The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
This topic is about Lines of Departure
Frontlines > LOD: Section 3: Chapters 18-27 (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsay | 546 comments Section 3

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Chapters 18-27 and the Epilogue.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

Lindsay | 546 comments "Freighter of Doom". Heh.

Lindsay | 546 comments "unfortunate freighter/planet interface"

Ok, I'm all done. Review is here.

I enjoyed this much more than the first one, but I do have a few minor issues.

The "only the people I know and like personally are good people" trope is a bit done to death in military SF. It was actually a trope in the last two military SF books I've read (Outriders and The Tabit Genesis) and I'm getting a little sick of it. There's got to be room in the genre for people with different points of view who also have integrity.

The other issue I have is with the Freighter of Doom. Great plan, but it doesn't seem particularly innovative. Hitting a nuke-proof spaceship with something that will do orders of magnitude more damage seems like a no-brainer, and relativistic impactors have been proposed in space warfare already.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Ha yeah that is a good point about the Freighter of Doom. Has the military no scientists whatsoever!?

I thought the choice Andrew made to side with Fallon and the civilians could have deservedly had a little more angst, if that makes sense. Really, when he chose to side with them he was essentially (as far as he knew) giving up any chance of going home, helping his mother, getting married, etc. Of course, the way things turned out, that is not the case, but still - it felt like a harder choice to me than he made it out to be....if that makes sense.

And wow is earth in trouble! I hope they figure out they should fill up a whole bunch of old freighters with water :)

Lindsay | 546 comments Well, except that they're already on Mars. Relativistic impactors work great against point targets. Not so great on planetary colonies ...

Suzanne | 1582 comments Ah good point :) It really seems pretty hopeless!

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
So my main issue with the Freighter of doom was that it was destined to work. Why? Because I didn't think the author would kill off his protagonist. That said I still felt the tension of the ridiculous plan, in particular when he ramped things up with the arrival of the other fleet. I enjoyed it.

About that though. The SRC I thought was the Russians. He'd often talk about the Russians or the Chinese or the SRC, but I guess they are/were part of the same faction? I probably just missed that detail in the first book.

He still hasn't explained what the other English speaking countries are doing though. Or Europe for that matter. Currently the US is strongly allied with Canada, UK, Aus, and NZ. I don't really see that changing.

The Commonwealth is obviously including US and Canada (and Mexico? that's not really clear). Let's say the SRC covers Eastern Europe (Russia/former Soviet Union) and most of Asia? That still leaves the EU, South America, Africa and the Oceanic region unaccounted for really. I guess that's not too important to the story, but you'd think the German guy would at least clarify where Europe was in all of this.

Anyways, I'm glad to see there is finally a temporary truce, and finally a possible weapon to use against the alien ships. The big thing will be to truly weaponize the idea in a way that can be mass produced to deal with the invasion fleet.

I do agree the whole black and white nature of the colony invasion was hard to swallow. I've never heard of the "only the people I know and like personally are good people" trope, but now that you mention it, I see what you mean.

I'm sure not everyone who didn't go rogue were bad people though. Below command staff, each ship is pretty much going to have to follow what their individual ship decide. That or find enough like minded people to mutiny.

Plus there is Suzanne's point about his fiance and his mother. Especially since reconnecting with them. I would have liked to have seen him struggle more with the decision. I'd have liked to see some alternative views from aboard the ships. Obviously there was more nuance that could have been explored.

I think that Mr. Kloos has a tendency to really ramp up the hopeless of the odds, and then manage to still write himself out of it. That's both good and bad. It can make me shake my head at times and wonder just how he plans to write his way out of it. However I find that tends to make for a more entertaining story if done well.

Overall though, I found this book much better than the first, so hopefully that continues. I look forward to doing the third book with you guys sometime. Especially since I own it and the 4th one already :)

Lindsay | 546 comments SRA = Sino-Russian Alliance. Sino-Russian is Latin for China.

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Ah. I think I kept saying SRC. lol. Oops.