UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Boy do I love being an indie author

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments Admit it, how else am I going to get the chance to drop thermite grenades down a lift shaft onto the bad guys :-)

message 3: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments And, how would I command dragons to do my bidding one day, and wow an audience with my guitar playing the next (lessons are not an option; I've tried).

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Become a cartoonist? . . . :-p

message 5: by David (new)

David Edwards | 445 comments There's probably a massive on-line role-playing game where you can do it!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments I can give stories satisfactory endings. And have my characters playing massive on-line role-playing games where anything is also possible...

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I can indulge my basest desires on people. (they are only figments of my imagination, after all)

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4249 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I can give stories satisfactory endings. And have my characters playing massive on-line role-playing games where anything is also possible..."

Satisfactory endings is the main reason I write. Can't trust other people to provide them exactly the way I want.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments Precisely!

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1040 comments I can get all the crazy stories, happenings and what-ifs out my head AND not have an ending that makes me go " really? I read an entire book for that!!!"

message 11: by Anna (last edited Oct 20, 2016 02:57PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Mostly I just write, I don't get too excited about it, I get deep into the story either in my head or as I type it and feel a sort of satisfaction (there's probably a better word than that, but it's late and I'm a bit zzzzy). But tonight was different. I was catching up on Poldark, series 2, episodes 6 and 7. I suddenly flung my arms in the air and declared 'I've written like that!' It was the scene where the soldiers were ambushing the free traders on the beach which is exactly what happens in ODN.

If I hadn't become an Indie author, I would never have felt that exhilarating shot go through me. I probably would have felt awful that I'd written a worthy scene but it was stuck on my old pc.

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments I get to voice opinions I could never share anywhere else.

message 13: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4249 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Mostly I just write, I don't get too excited about it, I get deep into the story either in my head or as I type it and feel a sort of satisfaction (there's probably a better word than that, but it'..."

I know what you mean. I have to keep my mouth shut a lot - the husband doesn't need me telling him what's coming. Some things are signalled/forewarned rather predictably.

message 14: by Anna (last edited Oct 21, 2016 03:25AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Yes Alicia, Aged, (that's what the family call my husband) was out, so it didn't matter that I got excited, and repeated several times something about having written like Poldark. I have to keep quiet too, Alicia, no one wants to know!!!!! It's so good to know I'm not the only one in this boat - lots say similar things on GR.

Fortunately, I don't usually feel the need to tell anyone. No one, not even Aged and the family, knew I was writing until I published my first book. And I liked it that way.