Beta Reader Group discussion

Just Drink: It's in their DNA
This topic is about Just Drink
Authors Seeking FREE Betas > YA/NA novel, Just Drink, 95K

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Leigh (kaialeigh) | 6 comments Hi all, I have a novel currently self-published that I haven't yet found an audience for. The story's a little anime/90s TV show, so it'd be great to get some feedback to determine if the reason I struggle to get interest in it is that I just haven't found the right audience for it, or if it misses the mark in significant ways that need to be fixed.

It's based in a fictional place which is partly based on Detroit, Michigan, with the ruins of Grand Central being the central set piece.

On the surface it's a (modern 'vampire-by-science') coming-of-age tale of a girl who goes from complete innocence and dependence on her keepers, to facing her true nature and becoming independent and gaining agency over her own life. Underneath this are themes of addiction, family and loyalty, and a metaphor for women's struggle with femininity, sexuality, finding their personal power and dealing with the (really subtle metaphor) of being controlled by blood.

The blurb: (part of the problem is figuring out to describe this book in a way that will attract an interested audience).

Just Drink is the story of a teenage girl and the leader of a street gang whose DNA is altered by a retrovirus, forcing them to drink human blood to survive.

Together, they must find a way to free themselves of the bloodlust that threatens to destroy them, while fleeing the men who contaminated their DNA.

_____

Anyone keen, let me know. :-)

Cheers,

Kaia.

message 2: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Leigh (kaialeigh) | 6 comments Sorry, correct, that should read based on MICHIGAN central station... although it's not mentioned by name. :-)