The Book Was Better discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
BOOKS ON SCREEN > MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 83 comments Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs tells the tale of Jacob and how his grandfather was telling the truth about his peculiar stories. The movie was released on September 30th.

I found the movie to be a pretty good adaptation until the final act. What did you guys think?

message 2: by Buffy (new)

Buffy Naillon (buffytuf) | 3 comments I haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious as well, so I'm responding to this thread. Did you find that the ending was distracting? I'm hoping not. Riggs is a clever writer. I'd like to see good things done with his work.

message 3: by Aiden (The Book Scourge) (last edited Dec 23, 2016 03:15PM) (new)

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 83 comments Buffy wrote: "I haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious as well, so I'm responding to this thread. Did you find that the ending was distracting? I'm hoping not. Riggs is a clever writer. I'd like to see good things..."

Well...The ending was nothing like the book in the slightest. It got really confusing and ridiculous for me to care. Even though the book ends on a cliffhanger, the rest of it was great and made want to read Hollow City.

message 4: by Buffy (new)

Buffy Naillon (buffytuf) | 3 comments Captain Obvious wrote: "Buffy wrote: "I haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious as well, so I'm responding to this thread. Did you find that the ending was distracting? I'm hoping not. Riggs is a clever writer. I'd like to s..."

Hmmmmm. Now, I'm not sure I want to see it. I'm okay with cliffhanger books, but a complete ending change might turn me off.

Did the changes even make sense? I'll give you an example of what I mean by that question. The first "The Hunger Games" changed things in some places a great deal (like Flickerman telling the audience that the arena characters were dealing with trackerjackers.) That made sense to me only because the book is entirely first person. So is it a change like that - one that accommodates a new media? Or did it just totally not make sense?

I'm asking because I'd like to see the movies, but maybe they're better left for our local dollar theater rather than first run if that makes sense. Thanks for your input.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments It wasn't... bad. But... I think Tim Burton had far too much fun with it. The changes of peculiarity did work but I didn't see why it was necessary. I felt like the some of the casting seemed gratuitous. The editing wasn't that good.

But I did enjoy it. My favorite version of this book is still the graphic novel though.

Tarryn (thoughtsinintervals) I have been put off going to see it by the changes made to the characters. I may be wrong, but it seems that they have swapped the female love interests around. I was wondering if this is the case? I am a huge fan of the books and have read all 3, but I feel that swapping the characters limits the plot somewhat.

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 83 comments Tarryn wrote: "I have been put off going to see it by the changes made to the characters. I may be wrong, but it seems that they have swapped the female love interests around. I was wondering if this is the case?..."

Yes, Olivia originally had air powers while Emma had fire powers in the book. There wasn't a change in the love interest though.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

the book was better.

message 9: by Tal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tal | 1 comments Watched the movie 3 days after I finished reading the last. book. I was really hyped about this movie, but after watching it I really don't like it. I understand that sometimes the movie industry needs to change some minor details in the plot/characters and remove some parts but they made too many drastic changes for my taste. I felt like the book had one plot, and the movie had another. really hated the power swap as well. *sorry for bad English *

message 10: by Sid (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sid | 2 comments I really loved the book but while the movie was alright it definitely didn't live up to the book in my opinion.
I just didn't understand why certain changes were necessary, the peculiarity swap for example. While it still fitted in the plot it changed Emma's character entirely and I felt as though the character was much harder to connect with.
Also the movie was clearly more designed towards a family audience, which is perfectly fine, but I feel like I obviously would have had a different opinion if it was more directed towards my demographic. So that should probably be taken into account.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments The movie's changes pretty much killed any chance for a sequel. I watched it again on HBO or something a couple of days ago and while it was enjoyable, it was like a different story than from the book.

Tiara | 7 comments Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "The movie's changes pretty much killed any chance for a sequel. I watched it again on HBO or something a couple of days ago and while it was enjoyable, it was like a different story than from the b..."

Agreed. The book was much better for me. I think it was difficult project and they made an attempt. But in the end, it was just too lofty of a goal to try to make those 3 books into one movie. It fell flat for me. It seemed like a made-for-TV movie rather than something made for the theater.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments The changes, I felt, were unnecessary and pointless. Their peculiarities are actually a part of the story and not some gratuitious trait put there by the author. I saw no point of changing Emma's power from fire to blowing air AND floating. There's already another child with that power. I don't get it.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments The story follows the first book mostly. The powers are switched around among the children. Then it was like Tim Burton simply woke up one morning and decided to film off the seat of his pants. He had TOO MUCH fun with it.

While that made for an entertaining film, it was confusing for those who didn't read the books and disappointing to those who loved the book.

Tyler Sartori | 4 comments I loved the book SO much that I actually refused to watch the movie after seeing the trailer. To me, the easiest part of recreating a book like that would be keeping the powers with the children they belong to? Maybe I’m just too invested but as soon as I saw that the powers were swapped amongst the children I scratched it off my “to see” list immediately. I’d rather not taint an image of something I love.

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Lewis | 11 comments This movie adaptation made me mad. I am one of those people that love books, and it made me upset when they changed some characters around.