormal aspects. The books celebrate paranormal fans but also poke fun in a light-hearted way at the genre. I thoroughly enjoyed most of the books in the series. Must Love Ghosts (Banshee Creek, #1) by Ani Gonzalez starts the 4 book Banshee Creek series which branches off into Main Street Witches--still set in Banshee Creek with Here Comes The Witch (Main Street Witches #1) by Ani Gonzalez

message 26: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 20 comments Found this list today of the top 10 laugh-out-loud paranormal romances. There's some stuff on here that's hilarious, and some stuff I haven't read. Definitely worth checking out, though:

http://www.romancerehab.com/blog/top-...

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara | 19 comments Hahahaha these are awesome I love stuff like that!

message 28: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 71 comments I second Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews. It's a really good series. Along with these,

Something Witchy This Way Comes (Something Witchy, #1) by Veronica Blade My Wolf's Bane (Shapes of Autumn, #1) by Veronica Blade Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Tall, Dark & Lonely (Pyte/Sentinel, #1) by R.L. Mathewson Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Bound (The Crystor, #1) by C.K. Bryant

message 29: by Knockin' (new)

Knockin' Books (knockinbooks) | 20 comments Absolutely, 100% Robyn Peterman. And I found this, where you can get her latest for free:

http://www.romancerehab.com/blog/ente...

message 30: by Romance (new)

Romance Rehab | 10 comments Since so many people recommended Isabel Jordan, thought I should mention that I just got a notification that all 4 books are now on Kindle Unlimited:
Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations, #1) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Twisted (Harper Hall Investigations, Book 3) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Broken (Harper Hall Investigations, #4) by Isabel Jordan

http://amzn.to/2sE6UP8

message 31: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 73 comments wow, thanks!

message 32: by Stephaniec (new)

Stephaniec (goodreadscomstephaniec) | 1 comments Not sure if this fits but you could try Demon Hunting in Dixie (Demon Hunting, #1) by Lexi George

message 33: by Marie (new)

Marie (acheron1981) | 133 comments try any book by Katie McAlister. Lynsay sands argeneaux series and Shelley laurenston pride series.

message 34: by Vicci (new)

Vicci Baize (viccibaize) | 3 comments Shift squad series is pretty good!

message 35: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Nov 12, 2017 07:23AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) So, I've never read Charley Davidson (but I'm a binge-reader, so it will happen. Oh, it will happen...), but I love a good dose of humor in my UF, because I lean towards UF. Here are the ones I've come across and enjoyed:

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger -Someone already mentioned this one and it depends on your own brand of humor, but I love these.

Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez -I can't hardly talk to someone about funny supernatural books and not mention this one. It's silly and adventurous and has a big cast of characters. It's also a standalone.

The Stepsister Scheme (Princess, #1) by Jim C. Hines -To be honest, it's been ages since I read this series, but if you like fairy tales and humor (which I do!), it should win you over.

Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler -A bit more PNR than UF at first, these books had me laughing out loud. It kind of seems like an insta-love thing, but it surprises you later.

Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1) by Seanan McGuire -Last but certainly not least, try this one. No love triangle and if you don't laugh out loud at least halfway through the book, something is seriously wrong with you.

Okay, well...good luck!

message 36: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 24 comments I agree with Myst:

"I found Christopher Moore's vampire series quite amusing (and not clothing obsessed). Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1) by Christopher Moore."

He has a bunch of different ones out that I enjoyed reading...

message 37: by Andy (new)

Andy | 6 comments Agree with everyone who said shelly laurenston.

I found sherrilyn kenyon and eve langlais pretty funny.

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 73 comments R., i loved Fool

message 39: by Mr. (new)

Mr. M. | 9 comments Kristi wrote: "I'm looking for recommendations about funny supernatural reads. The Charley Davidson series comes to mind; I just enjoy that kind of humor.

Some things I'd like:
* A description of the book that d..."

Hi Friends,

I am not trying to plug my own book, but The Magical Adventures of Brian Leonard has that comedic element. I was a big a fan of the television series Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. The blend of darkness v. comedy was my goal. Check out the reviews. It sounds like what you are craving to read. As a reader I just finished a book titled Long Way Down. Someone has to make this into a movie. It was sensational.

Have a happy holiday season.

Best,

Mr. M

message 40: by Bunnycore (new)

Bunnycore | 28 comments Bless Your Heart (Fairy Tales of a Trailer Park Queen, #1) by Kimbra Swain <---- I just read this one and I have to say for a PNR it is funny. I know the feeling of finding something that is over done and this book isn't it. I just finished it two days ago and I am so glad that I read it.

Push and Pull (Vampire Favors, #1) by Emily Cyr It's funny and serious all at once but a very enjoyable read.

The Motion of the Potion (All My Exes Die from Hexes Book 1) by Killian McRae this is funny I don't think she has a clothing obsession.

The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1) by Angie Fox this will get a couple of giggles.

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells I love this series I listen to them all on audio and I am in the process of re-reading them in paperback. If you haven't read them I totally recommend them.

message 41: by EmmaMay (new)

EmmaMay | 12 comments Dahrose wrote: "You need to dive into the Southern Sanctuary Series by Jane Cousins - she's right up there in the humour stakes with Shelly Laurenston.
Each book in the series features a new couple, but they live ..."

Love the Southern Sanctuary series - not just funny, but clever and the romances are a remarkable combination of sizzling & sweet.

Book 11 - To Fight A Fate To Fight A Fate (Southern Sanctuary, #11) by Jane Cousins has just been released. Jane Cousins is awesome.

message 42: by Caelena (new)

Caelena Fey (caelenabooktopia) | 8 comments Slouch Witch Slouch Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic, #1) by Helen Harper The heroine is super lazy and funny, I've never read heroine lazier than her. The romance is also cute. Bonus part: because of how lazy she is, she would not even care about clothes, she would rather try to take a nap.

message 43: by Cally (new)

Cally Edwards | 2 comments Playing with Demons by Cally Edwards

Hi,
Okay so I know this my own debut novel.
But I have to say I think you would really enjoy it!
I wrote Playing With Demons because I love all the aspects you mentioned. I think it has the perfect balance of homour and I hope you do too!

message 44: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments Hi,

I have Immortal Flame out which is Book 1 of my Eternal Mates, an Immortal Dating site. It is a vampire romance spoof about a pompous British vampire who has to have several dates with a human to appease a gargoyle friend whom he got cursed. Book 2, Taming the Beast is due out in March and is about a grizzly shifter who is also on the dating site and matched to a human. The first couple of books in the series are spin-offs from my Bound Series which is a Shifter Serial so the characters are from there.

In all my paranormal there is humour, gore, and sex - the heat factor is dependent on the couple involved. It is also tailored to the story line, so some in more than others as if it's about a fight, they aren't stopping to have sex.

message 45: by Louie (new)

Louie Tighe | 2 comments Not Another Vampire Book by Cassandra Gannon

message 46: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Feb 27, 2019 05:47PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 86 comments Kristi wrote: "I'm looking for recommendations about funny supernatural reads. The Charley Davidson series comes to mind; I just enjoy that kind of humor.

Some things I'd like:
* A description of the book that d..."

These are the funniest paranormal books I've read:

Burn (Dark in You, #1) by Suzanne Wright Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1) by Suzanne Wright The Soul Summoner (The Soul Summoner, #1) by Elicia Hyder My Commander (Bewitched and Bewildered, #1) by Alanea Alder Shadow Cursed (The Daughters of Darkness #2) by N.L. Hoffmann The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Wolf Nip (Granite Lake Wolves, #6) by Vivian Arend The Alpha Meets His Match (Shifters Inc., #1) by Georgette St. Clair Big Bad Wolf (The Others, #2) by Christine Warren No Ifs, Ands, or Bears About It (Grayslake, #1) by Celia Kyle Love at First Roar (Grayslake, #4) by Celia Kyle What a Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3) by G.A. Aiken The Beast in Him (Pride, #2) by Shelly Laurenston Go Fetch (Magnus Pack #2) by Shelly Laurenston Tink's Neverland (Cosmos' Gateway, #1) by S.E. Smith I Like Big Dragons and I Cannot Lie (I Like Big Dragons, #1) by Lani Lynn Vale

Oh, and I don't remember which book in the series is funniest, but any of them with Levet, the Gargoyle in them are great simply because of all his one-liners. Here's a short story with him on the cover for a link, but don't start with this book Levet (Guardians of Eternity, #9.5) by Alexandra Ivy . I don't remember when he first shows up, but it might be in this one Embrace The Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, #2) by Alexandra Ivy .