The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

2016 Group Reads - Archives > The Moonstone - Fourth Narrative to conclusion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pip (new)

Pip | 468 comments Comments for section 6 and whole book - Fourth Narrative to conclusion

message 2: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2803 comments Mod
I thought that Ezra Jennings' narrative was the most moving in the whole book. My heart went out to that poor sick man, and I am glad that he new some happiness in his tragic life.

message 3: by Lori, Moderator (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1323 comments Mod
I'm so glad he turned out to be such a good person! So, we never find out anything more about him, other than that helping Franklin was a bright point in his life.

Rachel is very quick to believe in Jennings' hypothesis. She still loves Franklin and wants to believe he is innocent. She is an intuitive person (unlike Betteredge and Clack) and was crushed on "finding out" that Franklin was a thief, and now she has a reason to believe that she had been right the first time.

I was so sorry to find out that the thief was Godfrey! Betteredge and Clack had painted such a beautiful picture of him, but then, as I mentioned, they had never shown themselves to be intuitive. Rachel was also fooled by him - she respected him as a cousin and, for a short while, as a prospective husband she could respect and be happy with. But, despite his good looks and apparently altruistic character, she never fell in love with him, and instead fell for Franklin. (You can tell that I really liked Rachel. She reminds me of Lizzie Hexam from Our Mutual Friend - the kind of woman Lizzie would have been if she had been born and brought up as a lady.)

I'm glad the diamond is back in India. I don't excuse the murder of Godfrey to get it there, but it was taken from India through theft and murder (and, previously, from it's original place in India to Seringapatam in the same way) and I'm glad to see it back where it belongs.

Finally, have YOU read Robinson Crusoe? I know the story but have never read it. I suppose I'd be pretty low in Betteredge's opinion.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

I have read an abridged version of Robinson Crusoe, maybe 30ish years ago. I have a copy of the unabridged version just waiting to be read.

message 5: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

I really enjoyed this book for these reasons: a clever plot, the different sections with the different writing styles in the narratives, the likeable characters, especially Gabriel, the annoying character, Miss Clack, and the villain, Godfrey Ablewhite. Even though he was the villain, I didn't see that he had to die for his crimes, but the author did(obviously).

message 6: by Lori, Moderator (new)

Weren't there many people who wanted to read it? :-(

message 7: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Yes, since it won, but where are all the comments? I read this boom with another group at the same time, which usually has fewer comments, but in this case their response was stronger.

message 8: by Lori, Moderator (new)

I loved the book and will definitely read more by Collins.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

I liked The Woman in White, the only other Collins book which I have read.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 747 comments No Name and Armadale are also terrific.

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 747 comments Just finished! My favorite thing about this book is how well Collins uses the Unreliable Narrator. Through their own depositions It's easy to see how people were taken in by Godfrey Abelwhite. This was a reread for me, giving me the opportunity to focus on the style as much as the story. Knowing the villain made it fun to see how Collins dressed him up as "innocent" yet left plenty of clues to his guilt. Also, to see all the red herrings.

I think Collins had to kill Godfrey off for two reasons. 1) All of his treachery and true nature would have been exposed. Given his character, he would likely commit suicide under the strain and likely become more sympathize to the reader. 2) No messy trial.

Collins is also great with names. Abelwhite for a guy who has whitewashed himself in public opinion. Drusilla Clack for the endlessly annoying spinster cousin.

I know this was a rather quiet read as far as participation, but I enjoyed your comments very much.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

I had Moonstone years ago and thought it was a good book, but this time around
I loved it. It is fun sharing comments and reading other comments, especially when some one notices a detail that I didn't catch.

message 13: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 31 comments I just joined this group early in November, so I did a quick read of the book because it's been on my shelf for a long time, and I always meant to get to it. I really enjoyed it, and the setup with all the characters really did remind me of Agatha Christie. I didn't guess the thief of the stone (either of them!), but I wasn't really surprised about Godfrey because he really didn't seem to care about the charities or the ladies involved with them, so I thought he was some kind of scam artist. Franklin as the thief did shock me though, and I was happy when he was vindicated and got the girl. I really liked Betteredge- I found him to be a very sympathetic character, and although I hated Miss Clack, I found the titles of her tracts to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the story.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Yes, Franklin was surprised he was the thief too. As for Miss Clack's tracts, I am sure they made excellent firestarters.

message 15: by Roxane (new)

Roxane I finished this book late last night, chuckling all the way through the end. I adored the character of Betteredge, and found the passage where he was writing down all the instructions to be hilarious. The question he posed regarding the "busted buzzard" absolutely cracked me up! I suspected Godfrey all along, but many times was not sure.

The things I liked best about this book are the narrative style, the sense of humor, and the names of the characters.

I think we should consider reading "Robinson Caruso". After reading "Moonstone", I am more than a little curious!

message 16: by Lori, Moderator (new)

I've been considering it. For some reason I thought it would be too moralistic, but then the same author did write Moll Flanders and Roxana, and it's only 320 pages, so not a huge deal if I don't end up liking it as much as Betteredge.

The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No Name (other topics)
Armadale (other topics)