Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Kimmy Chronicles Readathon!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments So excited for Saturday. I set up my book stack and calculated it all so I can read for 24 hours. I'll be finishing 7 books and the last hour and a half or so will be just reading as much as of the mammoth of a book as possible.

My reading list:
The Art of War: Break through the blocks and win your inner creative battles by Steven Pressfield

Don't go where I can't follow by Anders Nilsen

National Velvet by Enid Bagnold (the only one I'm a little worried about not getting into, but I have a backup if this one isn't my soeed)

Down a Sunny Dirt Road by Stan and Jan Berenstain

Horse Sense by Bonnie Bryant

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Can't edit on my phone but that should say speed not soeed lol

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 2 comments How will you read 7 books? And do you plan to do anything else? I'm amazed!

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments AJ, I know my page per minute calculations, so I nerdily figured that out and these books more or less fit into 24 hours. I won't do anything else that day. I plan on making a pot of pasta the might before and just easily heating that up for meals and snacks (so it'll only take a min or two out of my time, and as it's heating up I still can be reading.)

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Holy cow lady! You can calculate your reading speed? The only way I can do that is when I listen to an audiobook (hehehe).

Good luck with your books! I hope the one you're worried about turns out to be enjoyable!

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments I read a ton and somewhere along the way of my reading life realized I read approx a page a minute which makes the calculations somewhat easy. So therefore a book that's 150 pages will more or less take me 150 minutes. Lol

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Kimberly wrote: "I read a ton and somewhere along the way of my reading life realized I read approx a page a minute which makes the calculations somewhat easy. So therefore a book that's 150 pages will more or less..."

Ah. Smart. Yeah, I am a super slow reader. Probably a page every two minutes. Sometimes more than that.

message 8: by Susan (last edited Oct 19, 2016 04:32PM) (new)

Susan | 380 comments Confession, Kimberly, I do the same thing - calculate my reading speed. It does tend to vary though. The only book on your list I've read is Alexander Hamilton. I probably read this book around 30-40 pages per hour due to its density. Other books I can fly through at 50-60 pph. I'm jealous that you average 60 pph and can maintain it for 24 hours!

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments :) So excited!! Beginning in 3 minutes!!

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments 9:19 am just finished The War of Art
165 pages
Originally started this in February, but put the book down. I re-read the 30 pages that I read in February at the start of the readathon and just finished 11 minutes ahead of my estimate.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments 9:53 just finished my 2nd book Don't Go Where I Can't Follow. Way ahead of schedule! I thought this book would take me an hour and a half, but it only took me about 30 mins. I didn't realize how quick of a read this is, but that's good because I am about to start a book that might take me a bit longer.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (mbaroque) | 7 comments Go you! I'm so slow hahaha

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Well....I had to put down National Velvet. I tried it for 30 mins and it just wasn't speaking to me enough. So I brought in my back up Norwegian Wood! I started this a while ago and got to page 46 but then Hamilton took over my life. So I'm starting now from page 46 so I'll be reading 249 pages of this today since I do want to take my total pages read into account. So far I've read 255 pages.

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Fell slightly behind schedule I think because of the changing of the books. Just finished Norwegian Wood. A book gets a spot on my "desert island" bookshelf if it makes me cry. This one made me cry and I loved every bit of it. Haruki Murakami just made a fan out of me today.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Go Reader Go!!!! Hope you are enjoying all of your books.

Keep reading and have fun :)

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Thank you Robin! :) I'm having a blast!!!!!!!

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Finished Berenstain Bears autobiography! Super cute! Now onto The Saddle Club: Horse Sense. Throwing it back to a series I loved as a elementary school kid.

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Just finished Horse Sense. It was surprising how the story started coming back to me even though I haven't read that book in at least 17+ years!

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments And about to start the book I've been most excited about! (Although Norwegian Wood *just* might take the prize for my favorite book this readathon.) Practical Magic....here I come! I think this will take me until about 3:15ish to finish if I did my math correctly (and there's a chance I didn't. Math isn't my strong point AND I've been reading a bit faster actually during the readathon even with small breaks to do the hourly challenges which isn't something I factored in when I made my schedule of books.)

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments You are so well prepared I love it! Read on! ~Ashley

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Kimberly wrote: "I read a ton and somewhere along the way of my reading life realized I read approx a page a minute which makes the calculations somewhat easy. So therefore a book that's 150 pages will more or less..."

I think this is the coolest thing I've read on these threads! ~Ashley

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "I think this is the coolest thing I've read on these threads! ~Ashley "

:) Thanks!!

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Just finished Practical Magic! So different from the book which I kept having to remind myself, but I overall enjoyed it.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Just finished George Washington's Socks. This book is definitely responsible for me falling in love with time travel as an elementary schooler back in the day!

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Also, with the completion of G.W. socks, I completed all 7 books that were on my list! Also, I wanted to do a running total of pages that I read so I'll do the calculations before reading as much of Hamilton until the readathon is over.

166 = 1,311 pages so far!

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments 1,311+40= 1351 pages read in total!

Not surprisingly, my reading slowed way down during this last stretch. I had to do a lot of re-reading of paragraphs to get meaning so alas I only read 40 pages in Hamilton.

Sleep now!

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments I really miss the readathon so much!!!

message 28: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Kimberly wrote: "I really miss the readathon so much!!!"

Wasn't that great fun? You rocked it with over 1300 pages. Way to go!

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (momwholovestoread) | 20 comments Thanks Ann!!! What's the best book you read during the readathon?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.