Minotaur Book Club discussion

Sorrow Road > Acker's Gap

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Minotaur (new)

Minotaur Books (minotaur-books) | 28 comments Mod
The West Virginian town of Acker's Gap is an important element in Sorrow Road. What are some positives and negatives of the town? Would you live there?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie  (gpangel) I don't think I would want to live in a town where everyone knows everything about each other, like they do in Acker's gap. They even know what nights Bel's boyfriend sleeps over! I'm just too private. Also, the winter weather is a little too cold for my taste, so no, I don't think I would want to live there. But, it makes a great setting for this series!

message 3: by Minotaur (new)

Minotaur Books (minotaur-books) | 28 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "I don't think I would want to live in a town where everyone knows everything about each other, like they do in Acker's gap. They even know what nights Bel's boyfriend sleeps over! I'm just too priv..."

I agree with you that Acker's Gap makes a great setting, Julie, and also about the cold -- the way she described the characters driving those mountain roads in those icy conditions made my heart race!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments I also agree that Acker's Gap is a great setting, and I felt like the location was like another character, adding to the overall tone of the plot. The treacherous winter conditions in the mountains would be enough to keep me away though! And like Julie, I prefer a little more privacy in my life than Acker's Gap would provide. However, I can see how the close-knit ties would be a positive in the sense that you would know that someone was looking out for you because of where you both came from. I felt that was at least partly why Bell ended up honoring Darlene's request, even though they were not close.