Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

Help?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jean (new)

Jean lusk | 2 comments I recently lost all of my books due to water damage. What are some cheep places to buy books? I'm limited on money do to repairs, but really want to build my collection again.

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Elizabeth (rage_89) | 2 comments I love going to Goodwill and browsing the books there! Usually they are just $2-3 and you never know what you might find! Sometimes new releases in really good condition as well as the older classics and things.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 357 comments Libraries sell used books, extra copies and donations they receive.

message 4: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 16 comments I'm not sure where you live, but in Texas we have Half-Priced Books, where they carry both new and used books. I've bought dozens of hardback books there in basically new condition for $5 or less.

message 5: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 2 comments I've made a couple of orders from Bookoutlet, and have been pleased. The only thing is you have to pay for shipping. If you keep an eye on Amazon they have deals, so watch for those. Good luck!

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I've used www.thriftbooks.com. Used books are often under $5.00 and shipping for orders over $10 is free.

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (ttrivium) | 14 comments I second the library suggestion. I recently picked up a good 8-10 books for $1 or $0.50 apiece at a library book sale. All in good condition, too. You may have to wait though, as I know my local library only does book sales once or twice a year. You'd have to talk with the librarians.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy My library lists our book sales on booksalefinder.com - site that lists book sales by state so you can find an upcoming book sale near you.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mkowalewski) | 1 comments Library book sales, garage sales, your local bookstore might also have a used book section?

message 10: by Rebonkula (last edited Oct 24, 2016 09:45AM) (new)

Rebonkula (rebonka) | 3 comments Abebooks.com is a great place to find almost anything you're looking for. I use it all the time. Sometimes it takes a while for the books to come because its a worldwide site, but it draws from used book stores which provide options for both new, used, signed and rare books. Its definitely worth looking at.

message 11: by Judith (new)

Judith (jaensea) | 65 comments One of my local libraries has a store where they sell donated used books, another one has twice yearly sales of donated used books. These library sales usually have very good books, some of them very recent publications. Check libraries in your area to see if any of them have these sales. Thrift shops, garage sales and especially estate sales are also good places to get cheap books. I've gotten some amazing books at estate sales. Half Price book stores have clearance shelves in the back of the stores where they sell books for even cheaper than they normally do.

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureendowning) Amazon also has used books relatively cheap.
If you find a book for $.01 add 3.99 and its four dollars per book.

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureendowning) Amazon also has used books relatively cheap.
If you find a book for $.01 add 3.99 and its four dollars per book.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (thespineview) | 6 comments One of the places I like to buy from is Better World Books. Great deals and they use profits to fund literacy around the world. Love that I can help others as well as get great books for a great price. Here is the link http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Dec 19, 2016 01:56AM) (new)

Lisa (seabelis) | 6 comments I do very well in charity shops. I buy my books almost exclusively from them.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Rogers | 20 comments Jean wrote: "I recently lost all of my books due to water damage. What are some cheep places to buy books? I'm limited on money do to repairs, but really want to build my collection again."

So sorry about the loss of your library! Inquire about library book sales & many libraries have a few shelves of books for sale all of the time as a fundraiser. Goodwill & other thrift stores are a great way to spend some time. The best on-line site I have found is Thriftbooks; my favorite when I know what I want.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Will you be setting up a discussion board for us to post our individual challenges, e.g., as we had in 2016?

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (sarcasmandscifi) | 9 comments abebooks.com is a great website for book buying. It's basically a network of different used bookstores. They have things that are difficult to find as well as more common stuff, the pricing is generally good, and they offer free shipping within the US.

message 19: by Niffer (last edited Dec 28, 2016 09:28AM) (new)

Niffer (fenifur) | 21 comments I'm not sure how I'd cope with that *looks lovingly at all 800+ books and considers taking them upstairs* I feel awful for you :(

We have a 'bookcycle' near us. You can take 3 books for free every day..! Could be worth looking for something similar nearby to you.

message 20: by Nora (new)

Nora (shoutsilence) | 1 comments I would also suggest looking around your area for anyone who, sadly, tosses out books into the recycling/trash or side of the road. You would not believe how many books I found just laying on the streets in bags. They might be in bad shape, but with a good cleaning and some new book owner love, tossed books can quickly become your new favorites.

There are also "little free libraries". People set up small structures where people in the area can place and take books. Here's a link to the map where you might find one: https://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap/

Not all LFLs are listed, so you might have to ask around. Also, dollar stores are surprisingly sometimes stocked with big name authors. I guess rejected books get put here?

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 2 comments Hello,

The link for the downloadable version of the 2017 Read Harder Challenge does not work, could a new version be posted? I also tried on the book riot website, but the site is extremely hard to navigate and is not accessible. There is a large speech bubble and Q at the top of the page, and all the image links are broken- this is on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Does anyone else have this problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy Bayer | 3 comments I'm also having trouble navigating the site and can't figure out how to post the list of books I plan to read for the various challenges.

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 129 comments Cynthia wrote: "Hello,

The link for the downloadable version of the 2017 Read Harder Challenge does not work, could a new version be posted? I also tried on the book riot website, but the site is extremely hard t..."

Does this link work? Scroll about half way down to get to the link. http://bookriot.com/2016/12/15/book-r...

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 2 comments Theresa wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Hello,

The link for the downloadable version of the 2017 Read Harder Challenge does not work, could a new version be posted? I also tried on the book riot website, but the site is ..."

Hi Theresa,

That link still doesn't work- tried it on mobile, safari, firefox, and chrome. :(

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori French (ltfrench) | 12 comments Cynthia wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Hello,

The link for the downloadable version of the 2017 Read Harder Challenge does not work, could a new version be posted? I also tried on the book riot website, ..."

Finally!
This one did work for me, using Safari. It is an imbedded link down in the reading, just above the required reading list.

It is strange that it has some uneditable suggestions, of books, for some of the categories.

Wish they could just fix the original one!

message 26: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) Jean wrote: "I recently lost all of my books due to water damage. What are some cheep places to buy books? I'm limited on money do to repairs, but really want to build my collection again."

http://www.half.com, an eBay company. I used to buy and sell there a lot. You pay 1 cent for a book and $2.99 for shipping most times.

Also, if your town has a dump/recycling center they may have a swap shop. Items are usually free to residents.

message 27: by Jacque (new)

Jacque Hodges (Carter) | 1 comments Our library in Phoenix has books in the lobby for sale for .50 or $1 all the time. Also, goodwill is cheap. My friend has found many first editions there in perfect condition. amazon often has books for .01 with a $3.99 shipping. Do you have a list of your books? If you post it in the group, maybe some of us will have extra or unwanted copies. I would be devastated if I lost my library.

message 28: by Jean (new)

Jean lusk | 2 comments Jacque wrote: "Our library in Phoenix has books in the lobby for sale for .50 or $1 all the time. Also, goodwill is cheap. My friend has found many first editions there in perfect condition. amazon often has book..."

I added the books that need replaced to this list https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/?ie=U...

message 29: by Neda (new)

Neda (nautilusned) | 2 comments I don't know if this is true for other areas, but our local recycling center has an area dedicated to books, where people can drop off or take away as many books as they want. It's mostly junk, but hidden gems appear every now and again

message 30: by Tanima (new)

Tanima (nerdtanima) | 7 comments Hi everybody, I'm new to this group, and I'm really excited to start the 2017 RHC!! I read the the task list, but was wondering if there's a thread to post our progress? Or do we need to keep track of our progress on our own?

Thanks!!

message 31: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) Tanima wrote: "Hi everybody, I'm new to this group, and I'm really excited to start the 2017 RHC!! I read the the task list, but was wondering if there's a thread to post our progress? Or do we need to keep track..."

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 4 comments New question for the group: Has anyone ever taken advantage of the 30% discount after finishing the challenge? How long did it take to get your discount code once you emailed the completed list?

message 33: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 172 comments I never got my coupon after last year's challenge. I wondered if it had something to do with me emailing a Word document instead of a photo of my list, as they had asked?

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara | 4 comments Tammy wrote: "I never got my coupon after last year's challenge. I wondered if it had something to do with me emailing a Word document instead of a photo of my list, as they had asked?"

Okay. Yeah, I emailed a PDF, but maybe I'll try a photo. I emailed them directly as a follow-up, but I still haven't heard back to my follow-up email.