Drop Everything And Read discussion

Questions > out of curiosity - audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments do you guys add audio books to your read list or only books you physically read?

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Tadlock | 4 comments Yes I do add audio books. To me it is just a different delivery system. I'm still able to think & reflect in the work so I've "read" it.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments I've never looked at it that way. Thank you. I always feel like I am cheating when I listen to an audiobook and I feel like it hinders me from truly enjoying it.

I know that's probably weird Lol

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Haha, I also debated on whether it counted as "read" on my list, but I decided it does. I absorbed the book, even though it was a different delivery system, as Carolyn says. :-)

message 5: by Raven (last edited Oct 19, 2016 03:55PM) (new)

Raven (fallenravenqueen) | 4 comments personally I do count them but only recently. I agree it's a different delivery system which can also be applied to ebooks.

With audiobooks I use to have a hard time getting adsorbed in the plot. I've found it really depends on not just the book but the narrator also. A horrible narrator can make me hate a book in just a few sentences. Then I find if i read it personally I like it. Now it can be the opposite also. I have had times when I had a hard time getting interested in reading a book but greatly enjoyed listening to it. In my opinion it all depends on the narrator. The narrator can make or break a book.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 28 comments I've started counting audio in my "read" section recently too. Mainly to keep track of what I've read. I have a terrible memory.

message 7: by martin eden (new)

martin eden | 405 comments I've never tried audio books. I think I would have problems to get absorbed by the plot to finally get lost very quickly.
But I think I would count them as read too.

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Tadlock | 4 comments Sarah wrote: "I've never looked at it that way. Thank you. I always feel like I am cheating when I listen to an audiobook and I feel like it hinders me from truly enjoying it.

I know that's probably weird Lol"

Sarah wrote: "I've never looked at it that way. Thank you. I always feel like I am cheating when I listen to an audiobook and I feel like it hinders me from truly enjoying it.

I know that's probably weird Lol"

I only listen to books that have a strong, straight forward narrative. Otherwise I get lost. I mainly listen because my TBR list is so long, and I like to make use of my time in the car.

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie I personnaly have trouble imagining the world when I am just listening to the book, so I only do so when I have already read it. That's why my audio books mainly are Harry Potter 1-7, the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I mostly listen to audio books when I drive for a longer time. But to actually answer your question - I think you should count them if you feel like you would have equally enjoyed it as a physical copy :)

message 10: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Alliss (akalliss) | 20 comments The only way I could get through Ancillary Justice was via audio and I'm really enjoying The Traitor, Baru Cormorrant. I guess it depends on the narrator. You have to have someone who's voice takes you into the story.

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophiesworld) I definitely add audiobooks. Some years most of the books I've 'read' have been audiobooks. Last year it would be at least half. You still have got through the book and (hopefully) followed the plot.

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 2 comments Since over 50% of my "reading time" is spent with audio, I definitely add the on my books list! I have a special shelf designated for audiobooks.

message 13: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments I do occasional audiobooks when I have an evening to myself.

message 14: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 12 comments Of course I add audiobooks! I listen to audiobooks mostly when I can't read, like when doing the laundry or other chores, walking the dog, commuting etc. So I also have physical books or e-books that I read parallel, or sometimes the same book with Whispersync for Voice.

message 15: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 29 comments Physical books are gradually giving way to ebooks. Will ebooks too be gradually replaced by audio books?

message 16: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Claire wrote: "Since over 50% of my "reading time" is spent with audio, I definitely add the on my books list! I have a special shelf designated for audiobooks."

I agree 50% of my time is taken up by audiobooks and I feel that this counts as reading time because like I would with a book; if there is a chapter or a few 'pages' that I don't absorb first time I go back and listen again to them.

I also enjoy listening to books that I have already read as for me this allows me to visualise the story in a whole new way.

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 2 comments Terrence wrote: "Physical books are gradually giving way to ebooks. Will ebooks too be gradually replaced by audio books?"

Terrence, I think that just as we all have our favorite "flavor" of entertainment (music, television, reading), there will always be people who would rather read with their eyes than listen with their ears. It's an entirely different experience--even if you read and listen to the same exact book. That being said, I don't think eBooks will be replaced. But I do think that more readers will add listening to their choices for reading, as it's the one medium you can enjoy while doing something else (housecleaning, driving, etc). It allows us one more way in our busy lives to multi-task and enjoy a good story at the same time.

message 18: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Claire wrote: "Terrence wrote: "Physical books are gradually giving way to ebooks. Will ebooks too be gradually replaced by audio books?"

Terrence, I think that just as we all have our favorite "flavor" of enter..."

Absolutely couldn't agree more.
I try and have a good balance of both because I do love having the hard copy of a book and just the general feel of a book, hence why I have never bought a kindle.

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Lynn Bacon (clhayton55) | 98 comments When I buy the eBook I usually buy the Audiobook. So with the eBook, besides the Audiobook, I can listen to the book that way while reading it. I can switch back and forth between the eBook and the Audiobook. I sometimes like to read an actual book as well.

message 20: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments Terrence wrote: "Physical books are gradually giving way to ebooks. Will ebooks too be gradually replaced by audio books?"

Nah. People enjoy various formats. Physical books will never go away. Audiobooks are getting more and more popular, but there's room for all formats in the market.

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Lynn Bacon (clhayton55) | 98 comments So true D20. I definitely agree. Everyone has there preference whether it be a physical book, an eBook, or Audiobook. I prefer all 3. When I have an eBook, I usually have the Audiobook so when I'm in the eBook, I'm able to listen to it as well.