Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2016-11 - Witches - what will you read

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8470 comments Mod
Lusie has picked a terrific shelf for November, Witches

I just adore Deborah Harkness's All Souls Trilogy -they kept me sane after the birth of my second son :)

Any favourites/recs?

message 2: by Bea (last edited Oct 19, 2016 01:45AM) (new)

Bea | 4424 comments Mod
Here are the ones that pop for me on my TBR (Wishlist):
Grave Witch by Kalayna Price GA
The Trouble With Magic by Madelyn Alt Aiken
Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell GA
Firespell by Chloe Neill GA
Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton GA
Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris Aiken

All would be new to me. And, all are located in the two libraries I use.

message 3: by Tien (new)

hm, none of those are on my tbr...

I think my goal will be NOT to start another series which is hard because as I checked out the shelf, only 1 out of 6 Witches books I own is stand alone, bah!

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1344 comments Wow, great shelf! I don't usually read witches books, although I've read some. So I'll have to step out of my comfort zone, which is nice :-)

My favorite/recommendation for this shelf would definitely be Macbeth, but then I'm predictable, it's one of my favorite books ever!

I'll be reading one of these:

Equal Rites - recently added to my wishlist
Which Witch? - just discovered thanks to this shelf
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - from my wishlist

message 5: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2955 comments Like Tien I don't want to start a new series...
but I'm tempted to start A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness . I've wanted to read that for a while.

There are many books on this shelf that I want to read, but I still need to check which are standalones.

message 6: by Lusie (last edited Oct 19, 2016 02:01AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2955 comments I might read one of these
Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White The Witches of Cambridge by Menna van Praag

A book I enjoyed that is on this list is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern . This isn't really about witches, but it is about magic. I gave it 5 stars. This is written in such a beautiful way that it makes you want to go to the night circus. It starts a bit slow (when they are studying magic), but it is worth it to continue reading.

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments If I haven't read it by the time November comes along, I'll probably read the latest Kate Daniels. Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9) by Ilona Andrews

The series is fantastic so if you're looking for something to read in this shelf, consider the first book Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews .

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4424 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "hm, none of those are on my tbr...

I think my goal will be NOT to start another series which is hard because as I checked out the shelf, only 1 out of 6 Witches books I own is stand alone, bah!"

Hmmm. Not up for a new series, Tien? At least my TBC (to be continued) and NIS (next in series) lists will always be full! Hehehe!

message 9: by Susan (last edited Oct 26, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Susan | 3411 comments Mod
I have a question for those of you familiar with Terry Pratchett. Would it be bad if I start with Equal Rites, which is listed as #1 in his Witches series, but # 3 in Discworld? I've never read any of the Discworld books. Should I really read # 1 & #2 in that first?

message 10: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1344 comments I don't know, Susan, I've only read the first two books in the Discworld series. My take on it is that there are different sub-series, so I'd say you can read the first book in the Witches series without having read the first two. But we should wait to hear from someone who is more familiar with the Discworld series.

message 11: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2955 comments DG, good idea to read that series! I have read the first book and like it. I actually have to read Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews for the Trim that TBR. I think I'll read it next month, so I can use it for this as well :)

Susan, great idea to go for the witches series by Terry Pratchet. The only book I've read from the Discworld series is Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2) by Terry Pratchett . i really liked it, and it was no problem that the book was in the middle of the series. I didn't feel like I missed anything from the previous book. I might pick up the first with book.

message 12: by Tien (new)

Bea wrote: "Hmmm. Not up for a new series, Tien? At least my TBC (to be continued) and NIS (next in series) lists will always be full! Hehehe! "

I don't even want to look at mine!
Besides which, I've just read a full trilogy on witches Worldwalker by Josephine Angelini so not in the mood to start a series but I could probably do stand alone.

message 13: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2955 comments Tien, I have too many unfinished series so I try not to start yet another one. I have found 2 stand alones I might read for this, maybe one of them is something for you?

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White The Witches of Cambridge by Menna van Praag

message 14: by Tien (new)

Thank you, Lusie, I have found 1 stand alone witches book which I actually own (can go on Trim too) :)

Old Magic by Marianne Curley

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 147 comments I'm going to read Half Bad for this month.
Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy, #1) by Sally Green

message 16: by Cecile (new)

Cecile Grudzinski Lusie wrote: "Like Tien I don't want to start a new series...
but I'm tempted to start A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness. I've wanted to read that for a while.

There are many books on this shelf that I..."

I absolutely love that series Lusie.

message 17: by Cecile (last edited Nov 07, 2016 12:23AM) (new)

Cecile Grudzinski I am going to read The Witches of Cambridge by Menna van Praag

message 18: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2955 comments Thanks for letting me know, Cecile! I think i'll read it next year

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin | 797 comments I don't read witch books as a rule, but if any show up in Guards! Guards! then I will use that book for this. I am known at my house as the Halloween Scrooge. I buy candy since my family insists we need to give it out, though, but I try to only support Mars (used to be M&M Mars) since they are still paying my mother in law a pension. I'm not sure about now, but they were a great company to work for when she used to work for them.

message 20: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Moger | 19 comments I will be reading The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch .

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3411 comments Mod
Thanks for everyone's helpful comments. I'm going to go with Equal Rites.

message 22: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod | 211 comments Hex Hall

message 23: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 142 comments I think I'm gonna start with A Discovery of Witches

message 24: by Cecile (new)

Cecile Grudzinski Melissa wrote: "I think I'm gonna start with A Discovery of Witches"

Ooh! I love that series.

message 25: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 142 comments I've had it on my to-read list for nearly 2 years so seems like a good time to start!

message 26: by Cecile (new)

Cecile Grudzinski Melissa wrote: "I've had it on my to-read list for nearly 2 years so seems like a good time to start!"

I just read the 3rd one recently and was sad when I finished it. It's a trilogy, so no chance of another book. :-(

message 27: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 142 comments Maybe best I space them out then haha. I'm so bad at reading series altogether anyway! I have so many on the go!

message 28: by Cecile (new)

Cecile Grudzinski Melissa wrote: "Maybe best I space them out then haha. I'm so bad at reading series altogether anyway! I have so many on the go!"

I definitely feel your pain. I do as well, and what am I planning to start? Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series. 42 books. ~smh~